Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Matt Berninger - Serpentine Prison (October 16, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, May 19, 2020.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

had no idea about this record, let's gooooo

2. Someone let me know if that deluxe LP is available for UK/EU customers as well please as I don't see it!

3. Dog Fish

Mutt

what was the original date?

4. Dog Fish

Mutt

And goddamit, the first track released was the closer. Please god make this trend stop for us album-people.

5. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

I can’t wait for this

6. Jim

Trusted Supporter

song is really good

7. a good one

8. smowashere likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

can’t wait man

10. BackwardsWalker

Regular

Been tough to pull the trigger on $50 for the deluxe edition. Been going back and forth all morning!

11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

can't wait to listen to this album while drinking hella whiskey and getting hella sad

Meerkat, zmtr and Joe4th like this.
  12. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The opening to Distant Axis sounds so much like Going to Georgia by the Mountain Goats it’s insane.

13. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

that and ‘Crane Wife’ by the Decemberists

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

coleslawed and stars143 like this.
  15. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

This album is really really good.

16. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

17. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I was coming back to edit. I misread the title track single and then it started playing everything on Spotify and I thought it was the album. So I was three songs in when I posted and thought it was just playing from the beginning. Then Walking On A String started playing and I got confused. My mistake.

18. Importer/Exporter

I think the three singles are impossibly boring mostly and it leaves me wondering if i should reevaluate my thoughts on the past decade of the National. I will still check out the album.

19. zmtr

Trusted

lol what.. why?

20. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yes definitely reevaluate one of the all-time great runs of albums based on three singles from one member’s solo album.

Contender, neo506 and Carrow like this.
  21. I think this album is exactly what you'd expect it to be which is going to lead a lot of people to calling it boring, but I honestly think it's a really lovely listen. it's distinct from what the National has done in the last decade in the way that it is short and relatively undemanding and these are mostly simple and purely good songs.

22. Importer/Exporter Oct 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2020)
    Importer/Exporter

Don’t get me wrong, the last decade is A+ material lol i should have elaborated. But i view as the strengths of the band are has changed. I used to always think it was Matt and the drums. But i think the more i think about the past two or three records the more i think i don’t like his increasingly direct lyrical style, and i think hearing what that sounds like without the Dessners has made that apparent to me. I liked it better when you’d have no clue what the dude was going to say next.

it’s always been a component of his lyrics-writing (‘About Today’) but I’ve just never really liked those songs in their catalogue.

23. Importer/Exporter

A growing number of the songs he writes are “i said x / you said y / you walked away / i said come back” type shit and i think the arrangements give that gravity sometimes and these stripped down songs just allow it to become Starbucks music

stars143 and copperperson997 like this.
  24. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

25. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Alright. Time to hit play on this.