Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 333

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Pearl Vixen

Metal Goddess 8-]]

I am bi-polar and have had this condition for over 20 years now...My life can be very stressful at times due to this..I just wonder if anyone else here is bi-polar, would be nice to know that someone out there understands what this disease can do to you..

2. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

That wasn’t so bad. Blood pressure is lower but still too high and I only started taking my medication this week so I think it’ll get better. Got a referral to see a therapist too.

EASheartsVinyl and Shakriel like this.
  3. I know you said you probably won't respond/check back, but out of curiosity, are you seeing a therapist? I finally started going when I was at my rock bottom and hated myself following a very serious longterm breakup. I had to drag myself to the appointment, but months later, it has helped me immensely to become a more independent person. Even if the confidence isn't always there, there are actually things I like about myself now. The ways I've learned to cope with stressors in my life (from personal relationships to conflict and work) have been invaluable. I'm lucky enough to be on my parents' insurance for another year, but there are therapists who offer income-based rates and can be very flexible.

It's intimidating, and based on your BDD, I wouldn't be surprised if you already are or have seen someone in the past, but I just wanted to share what helped me when I was in a similar space. Hang in there. You have value and you are loved :heart:

4. rocketsguy03

allisterkid

I've been trying to compile a list of things to do that don't involve alcohol for when I leave rehab. My list is pretty small and is split into three sections. Any other ideas are welcome. I'm really working hard on sobriety moving forward this time after all the damage I have done to my liver the last 16 years.

Physical activities:
    30 minutes on treadmill
    45 minute walk outside while listening to music and decompressing
    sit up / push up workout

Nonphysical activities with no drinking triggers:
    45 minutes reading
    work on a jig saw puzzle
    45 minutes cleaning
    decorate my house until cravings subside
    sober meetings (AA, Recovery Dharma, LifeRing)
    Nintendo Switch time
    watch half of a movie (my ADD doesn't allow me to sit still for an entire movie)

Activities that have possible drinking triggers (only can do when I'm not craving to drink):
    9 holes golf
    2 games NBA 2k
    weekend road trip (I have 3 day weekends)

Also thinking that it might be a good idea to sign up to do Uber Eats or something on days off. Having other people in my car makes me a bit anxious and I'm too social, so I never know when people don't want to talk, so I'd probably get annoying and talk to people too much.

waking season likes this.
  5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Got a call from the therapist my doctor referred me to and she said they are booked months out. She recommended some other places that accept my insurance so I’m hoping I can see someone relatively soon but I know it’s going to be like 3 months absolute best case.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. Hang in there. The wait is discouraging, but it's so worth it once you get there. I went through the same thing.

jkauf, RyanPm40 and waking season like this.
  7. Jason

Regular

Not sure if this would be something you're interested in, but maybe you can find a therapist that isn't local to you but is working through Skype/Zoom? Work with them until someone local to you is available.

8. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I can feel my depression slowly but surely taking over. I have convinced myself I’m a terrible person and have done awful things that literally aren’t true, people have even gone over certain situations with me just to debunk certain things I think about myself and it’s not helping. The thoughts have become obsessive and I have no idea how to stop them.

9. Carmen SD

Trusted

My energy bill was $90 this pay cycle (summer rates) last month was $60. I do all I can to save energy. But when I’m not him idk how much the a/c is running (auto). I’ve been lazy and just now applied for low income because i can’t afford $90

10. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

“I think I’ve seen this film before. And I didn’t like the ending.”

11. Carmen SD

Trusted

My depression hasn’t been good lately. I haven’t been well in a long time. I’m almost never well. I’ve been neglecting self care and daily chores because I don’t want to get out of bed. Half of me doesn’t want to go to work because I don’t want to get out of bed. I don’t see a future for myself and I fear the future more and more each day. People say “it gets better” but when? I’ve been waiting for things to get better my entire life and it just gets worse. So when does it get better? Because I get the feeling for some it doesn’t. Some being me. Me being punished for something to be in this living hell. I don’t belong, not here, not anywhere.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

is anyone familiar with TMS therapy or been through it? my therapist is highly recommending i give it a shot since ive tried anti-depressants in the past without much luck and my depression reared its head again recently and caused a relapse. just curious if anyone has any experiences with it.

13. Mary V Jul 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2020)
    I feel like I’m hitting breaking point. I’m immensely privileged to live with my parents and always know I’m looked after, but my anxiety is hitting the roof when I’m not getting any alone time, my dad working from home means he’s fixing and changing things around the house and his quick temper makes me feel ill. How do I curb my anxiety around change? I find myself just shutting down to manage getting through the day. If I didn’t have my dog, I wouldn’t get out of bed each day. Some people online have called this year mass trauma in real time. I don’t know if I agree with that, having experienced trauma, but is there any other way to put it?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. djwildefire

Trusted

I haven’t, but my therapist/psychiatrist have mentioned it in the past. My mom did ECT and had a pretty negative experience with it, but from what I understand TMS has way less side effects. I’ve been a bit resistant to the idea of it, but it’s hard to put my finger on why.

sophos34 likes this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah ive been looking into it and it seems headaches are common and thats about it. preferable to the many side effects of anti depressants. gonna do a free consultation and see what i think.

djwildefire likes this.
  16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

im in basically the same exact situation. im lucky to have a roof over my head and a family to look after me after going through such a traumatic experience last month but one week into being back home and im remembering what it was like before i moved out and why i always turned to drugs. no privacy, no peace and quiet, dealing with my mom and my dad's tempers and mood swings while also trying to manage my own. if i dont move out within a month or two its going to turn into a really unhealthy situation

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Mary V like this.
  17. DaveyA89

Any folks got tips for talking to your parents about mental health struggles? I don’t have a diagnosis and would so far like to avoid antidepressants if I can. Since getting married and moving out of my share house, my wife is the only person who really sees me at my low points and it just feels far too heavy of a burden for the two of us alone. But I don’t want my parents worrying or blaming themselves.

I have been hoping over the years they will
    ask me about my mental health and invite me to open up, but doesn’t seem to be happening.

18. I’m thinking of you, Jake. I wish there was some advice to give, but I have none. It’s so rough – things can get pretty bad at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic that forces us to be home together 24/7. Stay safe and remember that everyone here has your back :heart:

sophos34 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

DaveyA89, jkauf, Mary V and 1 other person like this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I know I'm privileged to have parents who can support me emotionally and financially but it's still hard being around them sometimes because they both parrot right wing talking points which makes me uncomfortable and it's more often now, and yeah it's hard being exposed to tragedy for 4 months straight while everyone else wants to pretend there's such a thing as normalcy and it's alienating

waking season and Mary V like this.
  21. Work is getting to be unmanageable. This is the first month I'm working without a coworker (she quit) and I now have 15 SEO clients and 4 Ads clients to take care of monthly, in addition to the miscellaneous website tasks they reach out about on a daily basis. Could I be budgeting my time more wisely? Definitely. I tend to visit this site or social media in between projects to give myself a break. But it still seems like too much for one largely untrained employee to complete every month, and the fact that my company doesn't want to replace my co-worker is very discouraging. I'm back to waking up filled with anxiety because I don't want to be the reason we lose a whole client because I didn't get their blog to them on time. Just feels impossible, like I'll never see the finish line.

22. rocketsguy03

allisterkid

I left rehab today and am ready and excited to fuck alcoholism up and never let it control me again. Starting with a little soul search road trip throughout Colorado. Going to do the Royal Gorge Route tonight, drive to Gunnison / Crested Butte tomorrow, Ouray for a couple days, and then off for a couple days in Aspen before driving back home.

Time to fully embrace life!

23. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

i wish you all the luck! :heart:

you got this.

24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Wishing you success

rocketsguy03 likes this.
  25. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Hell yeah love this. You always have support in this thread. You got it!

rocketsguy03 likes this.