Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mew - Visuals (April 28th, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I think tracks 7-11 are top-tier Mew.

2. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Candy/Better Place/AyAyAy is a glorious stretch.

Gooddayz and sophos34 like this.
  3. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Could listen to Jonas crops "the weather is better" on loop for years

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Purity Ring remix!

whitenblue88 likes this.
  5. Gooddayz

always and forever

Gave Mew a discography run again this past week and boy do I love this band! If I had to rank

No More Stories > Kites > Frengers > Visuals > A Triumph for Man > +-

I'm so glad with the outcome to Visuals. The melodies are stellar like in Ay Ay Ay and though I miss Bo they pulled it off. The turn around after +- was surprising too. Normally they take at least three years till another release, but hey I'm not complaining. Excited to see what they do next and maybe by then Bo will be back with the band.. one can hope.

Also Silas is an underrated drummer! Love his style

Your Milkshake likes this.
  6. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Their run from Frengers to + - was one of the most consistently impressive discographies I can think of. Silas is amazing.

I do think Bo's departure was a big blow, though. I say that not only based on the outcome of Visuals, but also listening to some of the solo work he's posted since. He was probably a bigger part of their songwriting than I had assumed before he left.

1. No More Stories 9.5/10
    2. Kites 9.5/10
    3. + - 8.5/10
    4. Frengers 8/10
    5. Visuals 6.5/10

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Kites especially was cool. Great band.

8. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh wow I didn't realize Bo was doing solo stuff. I guess that makes sense. Any song you know of?

9. irthesteve

"Nothingness and No Regrets" might be my biggest overlooked track of the year, just heard it again the other day and it was like I had never heard it before! Really great song

10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

This made my top 20

11. Gooddayz

always and forever

12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I’ve finally been spending more time with this band, moving slowly through their discography and giving each album plenty of listens. I’m really blown away. So far Frengers may become one of my favorite albums of all time.

Gooddayz and christsizedshoes like this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It's definitely up there for me. Love it so damn much. Can't wait to see it live.

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. Gooddayz

always and forever

Comforting Sounds gotta be one of the best closers

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

and the glass handed kites is one of the best albums ive ever heard. fox club - apocalypso - special - zookeepers boy is an absolutely astounding run of songs

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. Gooddayz

always and forever

How all those songs are woven into each other is just astonishing.

beachdude42 likes this.
  17. Horrorca

Trusted

for sure - makes everything even more powerful

some of their time signatures are crazy and the way they manage to pull of the transitions is unreal

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This exact run of songs floored me this morning. So glad I’m finally getting into them.

19. SoundscapeMN

Regular

I love this band, seen them live 4 times, etc. I agree with some though that the absence of Bo seems pretty apparent with how Visuals came out.

I kind of wonder if their next record will make or break how I feel about them and their future, per I just don't have a strong desire to listen to Visuals over the previous 4 records. Even + / - to me seems to have more to it.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  20. christsizedshoes

Trusted

It was a significant dropoff. Their whole discography up to and including + - was as flawless as any I can think of. Visuals was quite flawed, even if enjoyable. I won't have particularly high hopes for any new music going forward (unless Bo miraculously reconciles and rejoins), but I'll for sure give it a chance.

21. SoundscapeMN

Regular

bump.

They just released yesterday

Mew - With Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra

Comforting Sounds

sophos34 likes this.
  22. irthesteve

It's quite good!

23. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I keep forgetting to check that out

24. IMG_20181219_145824.jpg
    Look what I found on eBay recently - an early version of what would become And the Glass Handed Kites. Turned up this morning, it may or may not include unreleased music from those sessions.

25. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I always listen to Mew this time of year for some reason, that album and Frengers especially

Gooddayz likes this.