Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mayday Parade – “Kids of Summer” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Sadly it feels like these guys hit their creative ceiling a long time ago

3. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I feel like they have been struggling since Black Lines. That was an amazing album that evolved their sound, but everything since is just meh and a watered down version of how they sounded in their prime.

Chase Tremaine and cosmickid like this.
  4. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

decent song but yeah i want more black lines-ish music from them

AlwaysEvolving21 and koryoreo like this.
  5. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Not me distracted at the beginning of the video trying to determine if one of the guys is wearing a Red Wings shirt.

6. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Black lines is the only album of theirs I don’t ever return to, also don’t revisit monsters in the closet much really either. I think as far as their fanbase is concerned most didn’t accept black lines all that well

7. sowrongitsryan

Regular

Yeah… pretty sure this is why they keep recording the same songs over and over again. It’s like new found glory - they tried writing something out of people’s comfort zones and are afraid of ever taking risks again. New found glory will, however, at least record with different producers. MP keeps recording with the same dudes who did ALIR and the sound hasn’t changed a bit.

8. WasteSomeTime

Regular

I agree with what your saying but also assume at this point, "if its not broke, don't fix it." They are getting later into their career, still have a strong, consistent fan base at shows, are comfortable and enjoy the way they do things and regardless if its not all that original anymore most of the time its still pretty enjoyable.

Also they have 6 full length albums. 3 Different producers. They haven't used Zack and Kenneth on every album.

9. sowrongitsryan

Regular

Yes they worked with bendeth - a seemingly good step (he had produced riot! after all right before). It fell flat commercially - they blamed the label for all their problems, even though it kinda just seemed like people didn’t like mayday without Lancaster (the songs weren’t even that different from ALIR lol). Then they reverted back to zk for 2 straight albums(!), and focused on more dual vocals like in ALIR, at least in their s/t. I definitely view their s/t album as a Hail Mary to try and win back their old fans - they needed to for the sake of their careers lol. They eventually tried to branch out with black lines, I assume they noticed that fans were getting fatigued with the sound, and prob got really bored of their own music. I appreciated it - but it fell flat commercially, they didn’t really get any new fans, and probably lost more of their old ones. So, they recorded a big chunk of sunnyland with… zk again (guess who produced piece of your heart?). And their song releases through 2019-2020 have all been produced by zk. I don’t really blame them - I blame their fans who, for the last 15 years, seem to have had trouble processing that Jason Lancaster isn’t in this band anymore, and can’t handle when anything doesn’t sound close to “vintage mayday.” I’m sure they envy some other bands they grew up with like all time low, or even the maine, who haven’t been exclusively pigeonholed into writing the same songs over again. On the other hand, they’re still around, making music, and packing venues, which is more than most other bands from that time can say. I just know that personally, I’ve become wholly disenchanted from this band’s music over and over again, and I really can’t stand to listen to them like I used to, and judging by other comments I don’t seem to be alone.

10. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I'm torn between "I really want Mayday to be successful and happy" and "I really wish Mayday would write more songs like the ones on "Black Lines"

11. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Lots of bands do this they started with zk on the first record. Then on anywhere but here changes producers. Then album 3 and 4 went with zk. Album 5 blacklines tries someone else. Then 6 decided they wanted to go back to zk. Most loved sunnyland btw

12. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

I'm in a similar boat. I guess I'm a "Basic mayday parade fan bitch" or something haha. But really, I enjoy their first record like many, AbH was good, Valdosta was great, and Self titled is my favorite. Self-titled is what got me into the band. I have only liked Sunnyland and out of here since... I thought this song wasn't bad either.

13. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Sunnyland is close to a perfect record for me and easily my favorite MP record. I'm hoping they can catch some of the same magic on the new record as they did Sunnyland. This song is promising but they've written better.