Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 334

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

That’s awesome. Proud of you!

rocketsguy03 likes this.
  2. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

What antidepressants have you guys had SUCCESS with? I’m tired of reading about someone trying this and it didn’t work and then trying that and it didn’t work. I need a good success story as I’m about to most likely have another round with them

3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

No real luck for me, but I was later diagnosed with Bipolar 2, which usually causes more depressive episodes than manic like Bipolar 1. It's not as easy to identify because of the lack of mania, but it could be worth asking your doc about if you keep trying different ones and none seem to help

DrAlanGrant and GrantCloud like this.
  4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Thanks, this helps a lot. How are you doing now?

5. RyanPm40

I'm doing a bit better than I used to - I used to get physically ill with my anxiety and depression, to the point where I'd miss multiple days of school, so I knew that wouldn't be acceptable when working full time after school and I definitely sleep a hell of a lot better.

I still struggle with anxiety and depression quite a bit, but I do think I'm in a better place than where I used to be. Sometimes I do still question if there could be better meds for me because I'm not 100% where I'd like to be, but I'm just so tired of trying new ones with bad side effects, y'know? I take Lamictal for my main symptoms, Seroquel to help calm my brain to sleep at night, and Gabapentin for some anxiety (off-label from my doc... usually used for nerve pain)

6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyone ever have anxiety, about whatever, make them feel like they “stop breathing” while trying to fall asleep? My doc doesn’t seem to think it’s apnea since it literally only happens (as far as I know) when I’m trying to fall asleep and my anxiety is higher than normal. But I wore a pulse ox the other night to see if it was just my anxiety and my o2 levels actually did drop when it happened.

7. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Currently taking Prozac and am happier (with myself) than I’ve ever been in my life. Not saying it’ll necessarily work for you though because everyone is different. I will say I take a half of a 20mg pill, 2 times a day instead of taking the full pill once a day and my doctor said this is unusual. But it works for me. I had to do it because if I took the full pill I would have diarrhea, which is apparently a common side effect. Haven’t had that issue since changing up though.

Shakriel likes this.
  8. I’m terrible at saying no and feel so bad when I actually do

Shakriel, iCarly Rae Jepsen and jkauf like this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Anyone have any experience with Venlafaxine/Effexor? My doctor wants me to try that for a few weeks. Of course the first thing I did was google negative experiences and now I’ve convinced myself I shouldn’t take it

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. RyanPm40

It did not go well for me, I felt like my heart was racing a million times a minute whenever I smoked weed and then I later read of people experiencing tachycardia when combining the two, plus it never really worked for me in general. But again, I was later diagnosed with Bipolar 2 anyways, so my opinion is probably meaningless xD

However, my fiance has been taking it for years and it helps her a lot. The brain zaps are awful if you miss a dose though. She goes into the worst depression/anxiety with a massive headache if she skips a day

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  11. djwildefire

Trusted

I tried it for a couple weeks but it made me insanely on edge and irritable.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Thank you very much. It’s definitely encouraging that you have a story that it works for someone so close to you. It was prescribed more for my anxiety/intrusive thoughts than depression - so I’m hoping it works. Did you experience any of the negative sexual side effects?

Yeah one of the bad things I read about it, especially in the first few weeks. Did you have any other bad side effects?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. RyanPm40

Ah that's a good question about the sexual side effects. I'm not 100% sure because the last I tried them was back in 2013 and have tried a bunch of stuff. I did encounter side effects with at least one of the meds I have tried. I experience them to a degree with Lamictal too, though nowhere near as bad, just less of a libido than I used to have

For what it's worth, I know my fiance has zero side effects like that, but idk if sexual side effects are common among women with it?

14. djwildefire

Trusted

I might have had nightmares, I can’t remember, that could’ve been lexapro which I tried around the same time. But the irritablity and short fuse was the main reason I stopped with it.

15. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

16. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Not sure if it's considered an antidepressant but I've had success with Abilify

17. Carmen SD

Trusted

My depression is so bad, I can’t get myself to get out of bed on my days off of work. I lay in bed all day watching Hulu or Netflix. I keep telling myself to tidy and organize but I can’t. I’m also pretty sure I have chronic fatigue syndrome. My anxiety prevents me from sleeping and it’s just getting worse. Doesn’t help that my cat keeps causing a ruckus in the middle of the night. He’s ripped the carpet in 3 different areas. He’s never done that before. So now it’s just trying to get him to stop but don’t know how. If it weren’t for my cat, I wouldn’t be here. My entire life has been hell and a mess. Nothing has changed no matter how hard I try. I’m just done. There’s no hope. My gut is telling me that I’m meant to suffer alone and die alone and I have a hard time accepting it.

zigbigwig likes this.
  18. RyanPm40

I have a routine physical with my doctor next week, so I made an early morning appointment for blood work tomorrow to hopefully avoid people, but I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack due to COVID concerns

I have a compromised immune system due to an autoimmune disease, but I also haven't had routine bloodwork in years (my last set of blood work was for labs that were specific to my disorder because it would have cost too much money to do it all at once).

Idfk if I'm making the right choice in going. Numbers in NH are low, but we also have the lowest testing rates in New England. I have a KN95 mask, but Quest labs is apparently taking walk-ins now so it makes me extra paranoid. So much anxiety.

waking season and zigbigwig like this.
  19. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I understand the anxiety. If it helps I went to an in person appointment recently and was terrified before but honestly I felt super safe and fine (as could be) after I got there. I think you’re making the right choice to go in

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

That does make me feel a little better, thanks! My mom just told me she's apparently gotten bloodwork multiple times during all of this and she's been fine, so I think I'll give it a shot. I'm just going to be perpetually overthinking and questioning whatever I do here and it's hard to stop myself from worrying

waking season likes this.
  21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I could just exist

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. Been experiencing strong depersonalization as a way to cope with work. The big problem is, it's bleeding over into my social life. I feel like an alien, but a boring one. Can't seem to think of anything unique or even coherent to say when I'm around anyone. I'm faking conversations and telling people what they want to hear. It's autopilot.

23. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m experiencing the same exact thing. Most days I feel like I’m detached/on autopilot and can’t think of anything original to say when I have the energy to talk to people. I don’t really even look forward to getting done with work because it’s just a countdown to doing it all over again the next day.

24. Yep. It's very tough. I'm going to try and up my meds, but this is the worst my depression has been in a year or so. It's sucking the enjoyment out of things I typically look forward to, and it makes me feel so bad for my fiancee/anyone trying to connect with me. I want to be present, I just feel so disconnected and not like myself.

Mary V and waking season like this.
  25. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Once again i'm dealing with thoughts of just blowing my fucking brains out and being done with everything