Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mayday Parade - Sunnyland (June 15, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, May 3, 2018.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Black Lines was not very good. Love this song though, I’m super stoked for the album now

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t think I would have even given Black Lines a second listen if it didn’t have the Mayday Parade name on it tbh.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Black Lines is their best album for me

4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m relistening to it now to see if anything clicks more. Still don’t like anything about the opener. Just Out of Reach is okay, but it’s probably the most similar to their previous material.

I dunno, the band just seems off to me on this one. I’ve always thought Derek’s vocals were uncharacteristically weak on this album. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s cool that they tried a new direction - it’s just that I don’t think they’re good at the sound they went for.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think we have the opposite opinion on just about any music topic that’s not your turnover avatar

KidLightning, beachdude42 and FTank like this.
  6. skoopy

Regular

Black Lines is the only thing from this group that I've semi enjoyed. I felt like the raw vibe of that record did a good job of counterbalancing the melodrama that usually rubs me the wrong way in regards to the rest of their discog.

beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  7. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

I agree with you about the new single. If I wanted the old Mayday Parade sound I would just listen to their old albums. I still think Black Lines is the best album by this band so far.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Feel like i listened to a different song than the rest of you

oldboot and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

yeah i rly enjoyed it. its fairly catchy for a slower, ballad-esque song

FTank likes this.
  10. My problem with this song is that I feel like I've heard it 100 times before from this band and all of those times were more enjoyable.

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd already put this in the top tier of their songs tbh. I like how it's got melodies that are very recognizably MP and does that slow build thing that they do a lot, but with a little more pop buoyancy and less, for lack of a better term, "heavy-handedness" than in other songs like this that they've written before

teebs41 likes this.
  12. Clockwork

Regular

Yeah, I’ve definitely come around to this song more over the past week. Maybe it’s just cause I’m getting older, but an album of mellow summer songs like this would fine by me. I do hope the album has at least a little boundary pushing, though

13. thisisnotbrianm

Regular

New song, Never Sure, up on their Facebook.

This is what I was hoping to hear from this album. I like this one a lot.

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Where? I don't see it.

15. btr

Trusted Supporter

Just a heads up that it’s the album opener, in case you want to wait for the full record.

16. ccsc918

existing

Never Sure is great. Reminds me of Black Lines mixed with older Mayday

17. Anthony_

That's some classic Parade right there no doubt about it. It's definitely going to be a fun summer record.

18. beachdude

Well I’ll be damned... my hype for this album is back! Never Sure totally rules, and is exactly what I was hoping for from this album.

Tbh the first single already grew on me too, once I set aside what I had hoped for it is a very solid Mayday song for sure.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Clockwork

Regular

I’m a little eh on the lyrics, but this song is solid. I think I actually prefer Piece of Your Heart, though

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Not really a fan of this song. Sounds like run of the mill Mayday fare

21. mentalgellar

Big fan of both of these songs, there's enough old and enough new mayday here to keep me interested.

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. Anthony_

While I am still kind of disappointed they're ditching the Black Lines sound/production, I have to say that I've warmed up (pun intended) to the first song and I really like the new one. It sounds like a more mature version of their classic sound, which is pretty enjoyable as someone who first discovered this band back in 2006 with the EP and also saw them as the first band of the day the very first time I went to Warped tour back then. Kind of feels like they grew up alongside me at this point.

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Never been super into this band other than a couple songs on A Lesson in Romantics, but I threw on the self-titled one and Black Lines and I actually like a fair amount of each album. Wish I had given them a chance earlier. Not to start a ranking frenzy, but I’m genuinely curious about which albums are regarded as their best, not too good, etc.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. beachdude

ALIR and self-titled are pretty widely considered their best among their fanbase I think... Black Lines gets love from a lot of people who don’t normally love them (and some fans like myself), but a lot of the fanbase wasn’t into it. I think it’s phenomenal though and maybe their best. The other two albums are more hit and miss imo, especially Anywhere But Here where they signed to Atlantic and worked with a bunch of co-writers.

Black Lines > ALIR > self-titled >>>> Monsters in the Closet >> Anywhere But Here

FloatThroughMe likes this.
  25. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

ALIR and Black Lines are great, Self-titled is quite good, MITC is boring and ABH is mostly bad

beachdude42 likes this.