Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Michael Jackson Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 8, 2016.

1. cshadows2887 Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 24, 2020)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, and actor. Called the King of Pop, his contributions to music and dance, along with his publicized personal life, made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.

[​IMG]

2. cshadows2887

Grading to Thriller today. Not too many albums live up to hyperbolic hype. This does.

I've officially always underrated "Baby Be Mine" before now.

SpyKi likes this.
  3. Oh man, "Baby Be Mine" is my favorite on there.

SpyKi likes this.
  4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Came in here to sing "Baby Be Mine"'s praises. It's been my favourite on Thriller for a while now and might even be my favourite of his in general. What a good thread so far.

5. Steel

Regular

Have you heard his demo for The Girl is Mine W/o Paul McCartney? Michael Jackson was a genius there still a treasure Trove of things we're waiting to get released. The world will never see another like him

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. Paul Beaumont

I'm not really that excited for more new stuff. Xscape was great but the basic ideas were all already there. I don't want another thrown together release where the music is just made up around half an idea he had way back when.

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

My favorite MJ solo albums always were Off The Wall and Invincible. Is that weird?

8. Paul Beaumont

Off The Wall definitely not. Invincible maybe a little haha Although that still has some fantastic tracks.

9. The Lucky Moose

I think Off The Wall's sound aged better than that of his (for a lack of a better word) pop albums (I also love those albums though). As far as Invincible goes.. I guess I just have a weakness for Darkchild (I also adore Brandy's Full Moon album, for example).

10. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Invincible isn't one of my favorites (that'd be Off the Wall and Bad), but it's still solid. I love "Butterflies" and "Speechless".

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

"Speechless" is lovely but as full albums Off the Wall and Thriller are miles ahead of his other work imo.

12. The Lucky Moose

I can definitely see how most songs of the albums between Off The Wall and Invincible are more "timeless" than anything on Invincible. I just really like the sound of Invincible I guess.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. cshadows2887

I've always thought Invincible was a bit underrated

The Lucky Moose and Contender like this.
  14. Paul Beaumont

I'd agree it's a bit underrated, those first four tracks are all killer. There is just a bit too much filler on there.

15. Steel

Regular

Not weird at all, you like what you like aND it's good

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  16. goation

Regular

I'm revisiting his discography today. I remember enjoying his first few Mowtown solo albums more than I do now. They are pretty cookie cutter Mowtown. Good, but nothing too special.

17. The Lucky Moose Oct 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 22, 2017)
    The Lucky Moose

I think there is some great stuff on those albums. Not as great as J5, but still good. Even the most generic Motown songs from a certain era are good. You also have to remember than an album back then wasn't exactly what an album is now or was in the 80s.

goation likes this.
  18. Paul Beaumont

Yeah I like Farewell My Summer Love, One Day In Your Life and Got To Be There. Certainly some good stuff hidden away in there but most of it, to be expected in fairness, is all a bit saccharine.

goation and The Lucky Moose like this.
  19. cshadows2887

Cookie-cutter Motown is usually still pretty great, tbh.

20. goation

Regular

I totally agree. Cookie Cutter mowtown is great and I could listen to "I Wanna Be Where You Are" and "Ben" all day. I was just saying that it's nothing special like his later work

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

how could you not love Ben, a love song to a rat

22. The Lucky Moose

23. cshadows2887

I know it's technically a Jacksons album, but man is Destiny a fantastic album. Michael is just a megastar all over it.

24. The Lucky Moose

This is a good thread about MJ's relationship to race.

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

was this demo released anywhere officially?