Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 289

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

usually is Friday after the UEL matches

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

The potential draws for Tottenham have me not very optimistic for a run lol

3. orangehorizon

Trusted

It's on Monday 11:00 GMT

Swoos likes this.
  4. Poch to Dortmund rumors floating around and that sounds awesome.

5. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Not good. Obviously with a team like Atalanta getting through there is still a chance for smaller teams to make progress in this competition, but year after year it's just the "usual suspects" from the last 16 onwards.

orangehorizon and SamLevi11 like this.
  6. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

It's almost like the best teams win matches. >-p

bobby_runs likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yes, that may be the case but it's depressing that teams like RB Salzburg, Olympiakos, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, etc, are all missing out.

Honestly I don't even watch much CL football now Arsenal aren't in it, because for the most part it's the same teams playing each other and it got boring about 5 years ago. The only interest I have is in the teams who make unexpected runs like Monaco or Ajax.

PandaBear! likes this.
  8. Garrett

Valencia knocking out Ajax is pretty shocking, considering the form of both the last few years.

9. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

What if I told you the original purpose of the tournament was to only have the CHAMPION of each league in the competition?

MrCon likes this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I just think there HAS to be an achievable middle ground between endless repeats of the same 8 fixtures, and having to watch City pummel Hapoel Nicosia or Slovan Bratislava 12-0 though.

I have no idea how you fix it unfortunately, but it's pretty boring how it currently is.

PandaBear!, RobbieBerns and Nick like this.
  11. JM95

Trusted

It's money and UEFA tipping the scales in favour of the big clubs who bring in more money and so earn more money, thereby extending the gap. It won't improve without a pretty drastic change and that isn't happening anytime soon unfortunately.

12. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I would say I remember that fondly and it was a good format, but it was also good when the top two teams from the big leagues came in in the late 90's or whenever. No 3rd or 4th placed team from a nation has any business in the champions league - perhaps in the season when the Qatar World Cup is played, they could have a reduction in CL participants or a knockout-only tournament as a trial or whatever, seeing as that season will probably be all fucked up anyway.

13. Really hoping we draw Valencia. But I’d be happy with Leipzig too. I’m a big fan of their lineup. Would be a fun matchup.

14. Nick Dec 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 14, 2019)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

4000th game in a row with a Manchester United youth product in the squad tomorrow :-)

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Seems word of Haaland to United and Sancho... back to City are ramping up.

16. Espn news is currently showing Roma v Real U-14 game lol why

17. Garrett

My word

18. orangehorizon

Trusted

Coutinho hattrick!

19. I don’t understand why it takes 5 mins to set up for a free kick

20. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Chelsea shite. Lost 4 out of the last 5 league games, will be only 2 points ahead of United should they win their game. SHITE!

orangehorizon likes this.
  21. T.J.

music and baseball.

what a shot

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

So what exactly is the point of VAR? Fucking hell

23. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Souness with some excellent mental gymnastics to state that it was a clear and obvious foul so the goal should have been disallowed, but also that it's all De Geas fault even though he was fouled.

Nick likes this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Obviously De Gea should have gone all Matrix on it and bent backwards to avoid Calvert Lewis hitting him in the face with his forearm.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Hilarious that Lindelof gives away a free kick and gets a yellow card for that, yet their goal wasn’t a foul.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.