Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 73

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. orangehorizon

Trusted

These kind of balls that just fall down like a stone right before the goal line are the most difficult balls to clear. And in that case it was even more ridiculous in that the ball bounced twice off the crossbar.

2. JM95

Trusted

He pushed it back on to the bar. Awful keeping

bobby_runs likes this.
  3. orangehorizon

Trusted

Pickford barely touches the ball...

4. orangehorizon

Trusted

That's pathetic. Klopp reacts like any football fan would have in that situation. Nothing wrong with showing a little passion. PL could actually use a little more passion...

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. JM95

Trusted

He literally pushes it back up into the air, where it drops back on to the bar.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Feel like literally any other goalie would’ve just tipped it back out for a corner. How could it not be his fault?

bobby_runs, JM95 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  7. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

If that were me keeping goal for Everton, I would have simply jumped higher and caught the ball, thus preventing the bizarre goal and securing a point for my team. That's just me though (unlucky to Pickford btw).

8. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

9. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Good lord what a pass! - who was that?

10. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

PandaBear! likes this.
  11. Just watched the NLD. Poch really screwed up starting Foyth over Toby.

Winning 2 out of the 3 we had this week is still pretty good though. Very tough stretch.

12. orangehorizon

Trusted

Yes, that's what he should have done in the end. But as I said earlier, these kind of balls are the most difficult to deal with for a keeper. It's really difficult to calculate where the ball will come down. That's why pretty much all keepers look kinda bad in such situations.

And this is also where I kinda lose faith in this forum. Anyone who has followed football long enough will have witnessed enough similar (although not THAT bizarre) situations where the keeper usually looks kinda lost. This is not on the keeper. He probably could have done better but it was not his fault at all. And his touching of the ball (if at all) did not change the direction the ball eventually took. That was the main criticism that Pickford got and that's just BS.

13. orangehorizon

Trusted

You should probably apply for the England No. 1 then. If you would have SIMPLY jumped higher then you obviously would have prevented that goal. It's like saying the striker should have SIMPLY shot harder so the goalie would have no chance to reach the ball. Football is apparently very SIMPLE in the end. Team A just should have done much better then they did against Team B...

PandaBear! likes this.
  14. JM95

Trusted

You've obviously only watched it once because that's not what happened at all. He pushes it up in the air back onto the bar. The goal only happens because he does that. If he leaves it, the ball goes over. If he wants to make sure, he pushes it over for the corner.

He loses concentration and probably gets into a muddle over whether to try and catch it. But it's definitely a mistake and it's definitely on him.

15. I think I’m finally going to avoid social media after a Spurs loss. People are insane. A loss and they become irrational cry babies who think they have all the answers. It’s awful.

We lost away to a good team. It’s not the end of the world.

16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

C'mon man, that was a bit! A joke!

17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

18. KrisArronNev Dec 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 2, 2018)
    KrisArronNev

Trusted

Mistake aside, Pickford was our 2nd best player on the pitch after Gomes based on overall contributions. So I'd like to know where that places him overall from players of both teams.

Also, that's our best away derby performance in quite awhile. We didn't look feared, like the deer in headlights we usually look like. The reason for that being down to Liverpool not being fearful at all.

Everton as a project is only 4 months old.

19. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Yeah Pickford didn’t need to get cute there. Should have punched the ball away. But I could Understand the decision on preventing a late corner kick.

20. orangehorizon

Trusted

I actually have watched it several times from multiple angles once I read the reactions to it (not only here). Still I stand by my statement.

21. orangehorizon

Trusted

Try being a Bayern fan and the team performing sub-par in multiple games in a row. All of a sudden everything that was great is now bad and everyone knew it long time before. The players are suddenly way too old, the squad is too thin and the board is incompetent and every decision is questioned.

I think there's no middle ground in football anymore. It's either great or disastrous, there's no in between.

Swoos likes this.
  22. Yeah I agree with all of that. We just played Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal over an 8 day span. That’s a tough stretch for any team in Europe. Especially considering we have multiple injuries. It really sucks losing like that to Arsenal but winning 2 out of 3 there is a good result imo.

But apparently most fans think the world is ending.

23. orangehorizon

Trusted

Yeah I am following the PL. And I'm not gonna lie, if I wasn't an Everton fan I'd probably root for Tottenham. I really like the team and the direction they are taking. I also like that they don't splash out big cash to attract some superstars. You just need to look at the development across the last 5 years or so to see the progression. That's exactly how it should be in football. Steadily improving to eventually being a candidate to win the league.

PandaBear!, awakeohsleeper and Swoos like this.
  24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I feel like the attitude of fans is self-perpetuating due to how impatient football culture has become. The owners wanted instant success because they began pumping in millions, which has led to nearly 20 years with very few examples of manager loyalty and constant sackings, which in turn has fed into increasing fan demands for instant success (and the cycle continues). Social media has only heightened that fan-led demand for success and the 'end of the world' vibes if you lose two games in a row.

I can be drawn in and guilty of this. It's good to take a step back, breathe and find some perspective.

orangehorizon likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.