Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 404

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

FFP is dead.

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

CAS has said that what City did, happened. There is evidence of it. They're aware it happened. But it happened over 5 years ago. It's mental.

3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

But presumably we were withing the 5 year limitation when UEFA launched their investigation last year and handed down the initial sentence? Or is that the issue, that UEFA investigated something that they already were unable to prosecute, so to speak?

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think the second part. There's no smoking gun. Etihad very obviously pay City way more than they should, to play nice with the Shiekh. Everyone knows that. But the Shiekh is not officially involved in them as a company and he wouldn't have to ask them to pay over the odds, they just will because it's in their own interest. How do you prosecute something like that?

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I fully expected a reduction, but not a complete reversal.

6. I’d like to request that Lee Dixon never call a Spurs game again. His bias is too strong lol

7. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

My expectation was the fine would be increased a ton with no ban or a reduced ban.

8. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Man City.

orangehorizon, Joe4th and RobbieBerns like this.
  9. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah he's pretty bad for this.

I'd argue the same with Danny Murphy, who is RIDICULOUS when Arsenal play. We can be 3-0 up and he'll be having a go. Jenas used to be bad for it too but he's gotten better and I really enjoy his punditry on games he doesn't have a bias on.

Seems strange that pundits can't leave that behind but I guess it's easier said than done.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

You love to see it. Also the leaked emails were included in the CAS appeal. And this STILL got overturned

EDIT: FFP in its current form of punishment is stupid. There is a point for it existing (smaller clubs not going bankrupt left and right) but it would only allow old money clubs to stay in power.

11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Jeans is very good imo. Obviously on neutral games. But I was surprised at how good he is.

12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

My ideal punditry team is Gary Lineker presenting, with Gary Neville and some combination of two of Ian Wright, Micah Richards and Jermaine Jenas.

Gary and Jermaine are better at the in depth analysis, and Micah and Ian are the most entertaining by a long way.

Stick Roy Keane in once a month so he can rage at any awful displays.

13. dandownunder

Brilliant player.
    I'd put money on him and Kalvin Phillips being in the England squad for the euros next year.

PandaBear! likes this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

RobbieBerns likes this.
  15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

fuck City forever

what an absolute joke

16. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Nah get Micah Richards away from punditry. All he does is wank on about City and try way too hard to "banter" Gary Lineker, and it's just always not funny and way out of place.

It's annoying that Lee Dixon has been shifted to co-commentary. He used to be pretty good in the studio on Match of the Day, from memory. Glenn Hoddle isn't atrocious sometimes, you can tell he knows about the game but sometimes comes across as a bit of a prat.

I wish more people like Mourinho would do punditry though. Managers that are without work or between jobs, people with good tactical minds.

17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Today has me feeling really bad about the future of football.

If these sportwashing oil-stained teams can just break the rules and then get away with it, this is going to happen more and more, and clubs just won't care.

Watch PSG, City and potentially a Saudi-owned Newcastle just spend ridiculous money over the next few years. It will be obscene.

I'm falling further out of love with the game to be honest.

18. bobby_runs

We can see when you only mention PSG and CFG for pumping money into teams. You're also say something about yourself

19. SamLevi11 Jul 13, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 13, 2020)
    SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I fully blame all other owners doing this too, and I understand what your implication is, but no one is doing it as overtly as those two in particular. Those are the two that have threatened to take UEFA to civil courts due to being punished for FFP breaches. PSG have even admitted intentionally inflating prices to drive the market to a point where only themselves and a few other clubs could afford top players.

If some similarly awful person from Europe does it, I'll call them out too. But they aren't as far as I am aware (I'm happy to be given examples, I may simply not be aware of it).

20. bobby_runs

upload_2020-7-13_9-12-3.jpeg

21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

And he made his money from.... Oil.

And actually he has stopped pumping money into Chelsea at such an alarming rate, which is why I didn't mention him when it comes to the coming seasons. Maybe he will again, I don't know. He definitely started this trend and is the reason it has gotten this bad though.

22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

As an aside, when I was in the US last year, I noticed that the Union stadium is in a different town, as opposed to being in Philly itself. Is this common in the MLS?

23. unfortunately

i think there’s probably around five that are in the next town or two over

columbus’ has always been in columbus, but it was kind of isolated in a not great location. very excited for the new downtown stadium they’re currently building if this dumb fucking country ever gets to do things like that again

24. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Chicago Fire played in Bridgeview forever, which tbh is like right outside city limits. Now they’re downtown at Soldier Field

25. bobby_runs

I'm just gonna leave this here as i don't have the energy to go back and forth when City will be guilty in the court of public opinion.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.