Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Matt Skiba Talks with Ultimate Guitar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matt Skiba talked with Ultimate Guitar about writing and recording with Blink-182:

I would bring a song into the studio, we’d work on it or I would send a very crude demo to Mark and Travis and then go in the next day and kind of learn it and everybody bring their own thing to it. We would track it at Travis’ studio.

We were doing this for several months. The songs were good. It was cool but it didn’t sound like Blink. The songs I was bringing in sounded like [Alkaline Trio].

2. devenstonow

Noobie

I thought Skiba didn't write a single note and Feldman made them get rid of what was thought of by many to be the next Nevermind?

3. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I think that is one of the cooler parts of the new blink - it is a different sound for Matt Skiba. Alkaline Trio and his work with the Sekrets is pretty similar sounding. Hell I still get Falling Like Rain and Dead on the Floor mixed up.

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Said it before, but if their next record is a true blink/A3 mesh, I think that'd be an interesting sound. California, while I love it, sounds a bit first record-y, trying to figure things out. LP2 with Matt could be great.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  5. TedMosby

I think they were playing it safe with their first record together. They put together a bunch of radio-friendly songs to bring the fan base back in. I believe they'll take more risks on their next album

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hopefully all those song Matt wrote to begin get used for new Alkaline Trio.

Part of me also wishes they still worked with other producers they talked about instead of going with the first person they worked with haha. I mean, BTD is a great song....but still.

7. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I like that Skiba straight-up admits he started out writing Alk3 songs because that's just what he's done for so long. An interesting evolution of them learning to write songs together.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.