Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 139

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

there's a really good spending graphic floating around on twitter that shows spending from 91/92 on. interesting which clubs show up on the graph, which don't, who manages those clubs, etc.

falafelmywaffle and Nick like this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Maguire sent off after 4 minutes

3. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

I’ve been following football in England for close to 15 years, and I can’t ever remember a Saturday night 8 PM FA Cup game. With daylight savings last week, that’s a 4 PM kick off over here, definitely the latest a game has ever started for me.

Nick likes this.
  4. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The main things I took from that:

Real Madrid have been spending a ridiculous amount of money for a long time.

Spurs were on there a hell of a lot considering they’ve not won a whole deal during that time period.

Blackburn made a brief appearance yay, and we only spent more than utd 95/96 after we won the league.

It’s really noticeable when Chelsea and City appear in the 00’s.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  5. jbaseball44

so much is interesting from it, im not even sure who made it originally but incredible work. Oil has had such a huge impact on the game, City/Chelsea/PSG rise from nothing to spending the most in the game. Liverpool/Spurs are high up for not winning, Jose Mourinho has been spending as assload of money no matter what club he is at, same can be said for Real. Then it's funny to see what clubs pop up for a year or two and then disappear.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  6. orangehorizon

Trusted

Remember when Mesut Özil took that photo with Erdogan last summer and all the shit it created and his poor excuses when he finally spoke out? Bild reports now that he invited Erdogan to his wedding and even wants him to be his groomsman...

7. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Fernandez was a complete clot today. Gave away a stupid penalty and lost possession in a ridiculous place to set up a second goal as well. Calamity defender.

8. PandaBear! Mar 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 16, 2019)
    PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

One of the graphics for those who have not yet seen it. Really didn’t expect Real Madrid to be outside the top 3 at the end tbh, PSG outside the top 5 too. No surprises that it’s just PL clubs that have breached the billion mark :verysad:

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Real Madrid did breach the billion mark in that video, it’s just they dropped slightly before the end.

PandaBear! and falafelmywaffle like this.
  10. jbaseball44

the Özil/Erdogan/Germany stuff has a lot of dimensions to it. As an Özil fan (or even apologist), I hate him associating with Erdogan and wish he wouldn't do it, even though they have a relationship that spans a decade plus, which originated when Erdogan was a different sort of person, or rather pretending to be. I think that Özil was rightfully criticized for the original photo, I also think some of the racial/racist backlash and narrative against him and others who weren't sort of "true Germans" was also disgraceful and exposed some double standards. I also find it hard to jive the sort of socially liberal person Özil is with a friendship with someone like Erdogan. long story short, I think you can believe the photo was unacceptable and that some of the racial reaction to it was also unacceptable.

orangehorizon likes this.
  11. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

everyone get your guesses in for what klopp’s excuse will be if liverpool bottle this

i’m going with: the craven cottage pitch reacted to the rain in a way which detracted pool from playing at their very best

12. Nick Mar 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 17, 2019)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Liverpool are the luckiest team ever.

Will Mane get a two match ban for diving?

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Monchi snubs Arsenal to join Sevilla.

14. jbaseball44

was indifferent towards him joining, woulda been a big test for him as his record at Roma is so-so, and even before that he rarely was in charge of teams in the top 4 of their domestic table. that said, I am curious who Arsenal will get now, suspect it'll either be internal for they'll go for Overmars.

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I wanted you to sign him. His record recently is awful and the Internet hype around him by people that just hear his name and think he's a messiah was so high. Overmars would be a decent appointment.

16. jbaseball44

agreed, he has a sort cult of personality that is far greater than his actual record.

Nick likes this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Same as Sarri last year. Those second level Italian clubs have fantastic marketing :crylaugh:

18. jbaseball44

Overmars, like you said, I think would be a decent appointment. Knows Arsenal so well, has done well with this current Ajax side. DoF's are hard to appoint in general, when you dont have mega/unlimited money then its a difficult job to do and you really have to have a symbiotic relationship with the coach.

I wonder if Wenger will take DoF at PSG in the summer to replace Henrique, who apparently Tuchel despises.

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Millwall knocked out in one of the most hilarious ways. Absolutely delighted.

awakeohsleeper, Platy and AFoolsGlory like this.
  20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

30 minutes in and Siggurdsson and Richarlison have 5 touches each :crylaugh:

21. orangehorizon

Trusted

Alphonso Davies scored his first goal for Bayern

Bobby and PandaBear! like this.
  22. orangehorizon

Trusted

Fully agree.

The problem back then when the whole discussion about the photo took place was that everyone who would criticize Özil for taking the photo was instantly labeled a racist outside of Germany, especially by Arsenal fans. And with his statement (that came way too late anyway) Özil promoted that view even more. He didn't even seem to get why the photo was such a big deal in Germany at all. I know he is not the smartest guy but he is definitely not so stupid to not foresee the consequences such a photo would bring.

The fact that some people in Germany used his behavior as a welcoming gift to further force their prejudices and hatred against Özil is like you said disgraceful. But the vast majority of critics were not of the kind. Still with his statement he pretty much painted every critic as a racist. If you take his statement as a PR campaign, which it essentially was, then it went perfect for him. At least outside of Germany. But it certainly didn't help him to win people back in Germany.

One thing of your comment I have to disagree with actually: just because you might have connections with a person for a long time should be no excuse for all actions. There is always a point where you have to cut ties and with Erdogan that point was once he imprisoned large amounts of journalists and other people that disagreed with him in Turkey.

jbaseball44 and Nick like this.
  23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Genoa!!!!! My boys!!! We out here!!

24. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

What a fucking goal...

25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The assist on his second is so dirty I need a shower.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.