Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 394

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Fuck, that sucks. Sorry to hear all that. Hang in there. We are here if you need to vent.

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Thank you Greg

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Sometimes I’ll use a sleep aid, I usually take my Citalopram at night.

kfkg likes this.
  4. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

so I mostly just skim this thread because I do like the idea of using everyones thoughts and advice to each other when I am dealing with my own mental health issues, so I appreciate the thread as a whole for good vibes.

I had one of my best friends pass away in a car accident back in November, she was basically my counter and knew EVERYTHING about each other. she was in my wedding and generally just one of the best people I've known and im just happy I was lucky enough to spend the last 16 years of my life with her as a friend. but the grieving process is so weird, when it initially happened I was obviously upset/sad but at the time I had a generally busy life so I never really had time to fully process it for a few months. fast forward to the last few weeks it might just be an onset of seasonal depression/not being able to talk but its just been hitting me harder lately than normal, im way more emotional over stuff that doesn't directly involve me in every day life. in the friend group with her there is another one im super close with so her and I have been going back and forth for each other, lol. but it also has been a lot because as much as I am being there for her, I also get maxed out emotionally whenever we discuss her so im still trying to find a balance for myself also. I don't know man life is so weird and I don't like how different it is when someone like that is out of your life, physically.

5. Greg

first of all, I am sorry for your loss. Losing someone significant is never easy or simple.

Second of all, what you’re feeling is normal. Grief is different for everyone. There is no timeline for it. No step by step emotions that are always true for everyone. I’ve been grieving for over 20 years. It looks different all the time and is different for each person I lost.

Know you are not alone in how you feel. Know that there will be healing. The grief won’t go away, but it will feel lighter overall as time goes on. I find the below to be true.

2F81B5F3-FBBA-4FE7-85AE-6D4AAB910D05.jpeg

If you ever need someone to vent to or just talk about the person you lost, feel free to DM me.

DarkHotline, TSLROCKS, Orla and 8 others like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve never had anyone very close to me pass before my Dad so I absolutely understand grieving and how bizarre it is. The fist week I was an absolute mess. Lately my sadness has been replaced with stress and anxiety due to having to deal with all his financial/trust situations. Also taking and moving all his belongings (which is a lot), selling his cars, buying a storage unit etc. It’s been a lot. On top of that we’re planning the funeral with the help of family which is great that they’re helping.

Though I don’t think I’ll be properly able to grieve until this is all over so because of that I’m definitely also feeling guilt. I’ve felt very guilty due to me not being more…..sad? My wife was very sad for a month and I think my survival instincts kicked in a little to make sure she is ok. Idk this whole process is a lot and I’m just doing my best to take care of my family.

Here if you need to talk @GrantCloud

TSLROCKS, Orla, bigmike and 5 others like this.
  7. Orla Feb 26, 2023
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2023)
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’ll be staying out of the food threads for a while. They’re among the most fun threads, but I’ve been feeling more stressed than usual about eating lately and actively talking/ reading about food here isn’t a good choice for me at the moment

8. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Plenty of other fun threads. Way to be mindful of your needs

9. Be kind to yourself!

10. I posted about it in the Tiny Things That Annoy You thread but I'm waiting on ITS to call me because my Microsoft Authenticator app isn't working when I'm supposed to be working from home this week and I have a lot to do so it's causing me quite a bit of anxiety. Really don't want to have to make today a personal day or play catch-up.

imthesheriff, Orla and AgonizingFir like this.
  11. kfkg

prettiest person in k-mart

I'm so burned out from being burned out. I don't usually want help with anything, but I feel like the only way I could get back on my feet is to have someone hold my hand through a jumpstart of my career. So far I've been ok with studying on my own, but I don't have anyone to give me feedback, and on top of that, I have no office/corporate experience. It'd be nice to have a mentor of some kind to get me started. It'd also be nice to have some kind of employment pipeline for those on the spectrum, because interviewing also sucks.

bigmike, imthesheriff, Orla and 2 others like this.
  12. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Honest to god I feel like I cannot trust anyone at work anymore. And I don’t mean that in a personal sense - I mean it in the sense of “why is no one else catching these errors or asking these questions?”

I legit get added to projects and get pulled away from my job to assist with other things because I guess I’m known for being able to quickly see errors or I ask “questions that need to be ask but no one does or is afraid to ask” so I get bombarded with bullshit all day every day and even after being told that 10 other people have looked at something and reviewed it, I still immediately find errors that are super obvious to me.

I would love to be able to just not help out and let a shitshow unfold but somehow all of these things are used by me in some fashion so I’d be screwing myself over eventually lol

It’s so exhausting and today was fun because my manager asked if I needed help with anything and I actually did say yes and explained where needs were and when she said she personally would help I had to softly explain to her that she was asked to look at a project a few weeks ago, claimed she did, and yet that was what I was currently fixing so… yeah, you’re not helping, you actually made it worse! And how am I supposed to trust you or anyone else here when everyone says they looked at it and found nothing wrong and I find errors within the first 5 minutes.

kfkg, bigmike, Nyquist and 1 other person like this.
  13. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

apparently I must have coworkers who visit this site/thread because today was a whole endless shit stream of “oh you thought we were bad BEFORE? Check us out NOW”.

imthesheriff likes this.
  14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I was being candid with my boss about my mental health and then yesterday at end of day she said there is an option to take a step back from my role into a lesser role. But, my wife left her job, we were looking to move, we got on my insurance through work. I feel like I’ve failed her, the company and myself.

imthesheriff and Cameron like this.
  15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I am really enjoying my new psychiatrist even tho I'm convinced I annoyed him today and he thinks I'm weird. He also suspects I may have ADHD but it could also be my anxiety manifesting with similar symptoms, which to me is more likely but who knows. I had to do a checklist and it seemed pretty half and half but we dont follow up for a while. He also suggested I get a CBT workbook and start filling it out so just ordered it. Seems like I'm getting further with him than my therapist. I think because when people are still kinda strangers to me I'm not as worried about their perception of me, but once I perceive they have formed a perception of me I want to keep it positive. Idk it's weird and as I was telling him I try to be "good" at therapy I feel like he was inwardly like oh you're one of those weirdos lol but was prob just me projecting

16. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Finally got a new job after being unemployed for months. It feels so hard facing that responsibility again. Since my last job my mother passed away and my anxiety is driving me nuts. I felt great relief in getting hired, no more stress about money. But now I’m stressed about working. The pay is decent, it’s a work from home job, but I have to speak to customers all day. Not even done my training and it’s giving me so much anxiety. I’m so tired of waking up and my mental state is seemingly decided by a coin toss.

Orla, Cameron, TSLROCKS and 1 other person like this.
  17. I hate never being able to find the right amount of sleep. Being tired exacerbates everything.

Orla, AgonizingFir, Kiana and 2 others like this.
  18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Hey all, looking for some advice if anyone can help. A couple weeks ago I experienced what I think was a panic attack. I was sitting in my car waiting to pick my kid up from school when out of nowhere my heart started pounding a thousand miles an hour and I thought I was having a heart attack. Did some deep breathing and calmed down after a couple mins.

Since then my anxiety has been spiraling out of control and I haven't been sleeping well. Anyone ever deal with panic attacks and have any advice on how to calm myself down? I'm constantly dreading it happening again. Any help is appreciated.

Orla, Colby Searcy, bigmike and 4 others like this.
  19. Greg

I don’t think I’ve had a full blown panic attack, but I went through a time where I would get so anxious that I couldn’t shave. It was also when I was super depressed. It would take incredible effort to get out of bed into the bathroom. I would turn on the sink and I would start shaking. It was so weird. Just the thought of putting my hand under the stream of water to wet my face was debilitating. My body/brain was telling me not to get ready for work. As soon as I turned the water off and went back to bed I was fine. I know, it’s bizarre.

I eventually got on some anxiety meds and within days it stopped and I have never felt it since.

20. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

How i first knew I had actual anxiety and wasn't just an "anxious person." I was sitting on my couch watching Succession and got an email from my phone from someone at my work and boom, felt my left side of my body go numb, heart racing, my apple watch went off saying my heart rate was 150 and getting higher and higher, called 911 and went to the emergency room. Nothing was wrong with me, ended up being a panic attack. Went home and then couldn't sleep for a week and was constantly checking my heart rate and blood pressure waiting for it to happen again.

I highly, highly recommend if you're able to go to your PCP and talk about it and finding a medication and finding a therapist to work through it.

21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I’ve had a few and I know how scary and not fun they are.

Did you start sweating? Get hot? Dizzy? Lightheaded? Struggle to breathe? Feel like you were dying? I’m going to imagine it was even without all of or any of those symptoms, but I’d definitely get checked out by a primary doctor and go to therapy if you aren’t already. I imagine you have shit going on in life just as much as anyone else.

Highly recommend drinking something or eating something if you feel it coming on again, work on and use diaphragmatic breathing, as well as other calming techniques (i.e. noticing five items or things in your vicinity, touching something, involving all your senses).

How to deal with panic attacks

22. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

thanks so much for this. When it happened I def felt like I was dying, there was a real sense of doom and really detached from myself. Im going to for sure reach out to my dr after reading this. Thanks again

23. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

What you described is alot of what I felt, came out of nowhere, heart racing, doom, detachment, brain fog. Sorry you had to go through that.
    im going to reach out to my dr and see if I can get this situated. Thanks!

dylan, bigmike, Nyquist and 3 others like this.
  24. The Emologist

Crusted

In my experience, recognizing that panic attacks are, indeed, panic attacks has helped me more than anything else. Prior to being diagnosed with or accepting that I had anxiety I used to chock up these instances to having high blood pressure or stomach issues...so then I'd focus on the physical symptoms rather than the root of what was actually happening. Once I opened up to my PCP things got much better. I started therapy and was put on prn medication and I'm now in a much better place. Years later I still have what I would consider to be panic attacks, but the severity of them is nowhere near where they used to be.

I'm sorry that you've been going through a rough patch, but you're not alone!

David87, Orla, dylan and 3 others like this.
  25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yep that definitely sounds like a panic attack. I don’t really have anymore advice other than what everyone in here already said.

jkauf and Aaron Mook like this.