Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 277

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah thinking about a future career used to give me pretty extreme anxiety. I hate what I do and have known for quite some time that it isn't sustainable long term for me, but the pay is good so I kinda just stuck it out. Made the decision to go to nursing school two years ago and I've slowly been chipping away at that ever since. I've finally reached the point where I need to ramp up the schooling and quit my current job. I have less than 4 weeks left and I can already feel the weight lifting off my back.

I believe there's something out there for everyone, but you have to want it for yourself. @ChaseTx if you feel like being a firefighter could be a good move for you, then that's awesome!! But if you're just doing it to please your parents, I don't see that ending well for you long term. Truly wish you the best in your search, you deserve something that makes you happy :heart:

bigmike, iCarly Rae Jepsen and K0ta like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Thinking of a career path when climate change doesn't make longterm planning seem realistic plus thinking about what salary I need to survive gives me a headache

3. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I've been at my job a year and even though I am not in this for the long-term I'm still asking for a raise since I am being grossly underpaid for the position I am in, and it's giving me massive anxiety. I've never asked for a raise of this size and I have no idea how to go about this haha

4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah nursing is something I really want to do but I've kinda put myself in a position where going back to school will be very difficult to do.

Aside from that, I want to get out of sales for sure and do something that isn't so focused on profit.

bigmike likes this.
  6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I understand that. I'm leaving sales and it's so draining and soul sucking.

You could always do something like EMT which is just like one course I believe and maybe get in somewhere that would pay for more schooling? Just a thought. Again I wish you all the best.

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Being a firefighter is a shit ton of work mentally and physically. If that’s not what you want to do or have ambition in I would avoid it @ChaseTx

Not to mention the time requirements, odd schedules and everything else that goes into a job where you’re literally saving people’s lives.

What about an admin assistant? Or working as a contract worker on short / medium term (6-9 month) assignments? That way if it sucks you can end early or make it to the end and then go on to something new but utilizing new skills you learned along the way without needing to find a whole new employer.

8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I should look into admin assistant jobs. I think an issue I have is all my jobs have been sales/customer service so those are the only jobs I see, but it's not what I want to do. And I don't necessarily know what I should be looking for.

9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I got put on Adderall and started taking it yesterday morning. Ever since then, I’ve had a facial tic, dry mouth to the point of my lips being so chapt it looks like I’m wearing lipstick, and my heart is racing. I won’t be taking it tomorrow.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah that's why I stopped taking it. It also made me irritable as hell when I would come down from it and my brain would be in such a fog. It truly did wonders and helped me a lot in concentration, but the side effects just weren't worth it :/ really sucks

11. Carmen SD

Trusted

My mind and body are exhausted beyond I can handle. I’m not thinking straight at all and have been very forgetful. We’re constantly short staffed at my job and they don’t seem to do anything about it. It’s gotten busier so we’re doing twice the job while the people who don’t need more people on their unit and constantly getting new hires. They already sit around do nothing for half the shift which has been reported several times to the big boss, but nothing changes. More people would just allow them to sit around more while my unit breaks their backs and doesn’t get a breather.

12. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Hahaha I'll be bringing that student loan debt millennial who can't even cover rent with one job realness to this meeting

bigmike likes this.
  13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I need a self-care night right now. KFC and Netflix it is...

Shakriel likes this.
  14. Carmen SD

Trusted

I’m never good enough. I have so many mental issues no one would want to be with me. I can’t function in life alone. I really don’t know why I was put on earth to live this terrible life. Nothing ever goes right. I get treated like a fucking child still i can’t stand it.

LWS likes this.
  15. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I feel you on this one.
    [​IMG]

GrantCloud and LWS like this.
  16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I hate when my brain is unreasonable. Sometimes I yearn to be the center of attention and have people make a fuss for me, but then if they do I get all embarrassed and withdrawn and introverted and can't accept the attention or praise or whatever it is. Like I don't want the attn but at the same time I get disappointed being looked over so I'm never happy. Idk how to reconcile that.

Also my sleep has been terrible. My dreams have been silly anxious ones. Like I'll be late to class WHEN I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR YEARS or I'll double book myself and feel super guilty or make everyone late for a trip. I used to be prescribed trazadone but it made me feel super drowsy all day so idk idk. I don't have trouble falling asleep but struggle to stay asleep

17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I don't know how to reconcile that either, I feel like that pretty often. It's difficult. I think it's my mind (maybe yours too, idk your life) trying to tell me to be more outgoing but at the same time being too afraid to be. It sucks.

yup. all of this is 100 percent me as well. I have that late to class one occasionally. Usually though it's more like I forgot to do a paper or something.

18. Kiana

I think part of it is my middle child syndrome. I'm used to always feeling overlooked and I can get resentful about it, but then if someone tried to make a fuss over me I'm not used to it and would be super uncomfortable. I do think sometimes I'm like a wannabe outgoing person but then in reality it's just not me and then I get all angsty lol

19. Kiana

This is from one of my books on working with kids but has helped me in other areas of life, including mental health wise

IMG_20190802_133753.jpg

20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ve realized I need to work on two things to improve my mental health immensely: stop being on my phone all day and stop comparing myself to other people.

ChiliTacos and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. Kiana

I would rather get emo in my car and blast Matchbox Twenty than hang around others on a Friday night. And I feel like those introverted "tee hee I'm a recluse" posts can come off like cute and quirky and a badge of honor on Tumblr or online or something, but irl it's upsetting to me. On the one hand I know this is me and I'm just not the kinda person who goes out and has lots of friends, but it's also debilitating to feel so anxious and uptight and uncomfortable all the time. I am content being alone but I feel like that's not normal or something and people have been starting to point it out more and I'm like idk I'd legit rather listen to music or watch a movie by myself than go out. And again like in memes or whatever it can seem relatable or something but it's actually a bit distressing. Idk if it's content with being alone or if it's withdrawing from others. My friends all do the tee hee I'm such a loser who sits at home all day thing, but in reality they're not. It almost feels like... Appropriation of anxiety?? Idek if that makes sense but I feel like it's trendy to claim anxiety or introversion sometimes when the actual real life thing isn't fun

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it's hard to know how much my brain is lying to me about wanting to be alone all the time, but I def alternate between being envious and being mad of people living their best life

23. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

This is how I feel whenever I see those memes passed around on Facebook and I never know if I’m right to feel that way. Then I start feeling guilty about judging people I don’t know which makes me feel even more anxious. Over the last couple years I have begun pulling away and posting less and less on social media and this is one of the many reasons why.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. Kiana

I don't have a big social media presence but like my old rm used to say stuff like that and I barely ever saw her because she was out so much lmao. I think some of it is perception. We compare ourselves to others on social media or like tv shows where they're always doing something, so it feels like less in comparison. Which is a legit thing too, but idk. I feel like legit anxiety is getting conflated with basic nerves sometimes too? Idk my anxiety can feel really isolating and dark so it's hard when I see ppl sort of adopting the label flippantly. And I'm glad there's the visibility around it and if ppl are taking their anxiety and turning it into a positive that's a good thing, but I guess it's hard on a personal level because when I try to discuss my anxiety and how it manifests with other ppl they don't seem to get it despite sharing the memes and stuff. Which feels even more isolating. It's why I like working with kids tho. They're so genuine and earnest about those emotions that I relate to them rly well, more so than adults usually

Petit nain des Îles and Nyquist like this.
  25. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Yes. I’ve had friends and relatives say things on social media as well as in person about “having a panic attack” that comes across very flippantly. Often some variation of “Swear I was about to have a panic attack!”

I just never know how to approach it. When I’ve had panic attacks it has typically involved the paramedics showing up and either putting me on a stretcher and carting me away to a hospital or laying me on the floor, stripping my clothing, and doing their best to bring me back while I cry and try my hardest to speak clearly through clenched jaws as as my muscles are spasming. Either way, no matter how it plays out, my loved ones always end up standing there, helplessly watching the whole thing in horror. When it’s over I am filled with deep shame that it happened again and I cover my face with my hands because I feel like it’s the only place I can hide while I cry because this will never be over.

I don’t know. I know it’s a spectrum and everyone’s experience is different so how can I judge, but I still can’t help but be bothered by it when, yeah, it sometimes does feel like nerves get conflated with anxiety. It’s great that mental health awareness is growing, but sometimes...I don’t know. I feel bad even saying any of this.