Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Medium Launches Memberships

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Medium has launched a new membership program. It’s $5 and I feel like Ev Williams and I would get along really well:

We invite you to join us as a paid member and to help support an ad-free platform that delivers the right type of content: the type that can only be created when independent writers and publishers are rewarded based on value rather than clicks. Medium will remain free and open for anyone who wants to share ideas with the world.

Like the idea but for an awesome music website you may be reading right now? We’ve got a similar plan and motto.

2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

curious how this ties into those layoffs few months ago.

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

4. Corey Long

Chord & Quill // The Codex Supporter

The staff they laid off was the advertising staff. They had a publisher program that got The Ringer, etc to join but ultimately didn't like having sponsored posts and the like.

They want home grown publications and writers and they really hate doing ads. Sites like The Ringer will likely leave which I think Ev is fine with.