Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

McCafferty - Yarn (March 23, 2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Feb 14, 2018.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

[​IMG]

Track Listing:
    1. Loser
    2. Paper, Pencil, Copyright
    3. Yarn
    4. Strain
    5. Sauerkraut
    6. Scotland
    7. Mary Z
    8. Windmill
    9. It’s A
    10. Westboro Sadness
    11. Prolly
    12. TOEWGMO

2. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Getting some old Say Anthing vibes from this.

3. I was really surprised at how much I liked their EP from last year, even if the "obvious TFB rip-off" label is still accurate. Also dig one of the songs on their split with Heart Attack Man. I'm not really feeling this single at all, but I'm definitely going to give the record a shot.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  4. ...this is out, right? Surprised no one has thoughts.

I think this is the worst album I've heard in like 5 years.

5. Cactus109

I personally really dig the album, it's a good mix of their older style and a newer direction. Some songs are weaker than others, but I think the overall is pretty great

solxace likes this.
  6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that seems to be a little hyperbolic.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

eh, i can believe it if you rarely go out of your way to listen to music that you know you don't like. like the amount of actual bad albums i've listened to in recent years is tiny

ECV likes this.
  8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

exactly

9. Maybe you’re right. I’m kind of just taken aback because I liked the EP quite a bit and this is a colossal step back in every way. I expected this to be good and it’s genuinely hard for me to sit through. The lyrics are more awful than usual, the production doesn’t suit the songwriting at all, the melodies that really made the EP for me aren’t there—it’s the first time since probably Young New England that a band I liked released what I think is a practically irredeemably bad record. I mean, there are definitely worse bands out there, but at least those bands know what they’re about. This record just feels like a complete misfire at its intended target to me.

10. bedwettingcosmo

def got some cringey moments lyrically but they always do. i dont hate it though.

11. Yikes, this is pretty bad. Triple Crown have a good batting average but they really messed up releasing an album this uninspired. And those lyrics... welp.

12. The fact that “I hope I die / I hope I’m high” is repeated like 4 times in Strain is bordering on self-parody.

13. Also feel that Westboro Sadness is an extreme mishandling of a sensitive topic and it makes me very uncomfortable.

And “Sleep with the hot guys, never with the nice ones” in Mary Z is like, are you serious?

14. bedwettingcosmo

yeah westboro is really bad. so is the closer.

15. 'I'm the consequences of my actions, but I did it anyway / You know that football players always get away with rape'

fucking excuse me

no fucking wonder these guys have no qualms about touring with Moose Blood

leerkat likes this.
  16. Yeaaaaaah that’s the line. Rest of the song is pretty awful too, including those opening lines, but that line makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Carrow likes this.
  17. bedwettingcosmo

not sure if it makes much of a difference, but the line begins with "she said" so i dont think he's talking from his perspective.

18. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

im not surprised at any shitty lyrics this album has considering the singer used to tweet homophobic slurs to anyone who would tweet about not liking their music

19. lol in the very song we're talking about he can't say 'f*ggot' when it's obvious from the context of the song that's what he means. schoolyard bullies don't use 'maggot' as an insult for fuck's sake. fucking coward

20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Wow I’m glad I haven’t listened to this

21. Cactus109

Pretty sure it's because the label wouldn't allow it, pretty sure I remember them tweeting that some lyrics had to be changed. Also, I think it's about his experiences being called such and bullied for his sexuality

22. Cactus109

He's apologized for that multiple times, and while it isn't cool, dude was way younger when he did it. Again, not an excuse, but people say dumb stuff without thinking when they're in their teens, yo.

23. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

was he not a teacher while doing that??? like.... im sorry, i understand being young. but being a teacher and acting like he did is completely unacceptable for anybody at any age

24. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

I'm really unsurprised that the lyrics are this way considering the "we're touring with moose blood uwu" debacle but holy shit this is bad

Carrow and matthaber like this.
  25. btr

Trusted Supporter

Just checked this out because there's a lot of buzz around this band and wow, I do not like this at all. TFB ripoff aside, this is just plain bad.

Bummer that they're probably going to have decent tours lined up this fall/winter.

Carrow and leerkat like this.