Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MENA World • Page 4

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by aranea, May 19, 2017.

1. lightning

Contender likes this.
  2. lightning

3. lightning

thread

CW// abuse/rape

4. lightning

5. lightning

Contender likes this.
  6. lightning

Importer/Exporter and Contender like this.
  7. lightning Sep 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 28, 2017)
    lightning

long thread:

jawstheme, Contender and Wharf Rat like this.
  8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

9. Wharf Rat

This is really crazy. If Turkey succeeds in crushing the independent KRG, lots of bad things could happen. First of all there are implications of Turkey invading what Iraq, and most of the international community, still see as part of Iraq. Second, Turkish army could probably defeat KRG army pretty easily in conventional war, but Kurdistan is mountainous and the war will not be conventional. It'll be brutal. 3rd, there are 2 other groups of Kurds - PKK within Turkey and YPG in Syria - that are openly hostile to Turks. PKK is happy to do terrorism against Turks, and might even start doing car bombs on Turkish streets in response. YPG is a major military force, backed by US (though maybe not in this case?) that has beaten Turkish proxies in Syria, but hasn't fought the Turkish regulars. Also, YPG and KRG have poor relations, and YPG may not want to help. Weird stuff.

10. lightning

Contender likes this.
  11. lightning

thread

12. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I disagree with that article strongly.

13. lightning Oct 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 12, 2017)
    lightning

Why? it's people like you that make people like me turn away, you do know that right? i'm not sure what you disagree with, but if it's the general sentiment i'm expressing, then you seem to lack understanding of other situations. but you want people like me to understand where you're coming from with yours. that's not how it works. it goes both ways.

if you want to talk about it at length, you can message me off here, but you never seem to make any sense when it comes to this. we have to make progress. these aren't things of which we can simply "agree to disagree" like you often say, because you're undermining oppression of minority groups in other regions, and coming at it from the wrong angle.

Contender likes this.
  14. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

To be clear, I wasn’t referring to the article Max posted. I was referring to the article on Islamic imperialism. As it relates to that, I think the analysis is wrong. It basically gives a pass to colonialism and says that Islamist tendencies are the most violent force in the world. I happen to think that belongs to the US and the West in general. You can disagree with that analysis. But, it is an analysis and invoking that it may alienate people isn’t a critique isn’t an analysis.

15. lightning

I know you weren't talking about the WaPo piece, but you're deflecting by critiquing something I wasn't complaining about. :/ The rest of my (deleted) post still stands, though, and I'm still in agreement with the lack of real discussion about islamism be it past or present, in western leftist circles because of western-centrism and how some of the most oppressed peoples from the region have responded to that. some of it is wrong and apologist, and some of it isn't there at all.

16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Islamism is discussed in the left. You just dislike the way in which it is discussed. And I said nothing of your post, which is why I said I disagree with the article.

17. lightning

If that way is apologism or whitewashing then yeah I don't know why I wouldn't dislike it. But thanks for accusing I guess.

18. lightning

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

20. lightning

21. Wharf Rat

You have any value-judgement thoughts on this? I know the KRG hasn't treated minorities well to say the least, but do you feel good about the Iraqi government taking these actions? Do minorities in KRG feel good about it?

22. lightning

Yeah, they actually do feel good about it
    I'll quote a response "this is a joyous occasion"

jawstheme and Wharf Rat like this.
  23. lightning

24. lightning

25. lightning