Mental Health Thread • Page 282

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm gonna put this behind a spoiler bc I'm like waxing philosophical about depression/suicide? Idk

at work the other day for a work-related topic ppl were trying to figure out if a suicidal attempt was impulsive behavior and it kind of got me thinking. Like suicidal thoughts stem from depression which is not impulsive, but I feel like the act of trying to commit suicide can be impulsive, depending. Idk. It was interesting hearing the perspective of ppl who presumably don't struggle with it. They kept saying "I don't impulsively wake up one morning just thinking I want to kill myself" which like... Must be nice lol. I think it depends on the person and situation whether it's impulsive or not, but I got me thinking about my own mental health. Some days I'm legit like "naw wouldn't wanna do it because my apt is a mess and I don't need my family wading thru my dirty chonies. I should do laundry first" and then I get distracted and kinda snap out of the mood which isn't impulsive, but then sometimes the sudden mood swings can feel v impulsive. Like I'll be fine and dandy one moment and then miserable and thinking about it the next. When ur brain thinks "ugh I want to die" like 100 times a day I can see impulsively going thru with it one of those times without necessarily planning for it. Idk. I guess all this rambling to say I wish there was a more nuanced view of depression/suicide since it doesn't just look like one thing. Espesh in my line of work where that's an important thing to know. I didn't contribute to the discussion because I didn't know how to talk about it without talking about my own experiences and I didn't wanna do that, but it just got me thinking and was kind of an inadvertently triggery convo

2. DarkHotline

Swedish Festival Enthusiast Supporter

I feel like I’ve regressed so much mentally

3. personalmaps

guppy Supporter

Lmao okay so she told my boyfriend she did it because she felt a “weird vibe” from me the last time she saw me and decided it meant I secretly hate her. I literally had fucking food poisoning the last time I saw her and had to leave dinner early to go throw up a hundred times. I know it’s not my fault that people project their own issues on to me, but I can’t help but wonder what it is about me that I attract these black hole type of people who take and take from me and add nothing of value and aren’t good friends ever. Like I have literally done so much for this girl, been there for her through so much, and she dropped me because she made up a weird vibe once. What the hell.

4. Shakriel

I'm just so tired of thinking about everything Prestigious

Yeah, I totally get this.

I stay silent too whenever the subject of suicide comes up in any conversation. I don't know how to talk about it, because to me the thoughts are always there in the back of my mind, occasionally coming to the forefront at random moments throughout the day in relation to small things and big stressful stuff. For me to likely do it, it would have been with everything in my life coming to a head and me being completely done with everyhing to the point that it puts me past the one thing thats always held me back: putting my family through the pain. Too often i stand at the BART stops and contemplate what it would be like to just step off the platform when a train is coming.

you mentioning the leaving a clean place behind reminds me of a movie called Wristcutters where it starts off with him cleaning his apartment, making it spotless, and then killing himself. I dunno, just a random thought.

Kiana likes this.
  5. Kiana

I think that's a great way to explain how it feels. For ppl who don't struggle with it I imagine they don't realize how exhausting it is to use coping skills and tools like 100x a day when those thoughts come up, sometimes triggered by something obvious and sometimes coming out of seemingly nowhere.

Shakriel likes this.
  6. Kiana

Posted this in chat thread too, but this was v relatable and interesting to watch. It's long but doesn't feel boring to me. Will Friedle talks a lot about his anxiety and panic attacks and how he had to restructure his entire life basically and how it impacted his career, and he's p insightful about how his money gave him that privilege to restructure his life. I didn't realize what a cool guy he is

Dodger and Jams like this.
  7. Shakriel

When you posted it in the other thread, I immediately added it to my podcast queue to listen to. I always loved watching him in stuff growing up (Boy Meets World, HE double hockey sticks, and Kim Possible) and was already vaguely aware of his anxiety causing him to pivot to voice acting, i believe.

Kiana likes this.
  8. Carmen SD

Trusted

I hate being ugly. I have no friends. I hate being alone. Idk why i had to be born ugly. I can’t stand to look in the mirror or even at my body when I shower or dress. I’m so repulsed by the way I look. No one will ever love someone like me. It’s not possible. Why can’t I just get really sick and I can let myself die. I rather be dead than suffer thru life like this, and suffer alone. I don’t belong here. I don’t have a purpose. I’m just a waste of space.

Shakriel likes this.
  9. Changed my bed sheet and pillowcases for the first time in an embarrassingly long time. Tiny victories, huh?

10. GBlades

Trusted

But a victory nonetheless!

Mary V likes this.
  11. Kiana

I hope you're doing okay bb. I used to feel this way a lot, and often still do. I truly wish I had an answer for it. Some days I think I've improved my self esteem and it only takes like one unflattering pic of me or catching myself in bad lighting to have it all come tumbling down. Feels like every time I finally make peace with one "flaw" I find another to fixate on. I wish you well. It's easy to tell someone to be kind to themselves, but that's so difficult to actually do in practice

12. Shakriel

I feel this all the time (both the body image and feeling lonely) and you can hit me up if you ever want someone to talk to. No one should feel alone.

I pulled this off a couple weeks ago, now it's time for my towels haha.

Mary V likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I was walking with a ghost Supporter

I change my sheets once a month at most if I remember, to be fair it takes me like 20 minutes to put on a fitted sheet and it still falls off immediately in my sleep haha

Mary V likes this.
  14. Shakriel

Oh god, that would drive me nuts. I can't sleep if my sheets aren't on my bed perfectly.

15. PureBlueSF

It's out of my hands Supporter

I blocked pretty much everyone in my family except for my mom and my youngest sister on everything possible and I feel like things are finally starting to get a little better for once. I should have done this a long time ago instead of wasting so much time letting all of these people poison my life.

BirdPerson and Shakriel like this.
  16. Carrow

Japanese Bonus Track

So I've been very depressed for a few weeks and trying to sound like I'm OK when I'm really just not. Unsure if I want to be alive anymore and everything seems fucking pointless. I can't get a job and recording a radio show every week is the only reason I leave my apartment. I find it so hard to get out of bed when I wake up and I can't find pleasure in anything. Tonight I've been considering self-harming and I'm just gonna stay out drinking for want of something to do. Life seems bleak and empty & I don't know how much longer I can keep going or if I even want to.

17. GBlades

Trusted

I've never really been very vocal, either online or irl, about how down I'm feeling due to my personal circumstances. Sometimes I've found it had to get around anywhere that isn't my kitchen and then its straight back to bed. I've always put on a face of a confident young guy who is outspoken and funny but, as you've probably guessed, that's a wall that needed a hammer taken to it.

Recently, my family and girlfriend gave me a bit of tough love. Just in regards to my behaviour and attitude to life and it really hit home. There was no malice or bad intent but it genuinely has given me a new outlook. I'm 30 on the 10th of September and really need my life in order. I've managed to just get out of bed and go and do things without worrying where some form of depression or anxiety is taking me and, if I stick to it, it's a start.

Guess I just wanted to post a positive result recently.

18. Lastsliceofpizza

I wish I had someone I could talk to. I'm 30 and still dealing with self harm (which I feel is for teens) and I have other things that make me feel shitty.

19. Lastsliceofpizza

I've been there and I'm still there.

The only advice I have is to exercise if you don't all ready. I'm sure you have heard that a million times and it may not be helpful but it's all I got.

Carrow and johnnyutes like this.
  20. xapplexpiex

the past is a grotesque animal Supporter

Yep
    1EB8B918-3B34-4B2D-92E6-2D1C00A0BECE.jpeg

BirdPerson, Carrow, mad and 2 others like this.
  21. Kiana

Idk how to articulate it but I feel like I'm on the cusp of something. Like I've been doing a lot of listening and learning and self reflection and maybe my mindset is finally changing and maybe that will finally give me the motivation to change something for the better. Most of my problems are self inflicted. Nobody else puts me in this box except for me. I am the only one limiting myself and my life at this point. Like I'm getting the thought process down and now I need to learn how to direct that into positive change.

22. Carmen SD

Trusted

Its really hard to function daily when you don't have a life worth living. I wake up and cry for how ugly I am, how lonely I am, how unwanted I am. How I'll never be happy again. For many years I always wonder why I got put on this earth to suffer. I don't want to suffer anymore.

Shakriel likes this.
  23. Kiana

The book I'm reading posed the question: "would you rather be right all the time or happy?" At first I was like psssh I can be both!! But the more I dwell the more I realize the accuracy. I like to think I can acknowledge when I make a mistake or am wrong, but for situations where someone is yelling at me for something that isn't my fault I get so heated because I need them to know they're wrong. I overthink it to death and it leads to nothing but anxiety and misery. I need to learn how to let that go or figure out how to cope with it. I admit that the need to be right interferes with my happiness sometimes but idk how to transform that into action or meaningful change.

ChiliTacos and bigmike like this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I was walking with a ghost Supporter

Ken, SlappinCups and Shakriel like this.
  25. Shakriel Sep 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2019)
    Shakriel

It's really fun how seeing a picture of myself just really ruins my mood. I fucking hate looking at myself and it embarrasses me that that's how i look to people.