Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand (March 31st, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Micah511

You wanted a flower, but turned out a weed

this album rips, i cant stop listening to it. i kind of checked out on mastodon after crack the skye, sounds like the two before this deserve at least one listen through. the three track sequence of roots remain, word to the wise (probably my favorite), and ancient kingdom is absolutely insane.

Cameron likes this.
  2. swboyd

ancient chivalry is doomed Prestigious

Mastodon on Kimmel. The band sounds great live, especially vocally. I can't help but wish they wouldn't have performed the weakest song on the album tho.

3. Micah511

yeah, thats the song to play live for a late night show though. the also played steambreather, hopefully some good videos of that come out soon.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I like Show Yourself quite a bit actually. Whole album is great.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  5. Bane

The spiciest meme

holy fuck troy is wearing my at the drive in shirt, that's rad as hell

Cameron likes this.
  6. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yeah I like "Show Yourself" as well. Poppiest song on the record but in a good, fun way. It's also the album's lead single, So It makes perfect sense to play it on Kimmel.

Nate_Johnson and suicidesaints like this.
  7. chewbacca110

Trusted

It's hard for me not to dance during Brann's verses in Show Yourself. That shaker got me movin' and groovin'.

suicidesaints likes this.
  8. Micah511

i honestly love Brann's singing? apparently his voice was a point of contention among mastodon fans. i kind of checked out for the the hunter and OMATS. crack the skye and this are right in my wheelhouse though.

9. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Everyone who wrote off the last couple of records should go back and give them another chance.

nl5011, Cameron and chewbacca110 like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Once More 'Round the Sun is great. Not huge on The Hunter, but there are still some dope riffs.

11. DesolateEarth Apr 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2017)
    DesolateEarth

Birb

Once More 'Round The Sun has three of my all time favorite Mastodon songs ("The Motherload", "Asleep In The Deep", and "Diamond In The Witch House") and the rest of the album is very solid. The Hunter is probably my least favorite of the last 4 records by them, but considering it's still a really good album, that says something about how great of a discography they've got.

While we're talking about the past couple of records, weren't they gonna release an EP of Once More outtakes that were supposedly all longer, moodier songs? I wonder what happened to that plan? I was interested in hearing them.

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Well this was a very enjoyable listen and apparently I need to listen to more Mastodon. There are some real tasty riffs on this thing.

coleslawed and suicidesaints like this.
  13. atlas

Trusted

Finally got to give this a listen today the only way Mastodon should be listened to. Driving in the middle of nowhere with the sun out and the windows down. It ruled.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Has anybody checked out Arcadea? It is really good!

15. JM95

Trusted Supporter

Struggling to see past this as album of the year so far.

Breathtakingly accomplished in every area.

DesolateEarth likes this.
  16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  17. DesolateEarth

Birb

Agreed. So far nothing else has come close to it for me.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  18. DesolateEarth

Birb

This album has 2 grammy nominations this year! So exciting! They probably won't win Best Rock Album (they're up against Metallica and QOTSA so....) but I think they have a serious shot at winning Best Metal Performance. The only other nominee that I think could likely get it is Meshuggah.

Cameron and sophos34 like this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Couldn't get into this. But it has forced me to go back to both Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain. Both of which I never gave a chance and both of which are pretty damn great.

Also, The Hunter is extremely underrated and no where near as bad as some people say.

swboyd and suicidesaints like this.
  20. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Prestigious

Crack The Skye is my favorite Mastodon album.

Nate_Johnson, Ryan Garner and kyle like this.
  21. sophos34

alive and getting better every day Prestigious

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Fuck yeah

23. Bane

The spiciest meme

I was hoping for either them or Code Orange so I'm happy

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  24. sophos34

alive and getting better every day Prestigious

i like code orange but that thing belongs to the don

DesolateEarth and Nate_Johnson like this.
  25. DesolateEarth

Birb

Awesome!

Nate_Johnson likes this.