Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Michelle Branch - Hopeless Romantic (April 7, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 5, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

KidLightning likes this.
  2. I loved The Spirit Room and Hotel Paper when they came out, so I'm definitely interested in this.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  3. cwhit

some of my favorite radio pop songs ever were done by her. not sure i'm thrilled about patrick carney because i'm never a fan of the sound he puts on records (and i can't stand the black keys) but we'll see, i have no clue what to really expect at this point

troyplaysbass likes this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

carney produced the best lana del rey record, i have high hopes

5. cwhit

but he also had a very strong influence in the sound of that record, and the bluesy guitar feel he always seems to bring to the records he produces definitely does not appeal to me very much

6. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i feel that but there's also a dreaminess and punchiness to that record i really love that i think could apply really well to michelle branch songs, reminds me of jeff bhasker productions

cwhit likes this.
  7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'll believe it when I see it but...HYPE

GrantCloud likes this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Michelle Branch's "Breathe" is such a solid song.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  9. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Honestly so excited for this I hope it's in the vein of her first two albums. Wasn't a huge fan of the country vibe she was going for.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

All You Wanted is probably my favorite song of hers. Everywhere is pretty close. One of my favorite pop artists for sure.

11. cshadows2887

"Tuesday Morning" and "Desperately" probably top the list for me. Unless you include The Wreckers, and then it's a whole other story.

12. cwhit

i'm definitely team everywhere

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That Wreckers album is so good. I hadn't listened to it for years until this morning and I forgot how great it was.

14. Michael Schmidt

I definitely prefer solo Michelle to the Wreckers.

15. cshadows2887

Oh it's tremendous. "Tennessee" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Have you ever heard Harp's solo album? I was just kinda realizing I probably should.

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. Michael Schmidt

Tuesday Morning, while a good song was the song that made me think country might be in her future. I think we all agree that's a country song without the bells and whistles.

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"The Good Kind" is my favorite on there, but "Tennessee" is wonderful as well.

I haven't, actually. I probably should as well.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

Not sure how that disqualifies it from being one of here best, but I agree it's country-tinged.

19. Michael Schmidt

I wasn't trying to insinuate that haha. I was just going on a tangent about the song. My bad.

20. cshadows2887

Ah okay nevermind then. Play on.

The cool thing to me about her country writing was that is was basically just her singer-songwriter stuff that lends itself well to country instrumentation. The difference between her solo stuff and Wreckers stuff isn't that wide.

21. Michael Schmidt

I do agree with that for sure. I am not a huge country person. A little goes a long way for me. And when I do listen I like more of the folk side of it like John Moreland. So I do prefer the solo pop/rock sound myself.

One thing I found interesting with the Wreckers is that while Branch wrote on most of the songs, the ones that got pushed or were going to be pushed before they disbanded were the few she didn't have a writing credit. I wonder if that was because she was new to the country side of things, or if it was control thing by Hart's people. I never looked into why they split, but I always thought that was weird, given Branch's songwriting prowess and previous success.

22. cshadows2887

Honestly, Harp just had the best songs on the record. "Tennessee" and "Cigarettes" are can't-miss.

23. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, very true. Those songs were very good. Does Jessica still make music? I haven't heard from her since her solo debut.

24. Michelle

Tracklist

1. Best You Ever

2. Fault Line

3. Not a Love Song

4. Heart Break Now

5. Hopeless Romantic

6. Living a Lie

7. Knock Yourself Out

8. Temporary Feeling

9. Carry Me Home

10. Bad Side