Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mewithoutYou Band • Page 112

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 9, 2016.

1. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

as sad as this news is, I’m not super surprised.
    hoping that the “active band” part of the statement means they’ll still do the occasional show and (maybe?) still put out music here and there, but don’t want to get my expectations too high.
    I really thought they might be done after Ten Stories, so both of these last two albums have been a gift.

really looking forward to this coming tour and whatever comes next.

wood&wire and Dog with a Blog like this.
  2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve only missed two or three shows since 2002 because of either money or being sick or something. Otherwise I make it.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  3. Dog with a Blog

Now I have to get a mwY tattoo

Dog Fish, Mary V, beachdude and 2 others like this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

maybe a few

6. Dog with a Blog

Very true. It’s felt like they could break up at any moment for a long time now haha. Please pull a Beatles and don’t play shows but put out music

coleslawed likes this.
  7. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Serenity Now, Lucas27, Mary V and 4 others like this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Guess this means I have to go to the Thrice show (which, I haven't seen Thrice post-hiatus, but I also don't love Vheissu, but guess this settles it). I'm really hoping they hit up Pittsburgh for a farewell headline tour, though, in spite of doing Pittsburgh w/ Thrice. Which, they love playing there, so it's definite not unlikely.

Anyways, sucks hard, but like, their last two albums are probably their two best (though Foxes will always be my personal fav), & untitled is a perfect album thematically to go out on, so yeah. Feels appropriate.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Imagine what the final Philly show is gonna be like

10. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

I remember actually being surprised when It's All Crazy was announced. I dont really know why, but I guess they were just such a mysterious and unreal band at that point that I expected them to fade away and that we'd never hear from them again. (So many other of the great Tooth and Nail bands were dissolving or throwing in the towel around the same time, too)

But then they did Ten Stories, Pale Horses, and [Untitled]. Just unreal. What an amazing career. Their last two are probably my favorites after Brother Sister.

I feel like I've always been preparing myself for this moment, but it's still such a bummer.

coleslawed and Mary V like this.
  11. Lucas27

Trusted

I’m just gonna say it, because we know we’re all thinking it as unlikely as it might be, but one last album perhaps?

12. jols

Trusted Prestigious

I immediately thought of this as well. Ten years ago, there were rumors everywhere that they wouldn’t be together much longer. So many of their peers dissolved, more as time passed, but that was TEN years ago??

Their longevity is one of their most impressive feats. Lots of humble tours, small headliners, many more as supporting acts. Never really any sharp jumps or drop offs in popularity. Just a steady assembly of one of the most devoted fan bases.

coleslawed, wood&wire and Mary V like this.
  13. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Just procured tickets to the Thrice tour. This news leveled me yesterday. Even though we all knew it was obviously coming at some point, it doesn't make it hurt any less. These guys have been a huge part of my life since first seeing them at Purple Door in like 2005

14. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Yeah, for a while I thought they would break up after It's All Crazy and become one of those cult bands that breaks up after only a few albums. Glad we got more music after that, and some of their best music at that.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

coleslawed likes this.
  16. Tim

Looking at my tastes over the past, like, 14 years, I don't think there's been any other active band to consistently sit in my, like, top 5 or so. Outside of the it's all crazy! era, I can't think of a time from getting into them in '05 through now that I wasn't completely in love w/ both their music & their live show.

So many fond memories tied into the band. Seeing part of their set in the summer of '05 at the Purple Door music festival (which we almost missed, which my not-yet-fan brother teased my friends about using an obvious "[name] w/out mewithoutYou" joke). Buying Foxes that fall & being so incredibly into the music, the lyrics, the CD's aesthetic, everything. Their incredibly Purple Door set the next summer. Talking to Aaron Weiss during Brand New's set at that BN/Thrice/mwY tour (I wasn't a BN fan yet; in retrospect, guess that was the right choice? *sigh*) & getting a cookie from him. Debating it's all crazy!'s merits w/ my 2009 friend group. Foxes tour, A->B tour. Listening to the newly released Pale Horses on repeat while drinking lots of coffee & Mountain Dew on an academic all nighter.

If Foxes had been their only album, it would've been enough. But, I'm so incredibly thankful to have been blessed by Pale Horses & untitled, two impressive next level albums for an already next level band.

17. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

MrAirplane likes this.
  19. stoked on Brother, Sister tour and a hopeful Catch For Us The Foxes vinyl reissue. I am very sad but I get it. In a lot of ways, [Untitled] reminded me of their No Devolución and it's a beautiful way to cap off an incredible career.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  20. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I am choked up

21. Tim

This is such a mwY/Aaron Weiss statement, lol:

SpyKi, AndrewSoup, coleslawed and 9 others like this.
  22. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I’ll be at all 3 tours, ha

23. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

definitely catching them twice next year. what a legacy they've left

jordalsh and estebanwaseaten like this.
  24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Yeah I’ll be doing all three tours for sure

25. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

bought my ticket for their tour with Thrice in January. Catch me crying in the pit while January 1979 plays

It really hit me this morning while i was driving to work listening to [Untitled].

I remember back sometime right after catch for use the foxes came out, I was in middle school and staying with my aunt and uncle for a week. My uncle had me help him with some house cleaning and moving things around and then took me to a christian book store down the road and let me pick out a CD as a thank you. I remember looking through the bins and then over on the new releases rack and i saw CFUTF because it stuck out so much compared to a lot of album art back then. I picked it and we went home and I put it in my blue sony walkman that I had taken a sharpie to and had some embarassing christian rock lyrics scrawled on it. I pressed play and that was it. I remember being floored and Torches Together changed everything I knew about music, which was very very limited as a little middle school youth group kid.

I also remember being home one summer in 2006 and watching the live stream of Cornerstone festival so I could see mewithoutYous headlining set. On a rural missouri DSL connection it was pixelated as hell, but I remember when they played in a sweater poorly knit to close out their set and how they blew me away again. That song was in my head all summer.

When Brother, Sister came out, my dad was working nights at the Ford plant in Kansas City. He went to walmart on his way home apparently and woke me up and threw the cd on my bed. I listened to it on repeat until I had to get up for school, and then I listened to it all day at school, and all night when i got home. On repeat over and over and over again.

These are some of my earliest memories of the band, I've got a few concert memories, from meeting greg and aaron outside the Columbia, MO venue and sharing crackers, to going to the pre-show potluck in Lawrence, KS and Aaron teaching us sacred harp hymns, baking an All Circles themed cake with my ex and giving it to the band after the show and getting a picture with all of them while Ricky wore a trashcan on his head, giving them my old GPS after they posted on twitter about needing on after theirs wouldn't turn on, it was one of the first shows after Pale Horses came out and they let me get some free merch because of it. that show was so hot aaron had to do part of the set outside the emergency exit door to cool off.

they've given us so much and i'm going to really really miss this band.