Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 589

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i mean, yeah? have you considered the world cup?

PandaBear! likes this.
  2. Ruethless

King of Europe

Personally, I love watching the group C and D nations league matches, some of the matches end up being fun.

3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

i’m talking more about outside of the tournaments. Do we need ANY international friendlies during this period, the main theme of this break has been injuries and Covid outbreaks. It’s just unnecessary.

I understand the qualifiers happening, and some of the nations league matches I get, but why are there friendlies or dead runners? It’s a needless risk imo.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I hate all international football. I get excitec for the world cup, but like I don't think I'd give too much of a shit if one never happened again. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched an Ireland match. I didn't even know this was an international break until I saw we had two players in COVID outbreaks. There is absolutely no fucking need for international football during a pandemic like this. Honestly, there's no need for any football at the moment, but that's another conversation.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I think there may be a link there...

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't even like watch good teams play to be honest. The only times I do like it is when underdogs do well, like Iceland a few years ago.

But yeah going to see every Ireland game for a few years burned me out so much. Fucking shite.

7. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think a lot of my hate of internationals is due to the lack of chemistry and general crap style of play from most teams. I'd definitely be interested in an experiment involving less international breaks, but the ones that they do have are longer with larger squads. Maybe a 4 or 6 week international break over January or something. Or maybe introduce training camps at some point where no games are played and they can focus purely on training.

The extra time working as a unit and coaches actually being able to implement tactical systems and improvements, I think would really help increase the quality when games are played.

8. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is how I would like to see it go too.

RobbieBerns and AFoolsGlory like this.
  9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

New Ornstein & Chapman podcast from The Athletic is a deep dive into the Wrexham takeover and it’s a really great listen.

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

That sounds way better. Even during the tounaments, the group stages are usually awful and there's no chemistry, but by the end of the tournaments you can see teams start to gel better and become better teams.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

is that a real thing? I saw some tweets and just thought it was viral marketing.

12. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Exactly. It's something that I think Rugby does quite well. I feel like I see Eddie Jones taking the England team on training camps fairly regularly. Obviously there's key differences like central contracts and things which make it easier to organise, which football can't replicate as much, but it's something I'd like to see experimented with.

Ruethless and Nick like this.
  13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

No it’s totally real. Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney have purchased Wrexham.

The podcast is a great listen as to how they are going about it. They are seemingly planning on doing many great things to help the local community, for instance Rob donated the entire funds of a GoFundMe to help a disabled fan make his house suitable for his condition.

They seem to have done their homework too (third oldest club on the world, historic ground, in a great catchment area) and are already seemingly in touch with the local councils and supporters groups already.

Joe4th likes this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

oh damn that's fucking awesome. fair play and I hope it goes well.

15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

The Wrexham stuff is absolutely wild, but I'm so happy that it happened and that they're doing a ton already. I really really hope it works out.

16. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

Pep resigns until 2023. I like it and don't like it at the same time. That said lets see how this season plays out.

17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly, I think they should have made the change. Poch or Nagelsmann would have been my personal picks.

18. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

Nagelsmann would have been my pick personally.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I'd go Poch just to piss off United fans lol.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

It always takes me a minute to understand "resigns" considering that has a completely different meaning than re-sign.

JM95, gonz (Alex) and RobbieBerns like this.
  21. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Yeah I was very confused when I read that at first haha

I'm genuinely surprised that he's coming back for 3 more years

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I was like, "what's the point in resigning now if you're going to stay 3 more years"

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I've come to terms with him not managing us and us sticking with Ole.

I actually haven't

24. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Ceballos on a one man mission to fight every single member of our squad this season lol

Swoos likes this.

25. why is everyone fighting lol

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.