Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 179

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Think he’s paying his €120million release clause himself - swear we’ve had this discussion before because Ander Herrera paid his to join United, but is that how release clauses work? The player pays it and then the buying club pays them the money back? Or I’d that just in Spain? I’m dumb as hell when it comes to financial matters...

2. The only way it’d work is if Suarez and Griezmann played up top with Messi in an AM role. But that doesn’t really sound like Barca’s style.

3. Didn’t Neymar do something similar?

PandaBear! likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

In Spain the player has to iirc

jmitch0906 likes this.
  5. Garrett

Gonna do a @Swoos style breakdown of Barcelona

Incoming: De Jong (confirmed), de Ligt (suspected), Griezmann (suspected)

Out on loan probably leaving: Denis Suarez (probably not to Arsenal, they don’t use him—hope he finds a decent fit, he’s fun when he’s in form), Andre Gomes (Everton or Tottenham seems to be the consensus).

Currently loaned to us with an option to buy: Murillo (DB, probably won’t buy for 25m); Boateng (F, probably won’t buy for 8m)

Squad:

GK: ter Stegen, Cillessen, Masip
    LB: Jordi Alba
    DB: Pique, Lenglet, Todibo, Umtiti, Vermaelen
    RB: Sergi Roberto, Nelson Semedo
    MF: Busquets, Rakitic, Arthur, Vidal, Rafinha, Alena
    F: Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Malcom, Coutinho

I guess I like de Ligt in theory, but he’d make an arguable two central defender surplus in an already really stout group. Todibo was just bought, but they sold a just bought defender last summer as well so could be interesting what they do here.

Lord knows we didn’t need another silky midfielder, but I’m a sucker for it so I’m excited for De Jong.

Griezmann is instantly a step up on Malcom and Coutinho, but I like Malcom’s upside so I hope he stays. I like Dembele, but he can’t stay healthy. Could be a sell to help fund some purchases.

We really need a solid LB option for behind Jordi Alba. Semedo and Vermaelen have done stints there...but you can’t replace what Alba has with Messi with either of them.

If I’m Vermaelen and Rafinha, I’m looking for another club. Coutinho will probably be the big name fall for the Liverpool
    Failure and will be sold this summer. Rakitic wants to stay, and is integral to how we play, but they won’t up his contract so wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave. We can’t afford to lose both Vidal and Rakitic this summer—and I want both to stay as the steel alongside Busquets—but both could feasibly go, now that I’ve thought about it.

Alena is the next big La Masia kid, so I could see a loan for him, but he gets decent minutes in that old Xavi attacking-ish role.

awakeohsleeper and PandaBear! like this.
  6. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think it's in Spanish law that any worker is able to buy themselves out of an employment contract. Which is why all football contracts have a mandatory release clause in them in Spain. The player has to be to one to buy out the contract, the buying club will just give the money to the player to enable them to do so.

That's how it was explained to me previously anyway.

7. Garrett

Apparently City, Bayern, and Barca have all informed Atleti they plan to meet Rodri’s release clause as well so there’s another to watch

8. Has Riqui Puig made any noise? Apparently Poch loves him and has been trying to buy him but Barca won’t do it.

9. Garrett

He’s made one or two first team appearances this season. Seems like he’s the next hype after Alena alongside Miranda. Those two get called up the most from Barca B

10. Also, I like reading squad breakdowns like that. Would be cool to see others here do something similar. Twitter is mostly BS and most other forums are hostile I just avoid it. I like hearing from everyone here.

11. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

I can do a United breakdown like that but I’m not sure if I trust myself to do one that isn’t just suggesting scorched earth rebuild.

12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just realised I won the Chorus.fm fantasy league! Apologies to BATE Boisov who I believe was top throughout and I somehow pipped on the final day with the exact point swing needed to end up one point ahead. I can’t quite believe it. But of course only the third most impressive comeback of the week behind Liverpool and Tottenham...

Wish I’d chosen a better name this season now... (I support Forest, my wife’s a florist... awks).

13. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

What was your overall points total, if you don’t mind me asking?

14. jmitch0906

Quorn

This might have been posted in here earlier this week but I just saw the article today

UEFA Super Leauge

15. Are they really going to ruin something that works so perfect?

16. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I hope not. It’s great in its current form.

17. If Barca sell Suarez I wonder where he’ll go. Chelsea is the only PL big 6 that needs a new striker but they’re on transfer ban. I don’t see Bayern needing him. The team that probably makes the most sense is Real haha

Richter915 likes this.
  18. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Just wanna say how happy I am that Leeds aren't going up this year. Bielsa would have been good to see in the Premier League, but nothing is funnier than Leeds bottling a chance to go up.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  19. Would be cool to see Derby make it

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

As a Forest fan I’ve become strangely conflicted about Derby as I respect Frank Lampard so much.

PandaBear! likes this.
  21. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I don't normally like to be bitter about other teams, but I'm so pleased that Leeds aren't coming up.

22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

¿¿¿???

PandaBear! likes this.
  23. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Is that not potentially just a bit of a non-story? Isn't Bin Laden's family fairly large and fairly well acquainted with the upper echelons in Saudi Arabia, is it not?

24. Apparently Loftis-Cheek tore his Achilles. That’s awful for him. Very long recovery.

Chelsea is losing Hazard, RLC is out, and no new transfers coming in.

25. Sessegnon at LB, Foyth at RB. I’d be cool with it.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.