Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mayday Parade – “I Can Only Hope” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jackyjackyjack

Regular

All the new stuff is supremely 'meh'. Really trying to recapture the magic of ALIR when really they should have continued in the more progressive Black Lines direction. Such a shame

RileyWitiw likes this.
  3. LalalaBrian

Agreed. Black Lines is so underrated, and I'm surprised that people disliked it so much. I really think it needed more marketing and promotion, because it felt so under-the-radar leading up to its release.

The guys really seemed to take pride in making a record that sounded like the music they listened to—they even went out of their way to hire the same people who partnered with the bands they listened to, and Derek in particular seemed excited to try out new sounds. I know that the new sounds in Black Lines don't make a great casual listen, but I think it's pretty solid when you give it some time.

RileyWitiw likes this.
  4. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I think Sunnyland is their peak and I wish the EP reflected that sound.

5. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I agree with this completely. That was a really good album. Hoping there's some more varied stuff on the rest of this new album.

parkerxcore likes this.
  6. sowrongitsryan

Regular

I agree. I think something to keep in mind: Most of the songs on Sunnyland were recorded with the same producers as this EP though (Odom/Mount). I think the difference between this EP and the full-length is that it doesn’t have a high budget for mixing/mastering/writing as the full length did. Like - Sunnyland had major-label rock radio mixing and mastering (Lord-Algae/Jenson). Howard benson even produced one of the songs, and Feldmann helped with writing/producing on some songs. I don’t think “Piece of Your Heart” sounds much different than this album if you can imagine lower-budget mixing/mastering.

7. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I hear that and it makes sense. I just don't feel that these songs have any punch/hook like Sunnyland. I'm a huge MP fan so I think I am hopeful for a bit more from them at this point in their career. My friends and I all have matching Sunnyland tattoos so maybe my expectations are too high haha

sowrongitsryan likes this.
  8. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

IMO peak Mayday is self-titled, but I enjoyed Sunnyland quite a bit as well. They are at their best when Jake and Derek are trading back vocals.