Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MetalSucks Explains Why They Won’t Support This As I Lay Dying Reunion • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

genuinely can't believe this is the band for which folks are willing to die on the "it's alright he tried to have his wife murdered" hill

Wharf Rat and Joe4th like this.
  2. heartsdietoo Jun 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2018)
    heartsdietoo

I completely agree with their stance on this and don’t think they should be promoted. However, MetalSucks seems to have some pretty glaring double standards with whom they blacklist. Briefly reading their (mostly horrendous) comment section many were accusing them of avidly supporting people as bad or worse than Lambesis. The main one that I noticed was Varg Vikernes.

I had no idea who he even was until a little research but he’s apparently an old school black metal ‘god’ in that scene and was convicted of a particularly violent premeditated murder, burning down churches and holds horrific racial views as well.

Once again, I am in no way defending Lambesis but I feel as though they’re taking a faux moral high ground and he’s an easy target due to a lot of their readers being more interested in ‘real’ death metal whom seem for the most part to shun the metal core scene.

I may be wrong here but I personally think it would be better if music publications would all just not give mention to their reunion in any way as to not draw any attenttion to it at all and pray they fade into obscurity.

Also, as soon as I noticed their single was released I kept refreshing this page hoping that if anything was mentioned it would be a condemnation of his disgusting behavior. Jason didn’t disappoint. Thank you for having standards chorus.fm. Sorry for the long post.

supernovagirl and theagentcoma like this.
  3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

From the article that the thread you're posting on right now is based on:

"But here’s the thing: the fact that Lambesis isn’t in jail right now? That IS his second chance. He’s a free man! He may be getting or has already gotten remarried! Our penal system has federal, state, and local assistance and reentry programs to help him find work and reintegrate into society (a privilege not bestowed upon those locked up for years but ultimately found innocent, by the way)."

supernovagirl likes this.
  4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It's odd that people struggle with the concept that there's something between 'never forgive someone and throw people away' and 'provide a charismatic person who's proven to have violent, homicidal tendencies with a platform, influence, and audience full of people who will idolize him and put him in a position where he can hurt someone else.'

5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

He can be forgiven by those effected and continue with his life, but why should he be allowed to be able to continue his position in music? He shouldn’t. You wouldn’t be allowed back at your job more than likely if you were arrested, spent time in prison, and had a felony charge.

6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Not to defend AILD or Tim but that’s a pretty damn hollow statement if they’re going to keep writing about Varg Vikernes, Phil Anselmo, and other similar assholes while saying AILD is where they draw the line.

swboyd, Raku and theagentcoma like this.
  7. Look at all the people with pitchforks out for the guy that **checks notes** was convicted of trying to have his wife murdered

8. Malatesta

i havent checked MS in a long time, have they actually been keeping up with posting such other scumbags as Vikernes, Anselmo, etc?

9. DarkHotline

Yes, they posted an article on Varg back in March and has covered Phil’s bands even after the Nazi salute incident.

10. Malatesta

gross, hope they can be more consistent

heartsdietoo and Raku like this.
  11. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

Woof the comments on the MS post are toxic as hell.

12. DarkHotline

Like don’t get me wrong, it’s their site and they can do what they want. I also don’t really plan on supporting the band any time in the future either. It’s just that a statement like doesn’t really hold water to me if that’s the line you’re gonna draw in the sand when there are equally bad or worse artists that you will continue to cover on your site, it just feel disingenuous.

swboyd and Raku like this.
  13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I’m assuming they’re going hyper Christian on this and playing the forgiveness angle. All the things they said when he was away....you just don’t return from that.

14. I wanna preface this by saying I don't know the MS guys at all, and I don't even know these artists beside a little Googling I just did, I do however think I have a little perspective that may be helpful from running a site:

1. Maybe this is just the first step toward them seeing what a content policy like this should or could look like and this is the first step toward opening that door. Many websites don't have one or care at all, so even this little step to me I think's a move in the right direction if it gets people thinking about this and talking about it and wanting to do better from a content side of what gets promoted and put out there. (Or maybe it's a ploy for clicks, this is just me trying not to be cynical.) I know when I have done things like this in the past when people come back at me with "well what about X, Y or the lyrics to Z" it makes me wanna give up and throw my hands up and not even try. Something to keep in mind, again, as someone that has no idea who the authors of this website are beside seeing some bylines.

2. This is also why I just stopped answering questions or putting it out there when/what I post about because it becomes a huge debate over what gets covered, what doesn't, what bands and lyrics are over the top but which ones aren't, and very rarely is that ever done in actual good faith. (Not saying that's what you're doing at all, just saying what has happened in the past here.) So, that's why my policy is basically to just say, it's my website and I cover what I think should be covered at any given time and I make mistakes quite a bit and don't even realize it. Trying to stay up to date on everything is really hard, and nothing's gonna be perfect for everyone. Again, just my perspective from running a blog for a few years and seeing these same kinda questions. I could be wrong and they don't care at all and this is the only line they're drawing, which, again, their site and their line I guess. But, yeah.

15. DarkHotline

That is completely valid and fair, as well as being an insight I didn’t really considered prior. It honestly just bugged me in a way but in the end however, I’m still going to read their site and Tim is still an asshole so there’s that.

16. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Remember guys, Tim rediscovered Jesus while in prison, so this will be spun as a redemption story

swboyd, SuNDaYSTaR and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

If the original members returned that is incredibly fucked. This reunion didn’t need to happen and I wish nobody would give them the time of day but people suck

heartsdietoo likes this.
  18. Tylar

I am surprised this whole thing is allowed to happen, let alone how anyone would support this.

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He stated that the band faked their last few years as a practicing Christian band but the members got mad at him for saying it so I don’t know if they’ll want to go that angle. I know he stopped being religious a year before he was arrested. Maybe prison brought him back to it. IDK but I feel like they are going to be secular.

20. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

The Devil sure has a lot of advocates these days.

21. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I'm honestly shocked the other band members would even consider it

22. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

who wouldn't destroy their morals for a big, fat, tasty paycheck?!?!?!

Raku and swboyd like this.
  23. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Lol and also (sigh). Fucking people man. Get a new fucking vocalist! Tim is easily replaceable. Like wtf.

24. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

This. Why, why, why do I ever read comments sections? Sure, maybe they should be more consistent about who they choose to cover, but that doesn't make their point about AILD any less valid. All of the commentors there dismissing the article because of hypocrisy are just showing they don't care about the morals to begin with, because a stance against some is better than against none.

25. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Well they did, and called it Wovenwar. I don't mean that as a defense of them at all, I can't believe they went back to the scumbag, just saying that they had already taken that approach.