Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 285

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. EarthShifts

Trusted

This might be a long post. I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I need to write it out and I'm not sure where else to go.

A little over 3 weeks ago I was laying relaxing in bed when my vision started to blur a bit and I noticed that my breathing was a bit labored. I wasn't quite sure what was happening, so I sat up and instantly felt a tingling sensation go from the top of my head throughout my entire body. I started to stand up and felt like I was going to pass out so I tried to call for my wife but I couldn't speak. I fell back onto the bed and was able to call her name, and just told that I didn't know what was happening but she might need to call someone. After 20 minutes or so I came down a bit, and felt completely drained by the experience. I was unsure what had happened, and my worry was that I had a mini-stroke or something.

The next morning I woke up and was just out of it. I was having trouble speaking, forming my thoughts, typing, and just communicating in general. I felt completely outside of my body. I mentioned this to a couple people and they both instantly said "panic attack". So, I talked to my friend who has panic attacks and they said "no, that sounds like something more". At this point I decided to go see my doctor, but she was off so I saw the one on call. His thought was that it was also a panic attack but its impossible to say without further testing, and if it happened again to go to the ER. I also already had a neurologist appointment scheduled for mid-october so he said to bring it up with them, and to also talk to my therapist to see what he thinks.

A few days later I saw my therapist and walked him through everything, and he said some of it overlaps with panic attacks, but a lot of it doesn't and he wanted me to get checked out further, so after making some calls I was able to get my neurology appointment moved up.

The neurologist was a bit cold, but listened to my symptoms and wanted to get an MRI done the following week to check out my brain. I got the results back today and, thankfully, it came back clear.

I was relieved to hear this, but also a bit confused as I am still completely spaced out. I am still having trouble speaking a bit and typing. My memory, which is normally great, is awful. I feel like I am on delay and like a shell of myself. My headaches have gotten real bad, and my eyes are suddenly super sensitive to light. I have no energy to do anything. Something just isn't right, and I don't know what it is.

I called them back to ask some questions about next steps. The doctor was again very cold and said that I didn't have a stroke or brain tumor, and I could see them again in a month if I still felt off. I asked about the potential of post-concussion stuff as I had forgotten that I hit my head pretty hard while traveling at the end of August. My wife reminded me about that and said she had noticed that I had been off a bit since we got back. The doctor said it is possible and that symptoms normally clear up in 10 days, and if not 10 then up to 6 months. She then said bye and hung up.

So at this point, I am just not sure what to do. I've tried to keep it relatively quiet in my personal life as some people have just said "it must be anxiety". I have tried to parse through that and I really don't think it is. I am having my first child in December, but I am not anxious about it at all. I know what anxiety is, and this just feels like something way more.

I just want to feel normal again though. This past month has been terrible. I just can't shake it and that is actually what is causing anxiety for me now.

Shakriel likes this.
  2. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Sorry to hear all this. :heart:

It's shitty your doctors have been so dismissive about your issues, especially since it's left you anxious, which doesn't help any if it was a panic attack.

I hope things improve or you get someone to actually fucking take you seriously and help figure out the issue.

EarthShifts likes this.
  3. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

This house doesn't feel like my home right now and I don't know if it will again.

GrantCloud and Shakriel like this.
  4. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

@elwayinthe4th if you need anything I’m just down the road, literally probably. Haha

5. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

What? Lol I always thought you lived in the north loop?

GrantCloud likes this.
  6. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Nah I live in Plymouth, you are in EP right?

7. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

No Shakopee lol. I work in ep now though.

GrantCloud likes this.
  8. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Well if you ever want to get together and get a drink sometime let me know! I work construction so my hours during the week are usually just chilling at home but weekends I’m generally free.

9. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

Ok that would be cool! I would not have expected that you work construction lol.

GrantCloud likes this.
  10. Carmen SD

Trusted

Have a long list of low income apartments to look at. I won’t get to all of them in a day. I feel lost and it’s hard to get by. On top of doing my intern hours, I have to take a state required class which is going to cost almost $400, on top of that I need a new car, on top of that a place to live. When things are stable it takes a turn for the worst and goes down the shitter. It always happens. Why. Why does shit always happen to me. I can’t sleep or think and I don’t know how I can keep going on

Shakriel likes this.
  11. K0ta Sep 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 29, 2019)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Social media has been fucking with my head so I deactivated all of mine. I feel somewhat anxious about it but also free.

It's been a cycle with me all year to take social media (including at times chorus and overall internet) breaks because being plugged in all the time is really bad for me. I just see posts from friends hanging without me or people I'm distant from and it starts to really bum me out. I get angry, sad, frustrated, and it's all coming from a place I know is unhealthy and also completely overblown. I am gonna shoot for a month and hope that helps.

Shakriel, bigmike, Carmen SD and 3 others like this.
  12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Hey @EarthShifts, do you get migraines by any chance? I had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago and I thought I was having a stroke. A few hours later, I developed a migraine worse than usual and discovered the “silent” migraine onset which can be super scary and disorienting. it can apparently happen without the headache pain.

Silent Migraine: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and More

edit: for reference, this occurred when I was going through a really stressful time at work and kind of just came on while I was at the office. Then I DID have a panic attack and cried and my boyfriend had to drive me home. So fun.

EarthShifts and Shakriel like this.
  13. ReginaPhilange Sep 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 29, 2019)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

been eating basically half a meal a day for a couple weeks now. My sleep issues have ramped up again and it's so fucked up it's really messing with me. Sleep paralysis, hallucinations, sometimes I feel something grabbing me or pulling me - honestly if I lived 200 years ago I'd think I fucking lost it and was possessed but obviously I know better. I literally come out of it screaming because I'll see figures in the room and it scares the shit out of my girlfriend cuz she's passed out. I've started hearing what I think are voices before I sleep but I think my mind is just overactive because I'm scared it's going to happen. I just feel sick and I can't eat.

also, I normally know to keep my eyes shut when I'm having it, but it's really hard when you feel someone grabbing you and I shit you not it actually hurts, the brain is weird af.

bigmike likes this.
  14. EarthShifts

Trusted

I do get migraines, and they have ramped up a bit over the past few weeks. Thank you for this. I will look into it further.

The one thing I have found though, while researching, is that so many things have the same exact symptoms. I don't know how doctors ever diagnose someone and feel truly confident in it.

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]

bigmike, SlappinCups and Shakriel like this.
  16. Carmen SD

Trusted

Went to search for low income apartments. Half weren’t even low income because rent was over 1100. One place charges out the ass for pet rent (50), which is the highest I’ve ever seen! Also to rent a w/d it’s 50 a month also, which is more than the other place. I’m getting more depressed rn. I literally can’t afford shit in this state

17. Jams

Trusted

I feel like I’m doing good with my driving. I go every day and today I went down the busier roads by me. I also successfully parked and backed up in a parking lot that wasn’t empty!! But then I think about the damn test and it makes me sick. I get so nervous during any test and I’m afraid I’m going to make dumb mistakes. It’s dumb bc I don’t even have my test scheduled yet and I know if I fail I can just retake it. But I put so much pressure on myself bc if I fail it’s required that I pay for schooling and I don’t want to do that bc I need all my money to buy a car. Also terrified of the maneuverability portion. I have no where to practice it so I guess I have to buy some little baby cones and go to an empty parking lot and hope that’s good enough. I just haaaate backing up. And my moms car is a big SUV which doesn’t help. I’ll just be so glad when all the testing is overrrr!!!

18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have to work hard not to let others feelings dictate my own. I didn't get the reaction from someone I expected and I'm letting that color my view. I'm such a people pleaser that it's difficult for me to navigate when I think something will please someone and I get the opposite reaction. I need to be confident in my decisions and thought processes and be okay with it. It's so hard tho.

19. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I'm currently in a pretty volatile headspace because i have no idea what's going on with my dad and the people in my family who would know are the exact people i don't want to talk to about anything. The uncertainty is really eating at me. He could be going to prison, he could be going back to a convalescent home; i just don't know and my brother and sister are certainly not going to tell me anything since all they do is fucking lecture me. I don't know how i'm going to handle any of this.

20. Kiana

No clue what is going on with my sleep but it's triggering other issues like anxiety and suicidal ideation. I am just getting the worst sleep and all of my dreams are unsettling and involve my childhood home and it's becoming like a self fulfilling prophecy where I am starting to get anxious about sleeping which prob triggers the issue too. When I lay down to go to bed it doesn't feel "right." Like psychologically it doesn't feel like my bed. Idek.

21. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I wanna give up

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

23. Kiana

24. Carmen SD Oct 3, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2019)
    Carmen SD

Trusted

Feeling really down and depressed. This week is the week I was suppose to go on vacation, but that went to shit. It's hard not to think about it. Like idk how I'm going to get passed this. I haven't been the same over the past 3 months and idk what to do. I barely make it to work on time. I can't focus on anything and I have no motivation. I just want to go to sleep and not wake up

Edit: I'm actually in tears rn. I wish I had someone to talk to but I have no one. As always

25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I hate my appearance so fucking much. We had professional photos taken for our company website and everyone looks so good in them and I look awful. I gained some weight over the past few years which makes me hate my appearance even more. I'm down about 25 pounds from my heaviest, which I am happy about, but when I see this photos... I just hate hate hate hate my appearance. fuck. I notice how my suit looks tight where it shouldn't and how round my face is and my chin and fucking fuck fdkjfsd;a;jkfsd;jkfsd

I've never been happy with how I look, but lately, I can barely take looking at myself. Thinking about my face being on the website disgusts me and I want to stop it. I had them switch the photo they selected but nothing looks good.

/rant