Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I've been avoiding meds for that reason, and because I've found I also have no creative drive when I'm on the meds. It makes creating a near impossible task for me. But creating is the one thing I really enjoy, so I'm losing no matter what kind of. Sorry about the honeymoon, hope it went well despite the panic attacks.

Texas Flood and Aaron Mook like this.
  2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I have gotten a 90 day supply since through insurance, but have been apprehensive on starting up again after going through the withdrawals already. But if the ER thing is true, that could be very helpful in the future. Thank you. :)

3. Loss of creativity and sex drive and concerns over substance abuse are a few of the more prominent reasons I'm worried about getting medicated.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

i'm waiting for her text back to be sure about that. i know that my exBIL got a prescription to cover a short from his pharmacy, but that was also like 6 years ago.

edit: she thinks it's basically for short term things, like my example. to bridge a gap.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The sex drive was also a major issue for me, and I lost it entirely for 2 and a half months after getting off the meds. I was on Zoloft though, which luckily isn't a drug that does anything when abused.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Being on meds and suddenly realizing you can't cry anymore. :thumbdown: I remember trying to and I just couldn't. Sometimes I still feel like I may need them but idk, I think I might be better off without them.

7. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I think it depends on what you take. I've been on citalopram and bupropion for 5.5 years and not once had an issue with the first two things you mention. nor the third one, for those drugs. i was on klonopin for about a year when i first got on my meds, for my anxiety, but that was a big no no for me once i got leveled out. benzos i worry about.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. ImTheOwens

I think this is a really great idea. I'm about to graduate in May with my Master's in Mental Health Counseling so this thread definitely piqued my interest.

AelNire likes this.
  9. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I've fought so hard to get to where I am now that loss of sex drive doesn't bother me. I'm also single but I think even in a relationship I just want to be stable mentally.

10. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

^^that should really be what we all strive for

AelNire and Jacob like this.
  11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I wouldn't have cared about that if I was single at the time I was on them. There was just no interest and it caused problems. Literally got in an argument over it with the gf at the time. Now it'd just be one less distraction from working on myself so I'd almost welcome it.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

What were you on? Apologies if you have already mentioned that.

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

At that exact time I'm not entirely sure. I know I was on wellbutrin before I quit, an anti-psychotic that I always forget the name of (it was supposed to keep me from "boiling over" from the wellbutrin), and another one I was supposed to take before bed. I wanna say it started with a z but I'm drawing a blank right now for some reason.

14. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Zyprexa?

15. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

That may have been it. Was just scrolling through a list of common antidepressants to see if any rang a bell. Paxil was one of the ones that I couldn't think of. Should have remembered too cuz I think paxil was the one that sucked the hardest. caused a bunch of problems.

16. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

hmm. zoloft? i also have a prescription for trazodone for sleeping, when i can't. and it works, let me tell you. makes me groggy well after i'm awake the next day. bleh.

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

That was it! I was picking up the z in the middle haha. Ya that would put me out. One night I took it after not having taken it in a while and I actually wasn't able to fall asleep, so I just felt terrible. Could barely move my body.

18. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Zoloft exacerbated my symptoms. It was scary.

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I quit after I had this really weird experience. Was sitting at my desk and suddenly my thoughts just started racing randomly with voices in different accents saying completely random shit -- hard to explain but it was nothing like I'd experienced before and was totally abnormal, like my thoughts almost seemed to take on a mind of their own and seemed almost audible. It would have been scary except that I felt completely high, like a really intense euphoria. After that I had vertigo though and I noped out of that shit.

20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

anecdotal but i know one person who hated zoloft and one person who has been okay on it. you are now anecdote 3, in the dislike column.

edit: 3 hate 1 okay

21. algae

Regular Prestigious

Can anyone help me with the protocol for "getting help," I'm not sure if I should just call should some psychiatrists that accept my insurance or go to my primary care physician then ask for a referral. Or whatever other option there is

22. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I had a referral and you'll get an appointment faster if you go through your general practitioner. You can set up an appointment without a referral but from what some of my friends have told me, you have to wait months to be seen.

23. Yeah, this is pretty much it. I would never mean to imply that it's more important than being stable, but it is something to keep in mind when you're in a long-term (four years) relationship, even though I know she understands.

And yeah, it's benzos I worry about. Substance abuse runs in my family and I know I'm susceptible. My brother is taking anti-depression and anti-anxiety meds now and I worry about the way he talks about taking them sometimes.

24. Kiana Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

My ex called me at 4 am. I was sleeping and didn't know what time it was so I just answered cause I thought it was a coworker telling me they're sick and I need to cover for them. I feel like there's a knot in my chest and all gross and anxiety. We broke up 4 years ago. Idk why he even has my number still. I usually block his but I got a new phone and forgot. I couldn't even speak or take the sound of his voice. I just panicked and hung up. Now I'm like freaking out and can't sleep and I have to be up in 2 hours. And he just tried calling again. I don't know why he can't leave me alone. It's like what he did wasnt awful enough so he has to drag it out and keep it going forever. He usually tries calling a few times a year but my phone never let it it go through so it didn't impact me at all. Now he's trying to call from a restricted number. Like obviously I don't wanna talk to you, dude.

25. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

I tried medication. I just couldnt deal with not being able to function in an everyday type of way. It made me numb.