Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mayday Parade - Sunnyland (June 15, 2018) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, May 3, 2018.

1. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Just listened to the album through. Its okay but not loving it. Maybe it will grow on me. I like the song "Where You Are" but the ending is very anticlimactic, I feel like it should end with a different note with the vocals. The album lyrics are okay with some weak spots, especially in the song Sunnyland.

2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Is Nowhere is good

lostawholeyear likes this.
  3. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Why is this album so long? It would improve instantly by just cutting 3-4 songs.

CAC3 likes this.
  4. Jake W

Weirdest thing to me is that they decided to end the album on two acoustic songs back to back.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The sequencing with this one is all messed up

6. Jake W

I would definitely cut Always Leaving

7. thisisnotbrianm

Regular

I really love always leaving for some reason, I think it’s probably the most honest / vulnerable song on the record lyrically.

I’d personally cut Take My Breath Away or Where You Are. I could do without either of those personally.

Album is very solid. My three favorites now that I’ve let it sink in for a week are probably If I Were You, Looks Red Tastes Blue, and It’s Hard to be Religious. For some reason, IIWY really gives me some classic Hit the Lights vibes to it, and I love that. The chorus of Looks Red is huge, and very classic Mayday.

I’m happy with this record, even though I was scared after Never Sure came out that the quality would be a step down (content and lyrically). Cant wait to see how this record grows on me and eventually fits into my overall ranking of their albums. The only obvious thing that would change how this fits in (besides for being a bit weaker lyrically) is the very odd number of ballads / slow songs. 5 / 13 (6 if you want to count Stay the Same) is a very, very odd ratio, and throws off the driving force of the record (especially plopped in between songs like Is Nowhere, If I Were You, and How Do You Like Me Now)

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I enjoyed "If I were you" and "Satellite".

lostawholeyear likes this.
  9. Matt504 Jun 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2018)
    Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely what I’m used to Mayday sounding like compared to the last album. Very enjoyable, just 2-3 songs I would’ve left off...

10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If I Were You, Sunnyland, Stay The Same are my top 3. It’s strange ending the album with two acoustic songs.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I like this more in high quality, plus knowing what to expect. I stand by my complaints about the sequencing, and overall I think it's generally weaker than most of their past albums, but I wouldn't say I dislike it. Maybe it'll grow on me like MITC, which I also didn't like at all on first listen.

12. Jake W

I like this album but it's a step down from Black Lines imo

13. J12

Trusted Supporter

I'm actually into this more than I thought I'd be. Mayday is usually hit or miss for me. I find I usually like about half of each of their records. Totally agree about the track listing, though. Two acoustics at the end is a very odd choice.

I've been streaming on Amazon Music, though, and the quality of some of the faster/heavier songs is really bad. Sounds like an old 128 rip. Think I'll go pick up a copy after work, it's been a while since I've actually bought a Mayday record.

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. Jake W

This is the first time I've liked two albums in a row from them

what and beachdude42 like this.
  15. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I’ll give it a spin, but mayday is one of those bands that I enjoy for the first few listens then never revisit aside from a few songs.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is way too long at 13 tracks. Some decent stuff on here though.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Take the best songs from Black Lines and add the best from Sunnyland and you’ve got a damn good album.

Jake W likes this.
  18. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

luv it

19. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Worked for the 1975 haha

20. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Does anyone else think Looks Red, Tastes Blue sounds alot like the song Backseat Serenade by All Time Low? Especially the background vocals in the middle of the song

lindsaylove081 likes this.
  21. oldboot

Regular

I dig this. Always Leaving is the only one that doesn't really do much for me. I'm a huge fan of the first two, Is Nowhere, and Red/Blue. I love when this band turns the volume up and just jams. Excited for them to announce a proper headliner in the fall and hear a bunch of these cuts live.

22. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

really enjoying this, more than I expected. Could def be trimmed a little, but it is nice to have an album thats longer than 10 songs for a change

23. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

this one's taking a little while on me but it'll get there. sucks to always get summer albums on winter

24. Clockwork

Regular

I finally got my vinyl, and it's just really beautiful.

25. oldboot

Regular

Which variant did you go with? I got the orange/white swirl and it is gorgeous!