Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mewithoutYou Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 9, 2016.

1. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

yeah, i picked up that 7in on RSD. i much prefer the album version.

i'm REALLY bummed i didn't get the Ten Stories repress

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

@AndrewSoup yeah, I think the album version is better but it's nice as an exclusive b-side.

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Nice and Blue 2 is my fav mwY song. It's legit perfection.

Wolf Am I, O Porcupine, In a Market Dimly Lit, A Glass Can Only Spill, whole album is fucking majestic.

AndrewSoup, Lucas27 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

I'd actually say Nice and Blue Pt. 2 is my least favorite on Brother, Sister and I still love that song to death. That album single-handedly changed the way I thought about music, because mwY was probably the weirdest thing I had heard at that point and yet it was such a perfect album at the first listen that it cancelled out any reservations I had about it's weirdness. Never put off music for being "too weird" from that point on.

I'll just keep saying it for people who haven't heard it yet: album is perfect. Absolutely perfect.

5. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

My favourite track on Brother, Sister is all of the tracks on Brother, Sister. I legit can't even fathom trying to pick favourites, that album is such a complete work that trying to compare the songs on it to one another seems like an exercise in self-torture.

6. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

speaking of perfect things, have you heard of Ten Stories?

fronkensteen likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

In A Market, and O Porcupine are my fav B,S songs.

teebs41 likes this.
  8. Deathco_019

Drummer

Wolf, Am I is my fucking jam

9. Lucas27

Trusted

"Shadow am I! Like a suspicion that's never confirmed but it's NEVER denied! Wolf am I!...no shadow, I think is better, as I'm not something, but MORE LIKE THE ABSENCE OF SOMETHING, so SHADOW AM I!!!"

10. fronkensteen

Trusted

Wolf Am I! (and Shadow) was a song that I used to think was good, but not on the same level as the rest of the album. Then like a year or so ago it hit me in a way that felt like I had never heard it before and destroyed me. That song is incredible.

teebs41, AndrewSoup and SpyKi like this.
  11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

its one of their best tracks really

teebs41 likes this.
  12. SpyKi

It's absolutely one of their best imo.

13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Wolf Am I was the first mwY song I heard. Loved it immediately.

A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains is my favorite, if only for "the unquestionable is questioned but makes no reply! What new mystery is this"

jordalsh likes this.
  14. SpyKi

I've always thought "We went to Portugal and Spain, and in her mind the entire time it rained" is such a clever lyric that I love so much.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

wolf am i
    glass can only spill what it contains
    nice and blue pt 2
    sun and the moon
    c minor

are 5 perfect tracks

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

theyre so good at writing rhythmical riffs and just organically grooving the fuck out

Id say they are the best 2nd or 3rd(?) wave post hardcore band. period.

Unwound is the best 1st wave post hardcore band

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  17. Deathco_019

Drummer

We should have a post-hardcore thread where the different waves can be discussed and which bands are important to the genre.

Like, is the first wave basically the early 90s while the second would be the late 90s with bands like At The Drive In and Refused? And then the third wave would have bands like mewithoutYou, Thursday, and Thrice?

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Saw these guys live with SA. I've always really enjoyed some songs, but never got into their work as a whole, but now I'm interested. They were definitely worth seeing live, and I'd pay to see them again as headliners sometime.

Thinking of spinning B, S tonight, based on the consensus here.

19. Deathco_019

Drummer

I think Brother, Sister is definitely their best. Definitely Check out Catch For Us The Foxes too though, then move onto Pale Horses and Ten Stories.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd say Pale Horses is their most accessible album, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to start with Brother, Sister either. Just leave it's all crazy and A->B Life for the end, those are kinda the outliers and (IMO) weaker albums than the rest.

21. Lucas27

Trusted

Absolutely agree with this. I've always kind of liked how mewithoutYou's albums are all on a sound spectrum from heavier post-hardcore to softer folk elements. I think as a general rule they've done best when they balance both extremes instead of going just to one side.

If I were typing up a rough sound guide to mwY's albums for a first timer, this is how I'd list them from heaviest to softest:

A->B Life - Very aggressive and dark post-hardcore music with elements of garage rock. Dissonant. Screamed/spoken vocals.
    Catch for Us the Foxes - Very ambient indie rock with post-hardcore elements. Melodic but spoken word still emphasized.
    Pale Horses - Similar to Foxes in style/heaviness, but more emphasis on melody and balance of sung and spoken vocals.
    Brother, Sister - Very diverse and balanced. Ranges from heavy indie rock with post-hardcore elements to full on folk music. Balance of sung/spoken vox.
    Ten Stories - Brighter and catchier. Melodic indie rock with consistently folky elements. More emphasis on singing than spoken word for the most part.
    it's all crazy! - Basically campfire folk music. Strangest mwY album by far. Completely sung vocals outside one track.

22. same same same

sweater poorly knit would be up there too.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  23. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

This is a good breakdown of their discography. I tend to hang in the middle of the spectrum, but when the right mood hits I'm listening to the edges.

FTank likes this.
  24. fronkensteen

Trusted

Just don't sleep on ...it's all crazy

That album is crazy underrated.

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

could be part of the reason they didn't go with this version. makes me curious if Aaron didn't give Josh the idea for that part, though, since Aaron had an appearance on that album, as well, and seems to have been a fan of shape note singing for a while.

also, another vote for Wolf Am I.