Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mental Health Thread • Page 256

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AelNire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mason

Regular

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal and cope with the feeling of immense loneliness? I live with my boyfriend but don't have anyone else I am friends with in my city. He is going to be leaving next month on a work trip that will be 2-3 months of him being gone in the middle-east, which also means I won't even really get to speak to him that often. I'm worried about how I am going to handle him being away for so long and not having any real human interaction for that length of time. (minus going to work, but I am not friends with anyone at my job)

2. Struggling to find a place to rent and not being able to go to work when I get called for a temp contract anymore, on top of still being stuck in an isolated village with no way to get my social life back, are quickly making me depressed again. I'm back on my old avoidance behaviors which is even worse ugh. I just feel like a burden on a constant basis.

3. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Being comfortable being alone is a really hard thing, but even when you get to that point it's not enough if you're alone all the time. My bf has to go away for training and will be gone for weeks to months, which we've done before, but I find my tendency is to isolate instead of to seek out company. Are you new to the city you live in and haven't made friends, or have you two just been your main company for each other?

4. Mason

Regular

Not new to the city at all. Been here over 5 years. Came for law school and once I graduated, all the people I knew from school moved away. The one friend I had left in town recently got married and its just now very rare to see her. So I think I've just become comfortable in my daily routine of going to work M-F, coming home every night to cook dinner and go to sleep, and then just hanging at home with the bf over the weekend. We are also trying to move to Orlando sometime in a few months when he gets back from his trip, which is just increasing my anxiety. Ive never been good at meeting people or having a lot of friends so I'm also concerned that a new city isn't really going to fix anything.

5. K0ta

Going to a new city probably won't change anything. It may provide a new prospective on things, but it's likely that you'll fall into the same habits that you're comfortable with. Maybe try reaching out to this friend and asking her to get together? What does your SO say? Have you spoken to him about this?

6. Mason

Regular

I haven't spoken to him about it, but probably should. I should also reach out my friend and see if she'd want to catch up. Thanks. Just dreading my bf leaving for so long. Told myself I'd use this month as another opportunity to better myself by getting some exercise and sticking to a diet. Hard to make excuses up when its just me I'm buying food for. I'm hoping that might help with some self-confidence and maybe get me more ok with not having to be around people for self worth.

7. K0ta

I suggest you tell him exactly how you feel, and stress to him how important it is that he do his best to be in touch as much as possible while he is gone. It seems like you have a solid relationship if you're both comfortable being away from each other for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't make sure your needs are met. My bf and I at most spent 7 months apart without seeing each other while he was in another state training, and we talked every day, sometimes more than once. Obviously not being in the same country will pose communication issues, but talk about other ways you can talk too - social media, email, etc. It's hard to be apart but the more open and honest you are the better it will be for both of you. It's okay to make your needs heard while still supporting his work.

Cleaning up your diet and getting some exercise are great for mood. Do you cook at home? You can better control what you put in your body. I started cooking most of my meals at home within the last year or so and it has helped my self-image so much, because I just feel so much cleaner and healthier than when I was eating out a lot. I also find it passes the time and helps occupy the mind and relieve stress.

You should know that everything you are feeling is natural and valid and it's okay to feel that, and asking for help is going to make a difference. Start making plans now for how you will deal with the time he is away, bring him into that conversation with you. It will help.

8. Mason

Regular

Thank you so much for all the advice and help. I'm feeling a lot better about this, just from getting it off my chest, even if just on the internet. I definitely will have to just let him know how I am feeling and explain to him that being able to communicate while he is away will help me incredibly. I do like to cook and usually do so when not too lazy after work. It'll actually be nice to be able to cook for just me for a change and try out some recipes I've been wanting to. The idea that it will pass time and relieve stress is an excellent one. Appreciate everything and I'm going to talk to him about it tonight that way we have a solid three weeks to discuss and plan before he leaves. :)

bigmike and K0ta like this.
  9. K0ta

No problem! If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me. :) Glad it helped.

Mason likes this.
  10. K0ta

I went to the doctor yesterday, just routine medical stuff trying to establish a primary care physician because I finally have a stable insurance plan for the first time in 2 years. Gave her my medical history, including a brief overview of my uh...very extensive psych history, to say the least.

Left the office in perfect health with a psych referral. :facepalm2:Maybe I can finally get an Ativan prescription again.

rebecca likes this.
  11. JM95

Trusted

Just started on medication for anxiety. Finally plucked up the courage to see a doctor last week after putting it off for a long time. Hope it can help because I'm in a constant state of hopelessness right now. Barely feel able to leave the house most days. Mood ranges from complete numbness to overwhelming frustration.

Thinking of taking a step away from the internet for a week or two to see if that helps in any way.

rebecca likes this.
  12. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Today is really depressing and I'm not sure why. It's Friday. I should be happy, but I hate myself.

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Sometimes I think about my life like... This is it? Maybe that mindset going around when I was a kid about how we're all special and unique made me feel entitled to a more interesting and better life. I find it difficult to process that this is my life. This is who I am. This is what I look like. I sit around and spend all my time watching and listening to the art of others while being too scared or unmotivated to actually work to be talented at anything myself. Then I hear myself whining about these bs mundane problems like not cleaning my apartment or not having motivation to take out the trash and when people try to give suggestions to make these ridiculous problems manageable I whine and make excuses why I can't do it. And then I repeat the next day. Forever, until I die someday I guess.

Finney likes this.
  14. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

I ran out of lexapro Friday and my head is feeling weird from the withdrawal symptoms. Not quite brain zap tier yet, but I hope I can get a refill today

Borat and bigmike like this.
  15. K0ta

Don't delay the refill. Not that you seem to be but one of the worst things you can do for your mental health is lack consistency with your meds!

bigmike and SlappinCups like this.
  16. SlappinCups

Yep, I left a message for my physician this morning, so I'm hoping to hear back soon. Thanks though, it really is an important message to stress

Borat, bigmike and K0ta like this.
  17. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

the dreaded brain zap. one of the most uncomfortable sensations ever!

mad and SlappinCups like this.
  18. K0ta

I am sick of watching this damn latuda commercial that keeps coming on Hulu, it's like "Latuda is the number one brand for treating bipolar depression, a different type of depression."

This characterization just has me like what? It should be illegal to market drugs.

(I was on latuda for a hot minute and it was horrible just saying)

SlappinCups likes this.
  19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

20. JM95

Trusted

5 Tips for Dealing With Alcoholism

1. Buy a special fridge just to stock up on booze...

jkauf likes this.
  21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Things were going really good for a while, but now I’m losing it. The smallest shit has been triggering me.

22. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Today is not the day.

Joe4th and SlappinCups like this.
  23. SlappinCups

I feel ya Ken

Joe4th and Ken like this.
  24. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I wish I was posting in the drunk thread right now tbh

Borat and Joe4th like this.
  25. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

I think I just had a panic attack? Idek if you can get them for absolutely no reason. I was just standing in line at Wendy's and out of absolutely nowhere my heart started racing really fast, I felt like there was a lump in my throat that made it hard to breath and my hand got all tingly. Nothing hurt but I left and walked home and it was still racing for like fifteen minutes. It stopped now but that was unsettling.