Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Men's Soccer (Football) Thread [Archived] Soccer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Preston lost 1 - 0 last night. Boo to everything.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Sorry, George! Which teams look to be coming up next year?

3. George

Trusted Prestigious

Hard to say for sure with The Championship, it's a topsy turvy league, and nobody is running away with it yet. Burnley and Middlesborough are the two teams in the automatic places, and Burnley have been in a great run of form for the last three months or so, they're unbeaten since Boxing Day.

There's not much between them and the play-off places though, which currently have Brighton, Hull, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday. Cardiff, Ipswich and Birmingham are 1 or 2 points away from the play-offs, and then there's a 7 point gap to Preston.

Play-offs are so unpredictable though, all it takes is a surge of form in your last three of four games, and you can go from mid-table to 6th in a shot.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Are Preston looking safe at the minute?

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

time for some negativity

wtf???

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. George

Trusted Prestigious

Should be! 14 points away from the bottom, 10th in the league and generally looking fairly decent this season, after a slow start. A solid mid-table finish in our first season back in the league is good though.

We also have Anders Linedegaard as our keeper, who you probably remember, and he's been bloody marvelous. I think he's our fourth ex-United player in the current squad. We also have Liam Grimshaw, Ben Pearson and Marnick Vermijl, but I don't think they ever actually played for United.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Garrett

Yikes.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Nice nice! Always like their name, Preston North End. It was unique and grabbed me when I was younger. Oh wow did not know you got Pearson! He was at Barnsley earlier in the season, I've loved that kid for a few years, all action midfielder. How's he getting on?

Lindegaard was a weird one, he always looked ok but never really Man United quality, you know?

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Pearson has been good, signed him in January, think he's played every game since then! Looks like a promising player.

We also had Will Keane on loan for half the season, he was absolute dogshite haha.

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Will has been a bit unfortunate, few major injuries have curtailed his development.

11. George

Trusted Prestigious

Out for a work's do tonight so missing both the Tottenham - Dortmund and Liverpool - United games, which is a bummer. I'd have loved to just veg out and watch two (hopefully) cracking games in a row. I think Dortmund and Liverpool will go through over the two legs.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Think the match tonight will be a "who plays less shit" result. We've had great results against Liverpool the last two years but they're going to raise their game immensely. I don't think we will unfortunately.

13. Garrett

Didn't realize this is the first time United and Pool have ever met in an European competition.

Nick likes this.
  14. George Mar 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2016)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

To be fair with that, it's only been the past ~15 years or so that they could meet, as the Champions League / European Cup used to only be 1 entrant per nation until some point in the late 90s. So they only avoided each other for 7 or 8 years where they were both in the same competition.

Though, if it wasn't for a last minute Riise own-goal, Liverpool would have faced United in the 07/08 Champions League final.

Edit: Don't know how that last sentence got cut off earlier...

Nick likes this.
  15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Well, Spurs got tonked. Strange from Pochettino

16. Garrett

weak penalty given to liverpool earlier.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't think it was a penalty but I wouldn't argue hard against it.

18. Garrett

DDG is too good, though. Keepin' y'all in this (as per usual)

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. I know we just had two tough matches but it'd still make sense to play a stronger lineup against Dortmund than it does against Aston Villa.

Nick likes this.
  20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

yeah I didn't get it, could have used his squad better there. can't talk much lvg started fellaini :verysad:

21. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I like him

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

George likes this.
  23. Wharf Rat

Rafa to Newcastle. Bless u TV money

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

WHAT UP!! :mufc::mufc::mufc:

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Wharf Rat

GROSS

:everton::everton: :everton:

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.