Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (November 18, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kyle, Aug 18, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Ah, cool. I appreciate it, man.

2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I used to LOVE Metallica so much, but I honestly probably haven't consciously listened to a song by them in at least a year or more. Decided to check out the two pre-release tracks and they're making me nostalgic as hell. Actually excited for this.

3. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

2/2 for me on the new songs!

4. Bane

The spiciest meme

I like this one more than Hardwired, hope they keep that momentum going

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Loving how lean and mean these two are. Hoping for a little more sprawl on the album tracks, but pretty pumped for this album.

6. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

I need this album now. All 3 songs released so far have been great.

beachdude42, Davjs and KidLightning like this.
  7. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I've enjoyed them as well, this is exactly the kind of hard rock/metal I expect from dudes this age. I just wish the production was better, the bass is all but inaudible and the drums are just lifeless.

8. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Drip drip. Interested to hear what fans think of this... planning to listen later.

KidLightning likes this.
  9. Lars is gonna be so pissed.

truelovewaits likes this.
  10. JM95

Trusted

Well, I mean, it's too long and the first half is way better than the second but on first listen, I think it's ok.

11. ibanez966

I felt the opposite; the second half got me going more. I think the closer is the best track on the album.

12. JM95

Trusted

I'll give you the closer, it's great. The rest of the second half... not so much.

ibanez966 likes this.
  13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

What a bore this album is. Not a fan of the kick drum sound, not much variation in guitar tones, and a lot of the tracks lack any creativity/anything interesting. Riffs just feel so bland. IMO, the only real good tracks are essentially the first two singles, Hardwired and Moth Into Flames, and of course the final track, Spit Out The Bone (man that track rips)

If only Kirk hadn't lost his iPhone with his hundreds of guitar riff ideas....

14. Bane

The spiciest meme

Just about finished with the album and I think it's pretty darn solid. I do feel like specific moments stick out more than full songs, but there's a lot of those specific moments. Also on first listen I think Disc 1 sticks out more but that's not knocking Disc 2.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Shit. Won't be able to listen until tomorrow.

16. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Just got to ManUNkind and I'm actually quite enjoying this. The production leaves a lot to be desired, especially the rhythm section (the snare sounds like a flat tire), but I was able to make it sound halfway decent through my setup.

It's by no means a great Metallica album, but it's hitting the spot. I can see this being my go to housecleaning / yardwork album for a bit.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I was the BIGGEST Metallica fan for over 15 years, but as I've gotten older and they've released less and less great stuff, I've gotten kinda stale on them.

That being said, I was of course excited for this album.

After my first listen, I'm a little underwhelmed. It's not bad, and Spit Out The Bone is actually really good, but the the other 3 singles are probably the best songs on the album. The rest is kind of middle of the road. I think this might actually be their worst record, but I'll have to give it more time before I can really make that statement.

Also, what was their reasoning for releasing this as 2 discs? The combined run time is less than 80 minutes.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

19. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

What a bummer. I can't imagine losing all of that work and progress. I still haven't listened to the new album. I'm keeping my hopes up that I'll enjoy it.

Davjs likes this.
  20. Davjs Nov 15, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 15, 2016)
    Davjs

Trusted

Agreed, at least it said that he stuck to his solos, which are always amazing. I've avoided the leak and will find my way to the one small isle in Best Buy Friday to snag a copy. Excited.

inwaves likes this.
  21. Bane

The spiciest meme

It sucks because I'm sure he had some fantastic ideas and he's bummed about it but I still think it's a good album regardless

Davjs likes this.
  22. Interesting interview to give prior to the release.

23. LTF

Great record. Their last two albums felt too copy and paste and forced for me. These are some well-structured, grooving songs. Can't get over how well Hetfield sounds too. Digging this.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It's starting to grow on me a little more, but I still think Death Magnetic is the better record.

25. lolzeyes

If you're a fan of Load/Reload era, you will like this one. It's a bit darker and heavier. I'm definitely digging almost the whole album (with exception of ManUnkind & Murder One). Highlights for me are: Dream No More, Halo On Fire, Spit Out The Bone, Confusion, Here Comes Revenge and Am I Savage. So there are def. better songs on the album than the picked singles. And the album gets better with every listen. I feel this is a much much better effort since their previous two albums. The vocals, the guitars, the production, the overall song-writing (structuring) is solid flows well. Even Lars' drumming is really good. The only downside i can see is perhaps some may find the album too long (almost 80 mins). But with every listen you find new elements and moments that you'll like.

4/5

Davjs likes this.