Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

mewithoutYou - [untitled] e.p. & [Untitled] LP (2018) Album • Page 169

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Lucas w/ the Lack of Mercy

Lucas27 likes this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

“Who’s the devil this time?”

It me.

neo506, coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Funny. This is exactly how I feel about ABMTTS.

MrAirplane likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I wondered that! I wonder if there was a filter that grouped both together? Because they are stylised with the square brackets so it may have confused the data entry system. Or maybe the world prefers the EP? We’ll never know!

5. Serenity Now

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Was this the one where you could select five? If so, I put both I think.

7. Serenity Now

I wrote in for Car Seat Headrest too and they made it to #20. Neat.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  8. Serenity Now

Yes, to my knowledge.

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i feel like a lot of people here prefer the EP over the LP. that being said i am not one of them.

Serenity Now likes this.
  10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Wow i voted for the EP in that poll, i like to think im the one who pushed it so high
    because i like it more!

Lucas27 and coleslawed like this.
  11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

It’s climbed up my EOTY a lot but I do think it suffers a bit from being less weird than I expected, ironically enough. People disagreed with me when I said that first but it’s easily the most accessible mwY to my ears and thus it didn’t get that boost that comes with overcoming a “challenge” from a record like, say, Nearer My God presented.

Lucas27 likes this.
  12. Lucas27

Trusted

That’s interesting to me. A buddy of mine doesn’t listen to mwY a ton and said he thought [Untitled] was a lot more accessible than their past stuff. Meanwhile, I listen to mwY a ton to the point where none of their stuff sounds weird to me, but [Untitled] really threw me for a loop. It was a very challenging listen at first. I immediately liked it, but it took a few focused listens to fall in love.

disambigujason likes this.
  13. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

I really like the album. Everyday I hope to find it in my mailbox. I ordered it from the first day, but still without succes. I've contacted them at the end of october and they said it would be shipped in november. But like most of you the shipping information hasn't changed. Since I live in Belgium, I probably should have waited untill the Uk-version was released. I've heard of people that already have it for more than a month.

14. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

The songs on this record feel a lot more compact and homogenous to me, the songs generally don’t twist and turn as much. Speaking strictly structurally of course. I agree with teebs that it’s got some of their best work, but the best work on this album is good for a different reason than the best work on PH, for example, which i saw as more a refinement of a previous sound than an actual change.

Lucas27 likes this.
  15. Lucas27

Trusted

Yeah, that all makes a lot of sense. I think the biggest thing that threw me off was them more or less revamping their sound for the first time instead of just progressing from the previous album (it is a natural progression from PH, it’s just more drastic than usual). Structurally, it’s pretty immediate though. Julia and Winter Solstice might be the two most accessible songs they’ve ever put out.

disambigujason likes this.
  16. Lucas27

Trusted

That said, I still feel like Ten Stories is the most accessible mwY album by a fair margin. If I was trying to ease someone into the band’s sound, I’d probably start them there.

Serenity Now likes this.
  17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Always find this a fascinating discussion because my view of [Untitled] is so different:

- I think it's a natural progression from Pale Horses (not a revamp of sound)
    - I don't think it's their most accessible

If we're ignoring it's all crazy (which is the most accessible for people who don't tend to listen to more aggressive music), I'd argue that Brother, Sister is the most accessible. I understand the argument for Ten Stories but feel as though the lyrics are dense. I also think the instrumentation for Brother, Sister is more accessible on the whole.

I guess it all comes to how we define accessible and that's always going to be subjective with our varying tastes.

SpyKi, Lucas27 and MrAirplane like this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think pale horses would be the first one I would recommend to a new fan

19. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I'm a new fan and would recommend this album, haha.

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I would recommend different albums to different people, they are all so different.

Lucas27 likes this.
  21. Lucas27

Trusted

That’s why this is one of the best bands ever.

awakeohsleeper and neo506 like this.
  22. Serenity Now

I have done this very thing with a pretty high success rate. It’s the album that got ME into them.

Lucas27 likes this.
  23. Lucas27

Trusted

Only thing I’d say is the lyrics on Ten Stories are some of his most abstract, but I also think the animal-centric story is probably less jarring than some of his deeply personal stuff. It’s just more melodic and straightforward as a whole though.

I get saying It’s All Crazy! is the most accessible since it’s more folky, but I think it’s their weirdest album. I actually laughed when I first heard some of those songs before I was a fan. Brother, Sister was much more palatable for me.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't recommend this band to anyone because I want to keep them to myself.

25. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I feel like Aaron’s voice on IAC would be grating for a lot of folks. I love it, but i was fully on board by the time it came out.