Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [Archived] Soccer • Page 806

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Oh wow. Yesterday’s Barca line up was the first line up in sixteen years that didn’t include a La Masia graduate. Apparently a few years back Martin Montoya barely kept the streak alive. I forgot all about him. And players like Cristian Tello and Isaac Cuenca.

2. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Explain? I hate/avoid all sports betting & gambling so not really clear what you are referring to here!

3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Apparently Chris Smalling has now scored more away goals in 2018 than Arsenal have

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

apparently Blind still plays for us :teethsmile:

5. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

In midfield no less! Darmian as well!

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Seems he's forgotten how to play football

7. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

just the idea of the social media of one of the largest betting companies in the world acting high and mighty over this is insane to me because 1. accounts with their cheekyladfootybanter like pp are part of the now inseparable nature of sports marketing, social media and betting and 2. social media could stick around until the end of time and it's unlikely it would ever do the damage that the betting industry has done to people's lives

PandaBear! likes this.
  8. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT AS WE RACE TO THE FINISH!?

[​IMG]

9. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for the reply. Friend of mine suffers from severe depression and is so deep into this sports betting culture he was actually close to quitting his job and becoming some sort of full-time gambler guy(?) but we managed to convince him not to. He has accounts on probably 10 accounts with companies like Paddy Power/Bet365 etc. and bets on any and every football thing he can (thankfully it hasn't gone that bad for him yet). My hope would be that, at the very least, all sponsors and advertisements for betting co's are banned from stadiums/tv broadcasts but that's probably very unrealistic considering these companies are actually shirt sponsors for so many clubs.

10. Garrett

I know most of you don’t care to follow La Liga very much, but I highly recommend giving Sid (the author of this piece) a follow. He’s one of my favorite sports journos. He puts out a ton of good interviews and perspectives from all over the league. He also wrote a book about El Clasico that I’ve been meaning to get for awhile now.

11. OdranWaldo

so many of my friends are probably not far from doing similar, losing a grand in a weekend had somehow become normalised among them before we were 20. can't say i hold out much hope re: the sponsorship because the fa, uefa and fifa don't exactly have a track record for doing the right thing, but the gaa (the amateur organisation that governs the two most popular sports in ireland) don't have that track record either and still recently voted to ban gambling sponsorships, so hopefully it happens one day

GAA votes to ban sponsorship deals with betting companies

PandaBear! likes this.
  12. lol burnley

13. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Wenger Out!!!!

14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I am shook.

15. P-DAWG wufwuf (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:✧

Regular Prestigious

:tear:

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Put a few bets totally £10 on Jardim, Ancelotti and Rodgers are next manager. Got good money on all of them here's hoping.

17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

My jaw genuinely dropped when I read that news. The man is a legend, and over the years his teams have produced some of the best football this country has ever seen - will be sad to see him go!

18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I will also be sad to see him go. Arsenal could become a great team again.

19. Platy

Sam

Hopefully he'll be remembered as the legend he is, not just focusing on the past couple seasons. He definitely changed the game in England, but it's time for him to move on. Wonder who will replace him, Pardew?

Nick likes this.
  20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Apparently there is another announcement at 5PM. I suspect it isn't to do with an appointment but I'm interested.

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

It would be so Wenger if they won the EL and he decided not to leave

22. OdranWaldo

rodgers is here for ten in a row bud

23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, you can keep him, I just had a sinking feeling.

24. OdranWaldo

in my fm, when wenger retired from management he became the director of football. arsenal paid man city €23 mill for luis enrique (who had just won the league), sacked him after 18 months, named wenger interim manager and then permanently appointed him. so i hope something like that happens here.

25. Garrett

Luis Enrique would be a good appointment for Arsenal imo

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.