Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mest Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by BlackwingE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. BlackwingE

Trusted

I've been listening to these guys since forever, and I think they deserve a thread.

Tony hasn't released music with the original members since 2005, but they still play shows together every now and then. Their 2013 album Not What You Expected is actually pretty good, and I'm hoping for new music soon, whether or not it is with the original members (but how cool wouldn't that be).

Discussion officially opened!

2. CAC3

Dog

Mest was one of my favorite bands when I was a kid getting into this music scene. 'Wasting Time' and 'Destination Unknown' are pop-punk classics in my eyes, Self-Titled was good, then everything after that was disappointing to me.

BlackwingE likes this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

didn't this guy murder someone or something

4. BlackwingE

Trusted

His girlfriend's ex-boyfriend came at him with a knife or something, and he ended up killing the guy in self defense. Tragic and true story.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

really mest up

...sorry that was insensitive

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Came in for the murder comments, did not leave disappointed.

cwhit likes this.
  7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Haven't listened to, or thought of, this band in ages.

BlackwingE likes this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I remember jamming "Jaded" shortly after high school grad

Mest make the kind of music you outgrow

BlackwingE likes this.
  9. BlackwingE

Trusted

You should try listening to some of the songs from Not What You Expected. The songs Almost, Radio (Something to Believe) and M.D.M.A. are really good.

I guess, in a way, you could say that about any pop punk band. Many of their songs just make me feel really nostalgic and stuff (the first 2-3 albums), but there are some great songs I listen to quite often.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  10. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Fuct up

irthesteve and BlackwingE like this.
  11. BlackwingE

Trusted

The song M.D.M.A. from their last album is so good. I personally think this is one of the best songs Tony has ever written.

12. BlackwingE

Trusted

The band just launched the Kickstarter campaign for the new record (with the original members)!

MEST NEW RECORD

13. Fox83

Trusted

14. Not too shabby!

Fox83 and BlackwingE like this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

Fox83 likes this.
  16. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I like it!

BlackwingE likes this.
  17. Fox83

Trusted

New album drops tomorrow! Just an FYI, as it's not on the Chorus.fm release calendar.

18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Wow I had no idea. Original lineup?

19. solxace

oh word?

irthesteve likes this.
  20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Will certainly check it out

solxace likes this.
  21. BlackwingE

Trusted

My thoughts after hearing the entire album for the first time: not bad, not great.

I think Jeremiah should've had 3 or 4 songs on the record, because of all the hype about the originals coming back. I like that he sings in the title track though, shared vocals are always cool (although I didn't realize it was Jer in the second verse during my first few listens).

And what is up with These Streets? For those who don't know, it's actually a song by Tony's band Kisses for Kings, and it was released 10 years ago. It's a good song, but they really butchered it with this remix-sounding version.

Masquerade and The Upside Down are definitely the two best songs on here. Gotta say that the title track is one of the best songs they've ever released.

I like this album, but it was a little disappointing. Their last album, Not What You Expected was unexpectedly good IMO (no pun intended). I guess I'll just have to see if this one grows on me more over time.

Fox83 likes this.
  22. Heron182

Regular

Album is ok really wish it had more Jeremiah on it

BlackwingE likes this.
  23. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Numbers gives me strong Alkaline Trio vibes.

These Streets is weird - reminds me if you crossed Butthole Surfers “Pepper” and then Offsprings “The Kids Aren’t Alright” for the chorus.

BlackwingE likes this.
  24. BlackwingE

Trusted

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Don't get me wrong, I think Tony is the best overall singer and songwriter, but I love me some "dark, creepy" Jeremiah songs!

25. Fox83

Trusted

The Silence Left Behind is a classic Mest tune, and nothing will change my mind on the matter. The layered guitars, the clean riffs in the first half, the crunchy boost in the second half, the catchy nursery-rhyme melodies, the harmonies. Yes.

BlackwingE likes this.