Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 93

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

If Liverpool get Werner it's over, the pace in that team would be almost unstoppable.

2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Klopp don’t stop

Richter915 likes this.
  3. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

KDB and David Silva are gaining fitness. Same and Marez didn’t play any WC minutes. Most of the other “regulars” have also taken some minutes off this last month.

Oh and Pep wants to get all 4 until he absolutely can’t.

4. And they can play the youth team in second leg lol

5. GBlades

Trusted

I'm surprised Werner hasn't moved already. He's such a strong, fast player with a fuckload of potential.

6. @orangehorizon what do you know about Florian Grillitsch from Hoffenheim? There’s some actual credible people saying Spurs are interested in him.

The same people also mentioned Denis Zakaria. But I’m guessing he’d be more expensive.

7. cryates Jan 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2019)
    cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I just finished the (long) Manchester City chapter, and well, it's exactly what I expected in most ways, but really gives a ton of detail on just how horrible of a state that club was in.

On a similar note, this is easily one of, if not the best non-fiction book I've ever read and I'm only halfway through.

8. KrisArronNev

Trusted

Batshuayi to Everton. Welp. The flat track bully we've needed since Lukaku left, I guess.

9. What happened with him this season? Valencia cut his loan short.

10. KrisArronNev

Trusted

Yeah, they did. Marcelinho wasn't happy with him at all.

12. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

Get Emery the fuck out of my club. Özil not even on the fucking bench, tired of this crap

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

every single time I have to pause and wonder wtf Emery has to do with soccer

Big Un and awakeohsleeper like this.
  14. jbaseball44 Jan 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 12, 2019)
    jbaseball44

west ham are so open too, Özil would thrive in this kinda game

edit - EMERYOUT

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Can always count on Arsenal

16. jbaseball44

hate Emery so much

17. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Forgive me if something has gone over my head, but are these comments like totally serious? If so, what has led to that feeling?

From the outside, I thought Arsenal were looking about how I thought they'd be in the first post- Wenger season, but I've not watched much of them specifically, just results wise.

PandaBear! likes this.
  18. jbaseball44 Jan 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 12, 2019)
    jbaseball44

results during the unbeaten run of 20 or so odd games were totally illusory, we beat our XG in almost every game during that run and bar a couple of outlier performances got incredibly lucky. Emery doesn't have a clear style of play, we defend worse then we did under Wenger, we attack far worse, all of our combination play is gone, all our attacking play is based around an overload or an overlapping fullback. he is far too conservative, he plays 3 CB's, 2 Wingbacks, 2 DM's. how do you expect to progress the ball to your 2 strikers? he doesn't player his best midfielders in Özil and Ramsey, he plays 3 DM's (or CM's) at home in the league against weak sides. Not the kind of football I want to see at Arsenal, don't mind losing, as long as we try to play progressively. Yes, the club needs investment, but we spend 70mil this summer on a GK/CB/DM and defend even worse, plus out attack has regressed.

edit - for full disclosure I never wanted him appointed in the first place

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  19. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Interesting. Is this a common opinion amongst Arsenal fans? I haven't seen it too much online and don't know any Arsenal fans personally. Do you think he has the potential to turn it around with a bit more time?

I think it's very hard to implement a style of play with the amount of injuries and general quality of the squad that Arsenal have. Leno has great potential, but every other player that can play in the back 5 wouldn't get into any of the other top 5's teams. Then with the injuries on top, I can kind of see why he may be playing too defensively. It's maybe similar to what Van Gaal did at United. Our defense was so poor on paper that he had no other choice but to go Uber defensive and try to dominate possession just to survive.

It also sounds similar to Mou at United. No plan b. Relying on luck. Terrible style of play. Barely scraping past cannon fodder at the bottom of the table. For a team like Arsenal that prides itself on being attractive to watch, I can see why you'd feel like that.

20. jbaseball44

Based on his history, I think this is how he wants to play so in my eyes it won't improve. With that being said, if we had wide players/wingers in the squad it would help out a lot in terms if width, which is important to how Emery wants to play. I understand that our back 5 is easily the worst of the top 6 but playing defensively/extra defender and 2 DM's doesn't help that aspect and it actually further hurts and exposes the defense because we cant posses the ball/control the game with a lineup like that and thus are further exposed. Emery isn't really trying to play a possession based system currently despite what he might say in the press.

I would say Arsenal fans are fairly split (something new, I know). there is a fairly strong (and growing) continent that thinks like I do, especially with the Özil situation and our lackluster offensive style of play. However, there is also a fairly strong contingent willing to give him time to see if he wins Europa this year or even further next season if he makes top 4. Like I said, I never wanted him in the first place so I'm probably bias against him. I'd also probably fall under the Özil apologist category so what he's doing with Mesut really irks me. He's bad with man management (shown by his time at PSG) and he doesn't play a system/style of football I particularly like.

edit - this is a really good article on our lack of creativity under Emery

21. I’m totally expecting a loss against United. The team has looked so drained lately and we aren’t getting anyone back from injury for the game. Combine that with United carrying a lot of momentum and it could be bad.

Joe4th likes this.
  22. JM95

Trusted

United are still poor defensively though. You'll get chances.

Bobby likes this.
  23. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Kinda weird to not like Emery’s tactics when he won a three peat of Europa with these tactics while Arsenal won...an Fa Cup?

24. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

In fairness, Arsenal won the FA cup 3 times in four years and tended to get far enough in the CL that they didn't even get in the Europa.

jbaseball44 likes this.
  25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I mean you can not like title winning tactics. Just look at how successful Mourinho was.

orangehorizon, MrCon and jbaseball44 like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.