Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Matt Skiba Ranks Alkaline Trio Albums

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio sat down with Noisey to rank the band’s albums:

Crimson is one of my favorite Trio records. It’s the last record we made with Jerry Finn and, for a while, I couldn’t listen to it. There was so much of Jerry Finn in the production. Now, when I listen to Crimson, sometimes I think about Jerry, and I miss him, but for the most part I’m just really grateful that we had the opportunity to work with the most amazing producer for our genre that there’s ever been. I’m really thankful for that album, and I’m really thankful for Jerry’s friendship. He was one of my best friends.

IAmANightmare likes this.
  2. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

Suprised maybe I'll catch fire is last. That is my favorite Alk3 record

3. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Glad to see he ranked Crimson so high. It's my favorite Alk3 record by far, and I know we'll never get another record like it due to Jerry Finn's excellent production. It was one-of-a-kind.

4. Gen Handley

Regular

Yeah it's amazing and for a while, I felt the sentiment was frowned upon by their fans.

macbethfan likes this.
  5. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Glad to see My Shame Is True and Crimson ranked so high - love 'em both.

macbethfan and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  6. bransco2010

never understood the dislike of Crimson. even if i don't think it's their "best" work, it's by far my favorite record they've put out. such a dark, moody feel to the whole thing. can't even begin to count how many times i've spun it but i can still listen from beginning to end and never get bored.

macbethfan likes this.
  7. defmytones

Regular

I wish this followed up to an announcement of some form of new music from them. My Shame Is True was one hell of an album to end on.

honkytonk likes this.
  8. Wow, I am actually shocked that he would put Good Mourning that far down the list, but I understand his reasoning. I still think it's their best record.

9. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Interesting how different Dan and Matt’s rankings are.

Former Planets likes this.
  10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Im more along with Dannys rankings, I love GM, A&I, and their newest record so friggin much.

11. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

This is so interesting to read. I can't argue with any of the justification Matt gave for his rankings, but it's fascinating to me that his choices are largely the opposite of my choices.

12. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

disappointing to see him defending Douglas P. of Death in June. dude's a crypto-fascist neo-Nazi who's no different from bands like Skrewdriver.

Contender likes this.
  13. DooDooBird

Trusted

Godammit is definitely my least favorite album by them. It's just too raw and sloppy. Ranking that album among my favorites would be like ranking Buddha among my fave Blink albums. It's just not happening.

Contender likes this.
  14. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I gotta disagree. The rawness of Goddamnit doesn’t detract from the quality of the songwriting and some damn good performances. Buddha is poorly recorded, the songs are lackluster, and the vocals are somewhere between out-of-tune and completely atonal. Goddamnit isn’t my favorite Trio record, but it would be in the top half. I wouldn’t even consider ranking Buddha with the rest of blink’s albums.

Daniel182 likes this.
  15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I was bummed till I read his reasonsing and now I understand a little better.

Still think Crimson, Good Mourning, and From Here to Infirmary are by far their three best records in that exact order.

16. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Comparing Goddamnit to Buddha may be one of the worst takes I've ever seen, here OR absolutepunk lol

17. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

He has said he's been writing with Dan and Derek. Don't think they're close to announcing something but they aren't ending with MSIT.