Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 58

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

bobby_runs likes this.
  2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

It's nice to see him out there and banging some goals in. Been a few veterans who have gone over in recent years and looked completely crap.

awakeohsleeper and AFoolsGlory like this.
  3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I genuinely thought it was still the international break. Apparently it's not and we're losing. I preferred living in ignorance.

4. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think, possibly, I'm coming to the opinion that Pogba isn't worth it. That, despite being our best outfield player technically, he's not what we need at the moment. He doesn't suit the system and doesn't offer anything defensively. Complete liability out of possession.

If Barca do want him and offer the money, let him go.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Eh I think under a different manager he'd be amazing. Like a number of players in our squad.

Essentially the options are the manager or the players...

6. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I get what you mean, and I agree to an extent. I think though, that he needs world class defensive midfielders around him, or its like playing with 10 men regardless of manager. I mean, if we think about when has has looked good - Juve with Vidal and Pirlo, France with Kante. If we need to sign one, maybe two, players to make up for his liabilities, maybe it's not worth it.

I get that we have huge problems, and the majority are the manager, but Mou can't be held accountable for a player just abandoning defensive duty, especially when you're maybe only playing with two in midfield or defending set pieces.m

Edit: I'm not usually one for hard Brexit "put some facking effort in" criticism, like Ozil gets at Arsenal, but it does seem to be holding us back somewhat.

orangehorizon likes this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

When Matic first went to United Pogba was magic

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah I don't disagree, Pogba is a fanny at times and doesn't want to defend. If it were in any way possible to get him to put a shift in it would be great.

We are rock and a hard place at the moment because our midfield is so wildly unbalanced. If we could get someone sitting back but great on the ball picking out quick passes but being able to shield the defence, a midfielder to bomb up and down the pitch all day and Pogba with better defensive nous we would have a good midfield.

Matić of last Autumn, Pogba at his best and someone like Fred/Herrera might work.

But it's just not working. It seems no matter who José puts on the pitch it doesn't work. Even Rashford who was great for England against Spain doesn't work in our team. It's a struggle to pick out a single player this season that has worked so far. I'm at a loss at how we could even try to fix it. Is it the manager? Is it the players? Is it the atmosphere? No one at the club seems to enjoy playing football. It's honestly terrifying as a fan. If they don't enjoy going out at the weekend, how are we supposed to enjoy watching it.

orangehorizon and awakeohsleeper like this.
  9. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah absolutely bang on to be honest. We are crying out for a midfielder in the vein of Carrick, Xabi Alonso, Jorginho. Someone who can actually play a pass. I think Mou has realised that and did seem to be trying to mould Andreas into that type of player, but he seems to have completely given up on giving him any sort of minutes. Having a player that can play passes and recycle possession would fix a lot of the issues we have starting attacks. Everyone wants a ball playing defender, but if you could sort the defence out to just defend, and then find someone that can recycle possession in the midfield, it would help the system a lot .

I think the players seem intimidated by the pressure that is on at the moment. They're playing within themselves, nobody has any sort of freedom to play their game at the moment. I think a lot of that comes from the manager, similar to the sorts of issues LVG brought to the team, but it's a huge problem, and I can't see any way of us overcoming it in the middle of a season.

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Tony Marshall's alright tho

AFoolsGlory and williek311 like this.
  11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Alonso lying on the ground while we score is top top banter. What a wanker.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Lopetegui getting sacked this evening. What a hilarious tenure.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Great goal Tony!

14. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Not saying it’s wrong but six minutes christ

15. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

We absolutely got away with 3 straight minutes of bloody murder time wasting so I can’t be mad about 6 minutes

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Well that was the most obvious thing in the world.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Chelsea bench is embarrassing but all the attention will be on Jose.

18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

What did that guy do that made Mourinho so mad

19. williek311

Well a disappointing finish.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Ran across from the Chelsea bench To Uniteds and said something to his face I think.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Replay shows a guy from the Chelsea bench pumping his fist/ throwing his palm right in the face of Mou. He then ran back past and commentators are thinking he must have said something.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. williek311

Jose holding up three fingers to the fans.:crylaugh:

23. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

mourinho is such a 'hold me back' guy. he wouldn't have fought that guy. 'dude youre SO fuckin lucky my friends are holding me back' - jose mourinho

24. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Either way Mou shouldn’t react like that

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Chelsea staff member shouldn't have done it either. It's a nothing incident anyway.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.