Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

As someone with ASD it did wonders for me. Hope it does for you too, best of luck.

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Vyvanse or Adderall if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking both will work for me but I'm just trying to find a dosage that doesn't ruin my sleep.

3. Fucking Dustin

I haven't tried vyvanse but did try adderall and it was a good balance for me

beachdude42 likes this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Awesome, thanks. I'm doing a small dosage of Adderall tomorrow morning, so hopefully that works.

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'll try to make this short. My mom had a meeting with her siblings because it turns out that the aunt who didn't show up squandered all of my grandma's money and didn't pay my other aunt back the money she owed her. This aunt that squandered the money is in mine and my parents wills.

My sister and I are 1st in line for their life insurance stuff but until I turn the 30, squandering aunt would be in charge of dispersing money every 6 months til I hit 30. For mine, my parents are 1st my sister is 2nd and if my parents die too the aunt will disperse my life insurance stuff every 6 months until my sister turns 30. We are going to change them this coming week and take her out.

I'm upset because while we discussing their will she said she didn't want me to be in charge of the money because I'm bipolar and i wouldn't be able to handle the stress. I just got up and walked out. Now, she feels bad and said she didn't mean to offend me that she knows my sister and I can handle anything together.

It just really hurts my feelings for her to use being bipolar against me. Tell me you don't trust me or I'm not responsible enough but don't use my mental health as an excuse. I'm fucking pissed.

6. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

Almost a year ago, I had a terrible, terrible month and sought therapy because i literally couldn't handle all the noise, self doubt and self deprecation in my head all day. I've been going quite regularly and I can't begin to say how nice it is to go to someone on a regular basis and just talk about what I'm feeling without judgement. I've been dealing with depression for so long now and after much reluctance I can say that I feel a lot better but I also approach problems differently than I have before. It's definitely a work in progress but it's nice to look back and see how far I've come and celebrate those victories.

For anyone that is playing with the idea of finding a therapist, I'd at the very least recommend it for a little while. You never know, it could be what works for you.

7. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

I just wanted to say how great it is that this thread exists and that it feels incredibly comforting to know there's a place where everyone can feel safe enough to open up in here and offer support, advice or just an ear.

I want to do just that for anyone too. I'm in a bit of a rough place right now in terms of my anxiety and depression and my tendency to cope with it is to become incredibly insular and shut off from pretty much everything and everyone - so whilst I'm not "there" yet in terms of opening up fully as such, I'm trying to alter that process and unlearn my coping mechanisms following years of trying prescribed medication, CBT, therapy, self-medicating etc. and challenge my brain to try to cope in different and better ways. But my point for now is, I'm always here to lend an ear if needs be. Despite being in the UK, the one thing my anxieties can allow is a near sure enough probability that I'm awake when you lot on the other side of the pond are too, haha.

Cheers to you all. xo

8. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

Mom's can suck a life sometimes. My mother says shit that hurts me sometimes because she doesn't think before she speaks (wonder where I get it from). You have every right to be pissed. I would be too.

AelNire likes this.
  9. muttley Mar 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2016)
    muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Yeah, making a comment like that is uncalled for. Not to absolve her of her actions, but doesn't she realize how detrimental that can be?

I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't informed on the matter.

I was invited to go somewhere with a family member and their boyfriend a while back and wasn't really interested. I said I was going to stay home and that doing so "is cheaper, anyways." He said something like, "yeah, let's just stay home and die because it's cheaper."
    That was the last thing I wanted to hear with all of the stuff going on in my head at the time. I don't hold that against him though, because there's no way he knew what I was thinking. That seems like a better example of what I'm trying to say.

AelNire likes this.
  10. I'm at that point where my social anxiety is keeping me from seeing a doctor or talking to almost anyone about my general anxiety and depression, and I'm having a really difficult time rectifying those two things. The household I was raised in made me feel shameful for having these thoughts and feelings (not maliciously, my parents simply don't understand). My brother was in that place recently too and he's been recommending I see the doctor about getting medicated (he's on Xanax and Lexipro), but I'm afraid I might have self-control issues with abusing the medication.

I just don't know what to do right now. I guess I've really been in a position like there where I have the ability to actually do something about my issues, and the idea of doing anything but avoiding them almost freaks me out, if that makes sense. I've tried counseling, but having to make the time for it just leads me to being more stressed out. It ends up feeling like just another thing I have to do rather than anything...cathartic.

Sorry for the long post. Just dealing with a lot of emotions at this point in time and I trust and am thankful for everyone in this thread. Having a place like this to ask for advice and not feel so alone is amazing.

11. This is late, but reading this hit me like a ton of bricks and I really identify with what you're feeling and thinking (see my above post). The toughest part right now is being their for my fiance, someone who also has issues with anxiety and depression. Today, she told me she was having suicidal thoughts in a really nonchalant manner then sent me spinning all day until we had more time to talk it through. I just feel like I constantly have to be strong for her, and then I feel guilty or selfish for wishing I could let my guard down every now and again. I've been breaking down regularly on Sunday nights under the stress of what Monday will bring and how I'm going to make it through the week.

Sorry again for the long double post and melodramatics. The point is, we've never talked a ton, but you're obviously not alone and I'm also here anytime you need someone to talk too. Let's shoot the shit about comedy soon, yeah? :heart:

12. Fucking Dustin

That feeling is the worst. :( I'm always here for you as well man.

And I hope you know I was dead serious about doing a podcast where we tell jokes about music and review terrible albums every time.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

venlafaxine withdrawal is pretty goddamn awful. i miss a day and it all goes to shit, haha.

14. Threads

Regular Prestigious

Going to spoiler tag the rest of this part of my post in case anyone doesn't want to read/see the contents (death/illness mentions). I've had this odd reoccurring fear/anxiety about having a terminal illness and dying. I don't really know how to explain it without sounding obnoxious but it's like just kind of always been there but sometimes it stands out a lot more. I was talking to my mom and aunt about how most of our deceased family members passed away of varying kinds of cancer and how that puts us in a shitty place more or less healthwise. Of course my brain had to run with that and immediately jump to "You are sick/dying." and I had the closest thing to a panic attack (and maybe it was one?) I've ever had that night, and I've been thinking about it consistently since. The concern for me isn't even so much the concept of myself being ill or dying, it was more along the lines of my mom and aunts having to deal with it. I don't know how I'd ever tell them if something did turn out to be wrong.

I've been meaning to schedule a dermatologist appointment to deal with what seems to be psoriasis-ish issues on my scalp and now I'm worried they'll find skin cancer or something. I don't have reason to really think that way because none of my moles have changed/really look irregular and I'm barely outside or in the sun as it is but I'm still worried. :-/

I've decided it's actually time for me to seriously consider seeing a therapist. It's really been long overdue as I've suffered with depression and anxiety (I say this lightly as I've never been officially diagnosed) issues as early as 13 or 14. I just never actually went through with it. The worst part really will be telling my mom as I'm on her insurance. I'm sure she's noticed in the past that I might be going through a hard time or whatever but I don't know if she noticed to what extent if that makes sense. I'm hoping maybe me posting this in a relatively public place will encourage me to get my shit together and schedule an appointment when it's financially doable.

---

Outside of my ranting, I'd just like to say that I'm glad this thread exists. It saddens me to see that so many of us on here are struggling. If anybody ever needs to rant or just talk to somebody I'm usually around, feel free to reach out.

LWS likes this.
  15. Haha, I thought about that the other day because I had forgotten about it until you posted! Let me throw some ideas together and reach out sometime soon.

dharkins likes this.
  16. Fucking Dustin

Sounds good! Can't wait!

17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

There are a few quotes that I look at whenever I'm feeling low. I thought I would share and maybe they could help in some small way.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

JulieLynn, scott, LWS and 2 others like this.
  18. Fucking Dustin

Last quote speaks to me so much haha

AelNire likes this.
  19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

muttley likes this.
  20. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

AelNire likes this.
  21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Warning: I may get long and gushy

I've been thinking back lately to my old self esteem and body image issues and it's amazing how much progress I made that I never thought was possible. idek when it happened. I just slowly started accepting myself for what I am instead of desperately wishing I was something I can't ever be. I spent like my entire life in my big sister's shadow wishing I was as stunningly beautiful as her and beating myself up that I couldn't look like her and got all the bad genes, but I'm cool with it now. I'm generally happy about myself. I used to look in the mirror and cry and look down at my feet when I walked cause I didn't want anyone to have to look at my face (which is a really hard habit to break by the way!!!). I went from that to now looking in the mirror and being like "dang, I look good today!" I think a big part of that was realizing that makeup isn't to cover up and hide under, but a legitimate means of self-expression. I love looking in the mirror and feeling like me. I still pick out flaws and I'd be lying if there wasn't still a lingering sense of wishing certain features were a bit different, but it's not like an all-consuming darkness anymore so I feel good about that.

tl;dr, basically Ashlee Simpson's "Shadow" in post form ha

dharkins, LWS, Threads and 1 other person like this.
  22. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's super weird but lately i've been noticing in lieu of anxiety leading to my depression, i've started randomly feeling nauseated and nostalgic and it's been making me feel really depressed. not sure what's at the root of that but it's new so it's extra unpleasant because i have no idea what's causing it

23. I get that too...still working my way through it.

24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Today is a long anxiety attack for me

25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I hate those days. If you need to chat, you know where to find me. I know for me, I have to lie down to get the feeling to pass. But the amount of time it takes varies every time.