Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Matt Reeves to Direct ‘The Batman’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Matt Reeves has officially signed on to direct The Batman. The full press release can be found below.

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Matt Reeves (“Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” “Cloverfield”) has been set to direct “The Batman.” Reeves will also serve as a producer on the new standalone action adventure centering on one of DC’s most enduringly popular Super Heroes. The announcement was made by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.
    Emmerich stated, “We are thrilled to have Matt Reeves taking the helm of Batman, the crown jewel of our DC slate. Matt’s deep roots in genre films and his evolution into an emotional world-building director make him the perfect filmmaker to guide the Dark Knight through this next journey.”

Matt Reeves noted, “I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen.”

Batman was created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.

“The Batman” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

2. Walkabout

Regular

FAKE OUT. Hell yes. Let Me In and Cloverfield are two of the best American movies of the decade

solxace likes this.
  3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

YES! Reeves is solid.

4. Interesting, I'd heard that he was in talks for this, then dropped out. Maybe he was offered more money? hahah

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Sometimes Directors hold out for either more money or more creative control. WB needed to land him and keep the project on track so they wised up thankfully.

6. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Can he save this shitty universe?

7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

No mention of Batfleck or Geoff Johns hmmm...

Raku and Davjs like this.
  8. Yeah I honestly can't think of a better choice

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. Walkabout

Regular

I'm sure Ben is on board with Reeves attached. I wouldn't be surprised though if The Batman was his last project as the Bat like the rumors say. Hopefully he goes out on top, I love his portrayal of the character.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. Colby Searcy

I like it too, just sounds like he's not enjoying the negative critical reactions to the last few DC films.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I understand about half of the critical complaints about BvS but with that said.. I absolutely LOVED Batfleck. He was superb. If he leaves the role anytime soon, I'll be pretty bummed.

I just hope WB gets it together and knocks it out of the park with JL and now the solo Bat film so Ben decides to stay for longer. Give him all the monies too WB!

12. Walkabout

Regular

Yeah absolutely, that has to be what's bugging him. It took him a long time to get back on top in the critics' eyes after Gigli and all that. To lose that acclaim and good will again would definitely get to you, especially after the reaction to Live By Night, his passion project. That said, I really enjoy BvS, (the Director's Cut much more than the theatrical) I think it is unique and stands out in the superhero genre. My main problem with it is the typical third act CGI monster slugfest.

Davjs and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Well glad that's settled now! Really hoping for a good movie.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

It says it's a standalone movie so wouldn't it make sense if it's not in the DC universe

15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Still wonder if at all Leto is going to factor in this universe...

16. Colby Searcy

Standalone meaning is not gonna connect to the ongoing JL story.

Any movie containing DC characters would still be in the DC UNIVERSE

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I am cautiously optimistic about this now.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  18. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

I am stoked Reeves is directing! I just hope WB stays stoked enough on him to let him actually direct the movie. *cough* Edgar Wright Ant-Man *cough*

mattylikesfilms and coleslawed like this.
  19. God I hope not

20. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I fucking love both POTA movies, but Dawn is next level. Stoked for this.

21. Davjs

Trusted

I wish WB would have done that with Affleck instead, but we'll see how this turns out.

I hope so. I hope Deadshot, Harley, Croc and all the characters pop in for a bit, if only just to get punched in the face. This is the first time in live action we have a fleshed out world, I hope they use it to their advantage.

mattylikesfilms and Colby Searcy like this.
  22. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

directing is one thing, question is will the writing be solid and the production unmeddling enough because good christ this franchise is fucking blowing it right now

Raku likes this.