Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [ARCHIVED] Soccer • Page 1113

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. KrisArronNev

Trusted

Jota. 1-1. Good header.

2. JM95

Trusted

So much space for us wide and in the channels but we're not secure defensively. Toney's got the beating of Matip in the air and Fabinho's not alert in front. I think we'll win if we can defend 50% better in the second half.

3. Bobby

Trusted

Dahoud sent off for what might have been the softest second yellow I've ever seen. I can't read lips, let alone anything Dahoud may have said in German, but whatever it was the ref wasn't having it. Dortmund looked out of ideas before that and whew, this second half could be rough.

orangehorizon and JM95 like this.
  4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Salah whiffing is gonna cost them now. Come on.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

3-3? Wtf

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

It appears that Foyth has become some player for Villarreal.

7. We gave up on him way too early

Joe4th likes this.
  8. Platy

Sam

Prime League One football

SamLevi11, JM95 and bigmike like this.
  10. orangehorizon

Trusted

I haven't seen the game but ref Aytekin explained his decision after the game. Seems like minutes before there was a similar gesture from Guerreiro after a call and the ref made it clear don't he won't allow those things because it shows a lack of respect towards the ref. Then Dahoud did the exact same thing and so the ref wanted to set an example. I still think the sent off was too harsh, but also a stupid thing to do from Dahoud.

Bobby likes this.
  11. Bobby

Trusted

As I expected, then. I pointed this out to the BVB reddit thread that I'm sure the Guerreiro incident was similar in nature and that he would not take this shit from the players. It's well within his right to dictate how he will be treated but, yes, I agree, very harsh yet ignorant of Dahoud to not read the ref and not know he wouldn't stand for such direct defiance. After that, most players hardly gestured in Aytekin's direction after calls they disliked.

12. Garrett Sep 25, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 25, 2021)
    Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

potentially a hot take: but players should be allowed to question the refs without any recourse as long as it’s not physical violence. refs are not held publicly (or seemingly privately) accountable for anything. players should be given the same leniency.

orangehorizon and Bobby like this.
  13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

orangehorizon and Big Un like this.
  14. Bobby

Trusted

Probably a hot take for refs but I think most fans would tend to agree that questioning a ref shouldn't be such an immediate, bookable offense. I would say that excessive petulant behavior is potentially warranted. I don't want to see some players incessantly moaning after every call, even if it is getting out of hand.

Ideally there would be enough predictability across all refs for players to be able to get a long in a match expecting calls on certain offenses and no calls on other minor infringements. Obviously this isn't reality and there is even inconsistency from a single ref across each match. However, I do think players need to learn to adjust if a ref is proving to be an aberration from the general expectations. It's something literally every player across most major athletic competitions have to deal with. I know how badly they want to just be able to play without the constant interruptions but adjustments are necessary from time to time.

orangehorizon and Garrett like this.
  15. KrisArronNev

Trusted

Jimenez with a match winner? Someone's been cutting onions.

RobbieBerns and Bobby like this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Atmosphere here is fucking buzzing. In the world’s longest queue for a drink.

Let’s hope for a good and exciting match.

orangehorizon, Big Un, Bobby and 3 others like this.
  17. Soccer twitter is so miserable. I’m unfollowing all the Spurs people I follow outside of Gold.

18. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

That Spurs shirt is so clean, I love it

19. Arsenal passing around us with ease

20. Our entire team were just standing around lol

21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

THE SMIIIIIIIIIIIITH

Bobby likes this.
  22. It’s hard to hate ESR. He’s a good one.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

We look awful so far. This is painful.

24. I don’t understand how we are always out of position. We’re making it easy for Arsenal.

25. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Arsenal absolutely all over them. Good game so far though

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.