1. We've launched a new merch store featuring the Chorus.fm and classic AbsolutePunk.net logo on a variety of t-shirts, hoodies, and other items. Check it out now on at Threadless.
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Health Thread • Page 257

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The best goddamn bird lawyer in the world. Supporter

Yeah, I think you're right, that it's the best thing for me to do. If I'm vague and mysterious about my disappearance, that just gives more room for judgemental opinions like "why the hell is he working from home when he only has a 15 minute commute!?" Heh.

2. oldjersey

Luigipeppercorn is a hack geek Supporter

In a professional environment people are much more understanding, I couldn't even comprehend anyone reacting negatively to you informing them about your situation.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. ChaseTx

Nuke the site from orbit. The only way to be sure Prestigious

A year ago I got fired from a job where I was unhappy, then I took another job that I really hated and a month ago I got fired from there. It's been a really stressful month with moving and looking for a job and every rejection makes me feel like I have no discernable professional or social skills and just generally without any value. And I want to have a social life but I have no idea where to start and I don't really feel good about myself overall.

Anyway I need to get things sorted out and get back on track. I wish I had some guidance on that or a sense that things are going to be ok

4. rebecca Feb 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2019)
    rebecca

Regular

I wrote about this earlier but I deleted it because I didn't like how I explained it but I'm freaking out again

College just isn't kind to mentally ill people lmao I literally have no clue what to do in my current situation, I have never been this financially/academically fucked and nobody at the school is helping me and I can't see my therapist anymore because she stopped taking all insurance and I lose my insurance this month anyway and have to start paying my psychiatrist out of pocket since he's still making medication adjustments

I don't know who to turn to for help because I don't know if anyone CAN help me or if my mental illness/physical illness just really fucking ruined my life this time and I know I'm being dramatic but that's how it feels

Basically though I e-mailed my financial adviser telling her my psychiatrist said he'd write a note explaining why a person who recent experienced a mixed bipolar episode and was currently depressed shouldn't take 5 classes at once and her response was literally JUST "please check your account, you have lost your scholarship" and now I owe the school $8,000 I can't afford and I'm pretty sure that means I can't continue attending nor can I transfer anywhere else until I pay that off

Also I'm severely depressed but I don't think they'll let me do a leave of absence

Going to this school while I hadn't gotten my health straightened out was a huge mistake

LWS and RyanPm40 like this.
  5. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I got a new job that is like 100x times better than my old job and yet right now I’m still feeling eh on it.

I don’t even know why but I start to not focus on work at all and my production numbers go down which can lead to getting in trouble.

6. rebecca

Regular

Shopping for therapists online when I have a million diagnoses is fun because I have to go through the list of issues they treat and make sure they all treat every single one I have or at least most of them, and the list seems like it just keeps growing.

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Last week has been awful

Basically realized that I can’t afford to buy the house I was so excited about. Even with my girlfriend helping with the mortgage I still would have no room to breathe.
    She’s upset because she really wants to get a place of our own that’s not a rental or small apartment. I get it. I’m upset too.

I just feel like a complete letdown in all aspects of life lately.

I don’t know how to make anyone happy.
    This whole week I’ve just been down on myself and it’s scrwing up my relationship with how self loathing I’ve been. I’m at the point where I’m terrified that she’s just going to leave because I’m too much to deal with when I get like this.

I’m just exhausted with myself. I’m tired of struggling to survive on top of struggling to deal with my mind.

Shakriel likes this.
  8. rebecca

Regular

Feeling better today...my adviser said if I do an involuntary medical withdrawal they won't charge me. Clearly the scholarship is too much pressure for me on top of health/mental health issues so I could see what kind of aid they give me without it for next term. If it's not enough aid I'll probably just go back to taking classes online at my old school since I could afford that. Not ideal and I am disappointed but it's better than I thought it would be.

Shakriel, LWS and RyanPm40 like this.
  9. Shakriel

In these hands I'll hide, in these hands I'll hide Prestigious

My health freakout is over. I finally visited a doctor for the first time in a very long time. Got test results tonight and the issue I was worried about I don't have.

I don't even know how to feel right now. Been so wound tight over this for the past three weeks that some of the symptoms might have literally just been from that.

Oh, and I'm also now on anti-anxiety meds. So hopefully that helps me there.

10. Kiana

You look like bad news, I gotta have you Prestigious

I wish I could even pretend to fit in sometimes. Can't fake it til you make it if you can't even convincingly pretend you're a normal human.

11. upload_2019-2-10_21-15-41.jpeg

12. man my brain is obsessed with comparing myself to my friends and it's making me sick
    just yesterday one of my besties was telling me about some shit she's going through at work and one of my main take aways was "hmm her problems are so much more grown up than mine. I'm a pathetic child."

SlappinCups, LWS and Shakriel like this.
  13. scroopy.noopers

: (

I'm not sure why, but my brain decided to get triggered really hard today and I collapsed into an anxious mess. I don't feel safe in my home, i don't feel safe with my partner, i don't feel like i have a home or anyone to talk to. None of that should be true, but I'm really paranoid. Its almost like there are three different voices of negative screaming at me in my head.

14. ChaseTx

Nuke the site from orbit. The only way to be sure Prestigious

I relate to this hard. I was just thinking about how I don't feel like a real person and can't engage with people.

And then I wonder if maybe nothing is wrong with me and I just overthink everything

Or maybe it's circumstantial and I just need to get a job and then I can make friends and things will be better

15. Mason

Regular

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal and cope with the feeling of immense loneliness? I live with my boyfriend but don't have anyone else I am friends with in my city. He is going to be leaving next month on a work trip that will be 2-3 months of him being gone in the middle-east, which also means I won't even really get to speak to him that often. I'm worried about how I am going to handle him being away for so long and not having any real human interaction for that length of time. (minus going to work, but I am not friends with anyone at my job)

16. Petit nain des Îles

Golden Hour Supporter

Struggling to find a place to rent and not being able to go to work when I get called for a temp contract anymore, on top of still being stuck in an isolated village with no way to get my social life back, are quickly making me depressed again. I'm back on my old avoidance behaviors which is even worse ugh. I just feel like a burden on a constant basis.

17. K0ta

hold onto hope if you got it. Supporter

Being comfortable being alone is a really hard thing, but even when you get to that point it's not enough if you're alone all the time. My bf has to go away for training and will be gone for weeks to months, which we've done before, but I find my tendency is to isolate instead of to seek out company. Are you new to the city you live in and haven't made friends, or have you two just been your main company for each other?

18. Mason

Regular

Not new to the city at all. Been here over 5 years. Came for law school and once I graduated, all the people I knew from school moved away. The one friend I had left in town recently got married and its just now very rare to see her. So I think I've just become comfortable in my daily routine of going to work M-F, coming home every night to cook dinner and go to sleep, and then just hanging at home with the bf over the weekend. We are also trying to move to Orlando sometime in a few months when he gets back from his trip, which is just increasing my anxiety. Ive never been good at meeting people or having a lot of friends so I'm also concerned that a new city isn't really going to fix anything.

19. K0ta

Going to a new city probably won't change anything. It may provide a new prospective on things, but it's likely that you'll fall into the same habits that you're comfortable with. Maybe try reaching out to this friend and asking her to get together? What does your SO say? Have you spoken to him about this?

20. Mason

Regular

I haven't spoken to him about it, but probably should. I should also reach out my friend and see if she'd want to catch up. Thanks. Just dreading my bf leaving for so long. Told myself I'd use this month as another opportunity to better myself by getting some exercise and sticking to a diet. Hard to make excuses up when its just me I'm buying food for. I'm hoping that might help with some self-confidence and maybe get me more ok with not having to be around people for self worth.

21. K0ta

I suggest you tell him exactly how you feel, and stress to him how important it is that he do his best to be in touch as much as possible while he is gone. It seems like you have a solid relationship if you're both comfortable being away from each other for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make sure your needs are met. My bf and I at most spent 7 months apart without seeing each other while he was in another state training, and we talked every day, sometimes more than once. Obviously not being in the same country will pose communication issues, but talk about other ways you can talk too - social media, email, etc. It's hard to be apart but the more open and honest you are the better it will be for both of you. It's okay to make your needs heard while still supporting his work.

Cleaning up your diet and getting some exercise are great for mood. Do you cook at home? You can better control what you put in your body. I started cooking most of my meals at home within the last year or so and it has helped my self-image so much, because I just feel so much cleaner and healthier than when I was eating out a lot. I also find it passes the time and helps occupy the mind and relieve stress.

You should know that everything you are feeling is natural and valid and it's okay to feel that, and asking for help is going to make a difference. Start making plans now for how you will deal with the time he is away, bring him into that conversation with you. It will help.

22. Mason

Regular

Thank you so much for all the advice and help. I'm feeling a lot better about this, just from getting it off my chest, even if just on the internet. I definitely will have to just let him know how I am feeling and explain to him that being able to communicate while he is away will help me incredibly. I do like to cook and usually do so when not too lazy after work. It'll actually be nice to be able to cook for just me for a change and try out some recipes I've been wanting to. The idea that it will pass time and relieve stress is an excellent one. Appreciate everything and I'm going to talk to him about it tonight that way we have a solid three weeks to discuss and plan before he leaves. :)

bigmike and K0ta like this.
  23. K0ta

No problem! If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me. :) Glad it helped.

Mason likes this.
  24. K0ta

I went to the doctor yesterday, just routine medical stuff trying to establish a primary care physician because I finally have a stable insurance plan for the first time in 2 years. Gave her my medical history, including a brief overview of my uh...very extensive psych history, to say the least.

Left the office in perfect health with a psych referral. :facepalm2:Maybe I can finally get an Ativan prescription again.

rebecca likes this.
  25. JM95

Trusted

Just started on medication for anxiety. Finally plucked up the courage to see a doctor last week after putting it off for a long time. Hope it can help because I'm in a constant state of hopelessness right now. Barely feel able to leave the house most days. Mood ranges from complete numbness to overwhelming frustration.

Thinking of taking a step away from the internet for a week or two to see if that helps in any way.

rebecca likes this.