Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mayday Parade Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Clockwork, Jan 27, 2017.

1. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

bahahaahha yesssssss this is exactly what i wanted from them i am so happy holy fuck

FTank and oldboot like this.
  2. oldboot

Regular

I am here for the most useless post in chorus.fm history. I had no better place to post this case study in Mayday Parade lyrics, so here you go. I realized a bit ago that Mayday Parade really love...music. They make many, many references to music within their music. There is literally no point to this post other than to flesh out my observations about how often Mayday make mention of music. So, below, are lyrics which mention something related to music. This is not to bash the band or anything as they're one of my favorites, I just wanted to put this all to paper to prove to myself I wasn't dreaming and that Mayday do, in fact, reference music and it's many facets frequently within their lyrics:

Tales Told By Dead Friends:

Three Cheers for Five Years:
    “You know the words, so sing along for me baby”

The Last Something That Meant Anything:
    “…to write a ballad while we say the things we’d hope would mean the most to me.”

A Lesson In Romantics

Black Cat:
    “And we fade out as the soundtrack sings

When I get Home You’re So Dead:
    “I’ve got to fill the blanks in the past with a verse

Jersey:
    “Let’s write a song that we can dance to, ‘cause they all want to listen”
    “Let’s write a song that we can sing to and you can lead the choir—and put the hook where it hurts the most”

If You Wanted a Song…:
    “And you dropped the note and we changed the key, you changed yourself and I changed me. I really didn’t see us singing through this. Then you screamed the bridge and I cried the verse and our chorus came out unrehearsed”

Walk on Water or Drown:
    “Play me a song, it’s been too long since I’ve heard you sing

I’d Hate to Be You When People…
    “I could only sing you sad songs, and you could sing along. And you could see the melody has been calling out your wrongs.”

Take This to Heart:
    “…and dance with our hearts on fire, ‘cause every song is ours tonight.”

Champagne’s for Celebrating:
    “Save a sad song for the sing-along.”
    “As the record on her stereo plays her favorite song for two whole days.”

You Be the Anchor…:
    “I’m sure everything would be find me; all that’s left is just so sing.”
    “And if you sing to me sweet until then I may never sail Virginia again…”

Anywhere But Here:

Bruised and Scarred:
    “Someone please sing this lovesick melody…”

If You Can’t Live Without Me…:
    “Baby, I sorely miss the vibrant gleam that’s in your eyes…I’ll write a song about it. And maybe if the melody’s just right, I hope tonight it will find you.”
    “When you hear this chorus do you miss the way the world was spinning for us?”
    “This song is every word I’ve left unspoken.”

Get Up:
    “Get up, get up…sing it like you’re screaming at me.”
    “Get up, get up…b-b-beating to the rhythm.”

I Swear This Time I Mean It:
    “So I’ll sing a melody and hope to God she’s listening. Sleeping softly while I sing. And I’ll be your memories, your lullaby for all the times…”

Self-Titled

Oh Well Oh Well:
    “Like harmony, a never-ending dream”
    “So here’s your song, it’s twisting me.”
    “Sit still and listen to the soundtrack…”

When You See My Friends:
    “So give me company and help me sing this melody.”

Without the Bitter…
    Sing to me sweet, just like my memory.”

Monsters in the Closet

Girls:
    “And I’ll sing so sweet while I speak I’ll bite my tongue.”

Last Night For a Table For Two:
    “Let go and make believe we’re singing in the streets.”

Even Robots Need Blankets:
    Singing, oh love get me out of the cold.”

Hear the Sound:
    “As she whispers in your ear, it’s the saddest song…”
    “I’d write a thousand songs just to keep you calm.”

Black Lines

One of Them Will Destroy the Other:
    “Play it faster, there’s company in the key.”

Narrow:
    “I was screaming your name through the radio and wouldn’t I lie just to sing of your praise with hymns.”

All on Me:
    “You’re the song in my head that I can’t get out.”

Sunnyland

Is Nowhere:

“And there’s a choir getting started, but I burned that bridge for good”
    “You smile while the symphony plays and tell me music is your only escape”

If I Were You:
    “We used to drive all night on the 319, singing songs with our friends that you threw away”
    “I’d sing old songs that we used to sing.

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Been listening to Monsters In The Closest. I haven't really given that album a chance, but now that I've actually given it good listens I can say there are so many cool melodies throughout this album. It honestly seems like they concentrated a lot on melody writing the album. Its not as mellow as I remember it being either. Especially since Sunnyland has been released.

4. Clockwork

Regular

I haven’t been able to listen yet, but I’m genuinely shocked (and excited) they picked this song.

5. btr

Trusted Supporter

:)

Clockwork likes this.
  6. Clockwork

Regular

They’re teasing Anywhere But Here on socials. It’s obviously their worst album, but I hope this means they’re finally releasing it on vinyl so I can complete the collection (minus Valdosta).

If it’s for a tour... I’m much less enthusiastic.

Speaking of, how has ABH aged for everyone? It’s still pretty lyrically cringey in a bunch of songs, and I don’t think it has any huge redeeming moments, but it’s got a few gems and is overall... competent, I guess.

7. bwh0005

[]

It's for a tour, 5 dates according to the event page for the Tallahassee date.

8. Clockwork

Regular

Ugh. Well hopefully there’s a vinyl release too, or maybe a re-release like ALIR. Also, I see the Tallahassee date, but where do you see more dates?

9. bwh0005

[]

First paragraph of the "About this event" section of the event page.

Clockwork likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

ABH is not good. The post-Jason adjustment did not go well for them at all, it was very apparent that he was a critical member of the band and, for at least that album, they didn't really know how to handle him not being around. At least they bounced back with the self-titled, which is incredible, so they definitely were able to right the ship.

But yeah I'm kind of shocked they're doing even a 5-date tour for it. I would've been shocked if they did one date lol.

11. btr

Trusted Supporter

Gonna pass on this one. Adjusting to being Jasonless really shows on this, as I feel it’s their most boring record by a bit.

See ya in 2021 for the self-titled 10 year.

tyramail likes this.
  12. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Anyone else not care for any of their discog besides Black Lines? Cause I feel like I've always been alone in that sentiment.

I really, really like Black Lines. I spin it at least once a month, but I've never been much of a fan of anything else they've done.

13. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I’m a fan of their entire discog, some not near as much as others, but I don’t outright dislike anything they’ve done. That said, Black Lines is one of their best and most underrated and it’s criminal they don’t play more from it live.

lostawholeyear likes this.
  14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Black Lines is their best record. But the only one of their albums I'd call bad is ABH. There's a lot to love about all of their other ones, especially self-titled and Sunnyland.

15. Clockwork

Regular

Forgot to mention that although ABH is pretty bad, the two bonus tracks are really good.

Also, confirmed to be a (very limited) tour:

16. Clockwork

Regular

This is so out of left field, but I kind of need this vinyl. When I was super into MP and Go Radio I actually listened to these old demos a ton. I even bought a Defining Moment CD from eBay. Having an updated release would be surreal.

Edit: Also it says error on my page, but it’s an Instagram link to a post saying they’re doing a Defining Moment/Kid Named Chicago show and releasing a vinyl record with three of each of their old songs.

17. Mikeydude91

This is actually pretty awesome

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

19. btr

Trusted Supporter

New EP "Out Of Here" out October 16th

[​IMG]

beachdude and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  20. Clockwork

Regular

Any word on physical preorders?

21. Clockwork

Regular

22. FloatUpstream

Regular

I like the new song. Definitely getting added to the regular rotation

23. Clockwork

Regular

Idk if anyone else watched, but they did a listening party tonight for people who preordered the album. The EP is just 3 songs, including the one we’ve heard. The first one is pretty good. A fun uptempo song like Lighten Up Kid I guess. The last one was mostly acoustic about Jake’s dad nearly dying. Definitely my favorite.

I also asked if there are any plans to press ABH or Valdosta on vinyl, and the bad news is that no, those won’t be released any time soon. I guess ABH and maybe Valdosta are owned by Atlantic (Valdosta might be Fearless, idk), and they said they’d been trying and would keep trying, but label issues were preventing it from happening.

So yeah. It was fun. The EP is good, but kind of a typical pop rock sound.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  24. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

They're doing a concert stream next Saturday. Merch is up for it.

25. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Discovered the new EP recently and have been all over Lighten Up Kid, super catchy song! Never thought I'd be listening to new Mayday in 2020.

beachdude likes this.