Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 349

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Manutd.com was streaming it at 7pm today actually.

2. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think that's what for me craving it, I just have seen some tweet or something.

Nick likes this.
  3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Watching this game has got me thinking about how many of the United players I'd take in our modern day team. With all the increases in tech and recovery and everything, and with the fluidity of modern football, who I'd take today.

I'm pretty sure I'd still take almost every player. Beckham looks a lovely little midfielder, he'd be perfect for us now. Giggs too. Irwin would beat out Shaw, and you'd take Schmeichel over current form De Gea.

4. JM95

Trusted

I think you'll find it was still 1-0 when the 90th minute ticked over.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

The match against Juve is even more impressive. What a team that was.

6. JM95

Trusted

Which current United players would get in that team? Especially if you account for Keane and Scholes being suspended for that match. A partner for Jaap Stam plus maybe one attacking player?

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Starting line up? Probably none. But I’d guarantee SAF would have loved to manage Rashford and McTominay, they would have been in the squad.

McT for Greening. Possibly Rashford for Blomqvist?

JM95 likes this.
  8. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Rashford was my thinking too, but in a 4-4-2 I don't think he'd make it. McT is a manager's dream though, you're right. Would've fought for every square inch of turf on that pitch, I'm sure.

JM95 likes this.
  9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah when I think it, would Rashford fit in? I was thinking on the left of that midfield, but every one of those players in the midfield was tirelessly selfless. Even Giggs. Rashford has a bit more selfishness in him, which SAF would have loved, but probably not playing in a 4 man midfield with Giggs on the other side. Potentially a bench option for late in the game.

I don’t think Maguire would get in over Johnsen. Maybe over Brown on the bench though.

it’s an interesting question. Who from today’s Bayern side would make their 99 team?

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Based just on that game, I think Maguire nights get in over Johnsen, as he didn't have his best game that night.

Otherwise, Blomqvist is the one most in danger, I just don't think we have anyone at the minute who could do what he did for the team. Possibly Bruno if you're okay with his being out of position.

Nick likes this.
  11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

That's fair, but it's coming at it with the benefit of hindsight. Over the season, I think Johnsen deserved to start that match. Yeah Blomqvist is easily the weakest link in that lineup, yet I don't see anyone slotting in effectively for the first 70 minutes.

12. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

There probably will be an element of that, but it's also going to upset a lot of people that the 2019-2020 season just vanished. I think it's quite likely that any fresh start could be marred by things carrying on into the Autumn.

I mean, I don't actually think they'll push next season back anyway, because it just gets way too complicated with the European competitions too.

JM95 likes this.
  13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Considering Wave Two is actually a thing they’re projecting, it may even be too hopeful to consider a 20-21 season even happening.

orangehorizon and JM95 like this.
  14. orangehorizon

Trusted

I'd definitly take Alaba for Tarnat and Lewy for Jancker. And then either Müller or Gnabry for Zickler. Maybe Kimmich instead of Babbel.

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Liverpool backing down regarding furloughing staff really shows that fans CAN have power.

Interested to see how this whole pandemic shakes up football. Hard to see people paying high ticket prices or massive sky subscriptions following this.

An interesting idea on a podcast I heard earlier. These clubs all want to take these wage grants meant for businesses, so maybe they should be made from now on to financially act as businesses. Every penny accounted for, in and out.

Nick likes this.
  17. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think it probably comes down less to fan power than it does to advertisers and sponsors threatening to pull out. At the end of the day, money talks. The club clearly thought they'd end up losing more in money and credibility if they took the grants than if they just paid the reported £1.5 million of wages themselves.

18. Platy

Sam

Season 2 of Sunderland til I Die was good, but I think I preferred the first season as that was funnier overall.

Joe4th likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Charlie Methven was such an asshole the whole show. Yeesh.

I can't believe they're going to be sold again. It's wild.

MrCon and Platy like this.
  20. Platy

Sam

Agreed on Charlie. Also Stuart Donald just reminded me of David Brent, even the way he spoke.

Joe4th likes this.
  21. MrCon

It felt a bit like what happened with Drive to Survive; everyone was too aware of the cameras. Also, I think the players and manager were quite against it coming back. There were far fewer players involved this time, which was a big part of the first series.

That and all the failure...

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I thought Drive to Survive season 2 was pretty good.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  23. MrCon

Oh, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it still, but I felt there was noticeable shift.

Nick likes this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

True for everyone except Haas who somehow we’re more mental. I think the problem was Ricciardo leaving Red Bull gave them a brilliant storyline that they could weave through multiple episodes. There wasn’t that for season 2.

MrCon likes this.
  25. MrCon

Agreed. They really tried to create a rivalry between Ricciardo and Sainz, but neither were interested. There were some standalone episodes which were incredible. Mercedes going completely to shit in Germany was fascinating, for instance.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.