Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mastodon - an open-source, decentralized social network Website

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 5, 2017.

1. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

There's been a lot of buzz in the past few days regarding Mastodon, and frankly whether it survives or not, I think the technology behind it is very necessary these days and it's wonderful to see that technology being applied to social networking.

TL;DR: Mastodon is like Twitter, but better and safer. However, the community is nowhere near the size of Twitter currently.

Before rushing off and just signing up, I highly recommend reading up about it to fully understand how it works. I also recommend doing the same before simply shrugging it off as not being as straight forward as simply going to a website and signing up (while it still is pretty simple, you'll need to understand the decentralized and instances part mainly).

Main Mastadon Instance: mastodon.social - Mastodon
    Mastadon FAQ: mastodon/FAQ.md at master · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub
    The creator's blog article: Welcome to Mastodon – Eugen Rochko – Medium
    Wired Article: Could Mastodon be the social network to replace Twitter?
    Motherboard Article: Mastodon Is Like Twitter Without Nazis, So Why Are We Not Using It?

Issues that I see most likely arising is the fact that it won't be decentralized as the creator is wanting. Most users (myself included) will want to use the main Mastodon instance (mastodon.social) mainly due to the fact that's where all the newest changes will get pushed to first as well as that's where the largest community is going to be. Either way I'm excited to see what becomes of this. It's innovative to say the least.

2. Even though I signed up and messed around with Mastodon in 2017, I’ve been actually using it as a full Twitter replacement since Musk started letting all the terrible people back on.

Of course there are people I miss on my timeline, but enough of my circles of interest have migrated to make it my main social network of choice. I don’t post for the benefit of Twitter anymore. Sad as that makes me feel sometimes. Mastodon is full of cool and interesting people. Most importantly, I don’t immediately feel terrible when reading through my timeline.

Here’s an [invite link](https://mastodon.social/invite/HkP8J6LR) for folks interested in joining the primary instance, mastodon.social.

3. @Jason Tate I see Mastodon has been added to the Contact Details settings panel, but nothing is displayed. Not quite done yet?

4. Jason Tate Dec 12, 2022
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2022)
    Correct. It’s there and the info is saved, just not visible yet on the profile cause I wasn’t sure if url or username made most sense yet. Still playing with next integrations and stuff here, etc

anyway I’m here: https://mastodon.social/@jasontate

so far been using it more then I have Twitter in a while, since it feels so much smaller and less likely to experience context collapse

5. I think url, right? Making a rel=“me” link to allow for profile verification on Mastodon.

6. I’m toying with the idea of hosting a music-centric instance catering to alt/emo crowds.

This could live at:
    - emo.kids
    - social.discography.fm
    - other

Orrr… @Jason Tate could host it at a Chorus subdomain and limit invites to subscribers?

7. I do own encore.fm as well. I’m open to discussing some options of what we could put together.

getting the music people and bands to switch over would be amazing

8. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

That would be really interesting!

9. Hmm, so chr.us, encore.fm, social.chorus.fm / mastodon.chorus.fm are all also possibilities.

supporter / band / musician exclusive would be a good way to go

Elder Lightning, dylan and SeanOsman like this.
  10. Short and readable is nice, so encore.fm is a solid choice. But promoting the site is probably more worthwhile, so I’d vote for the social subdomain.

11. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

im still trying to figure out mastodon, but would absolutely join a chorus server over what im currently on. i think im so used to twitter curating things for me based on their algorithm that actually figuring out what i want to see is taking some time to get used to

12. My best advice is to seek out and follow hashtags related to things you like. For me, that means bands I listen to or hashtags I've found related to movies or TV programs I enjoy.

The more you post and follow, the faster you will find content you enjoy.

Jason Tate and LuigiPeppercorn like this.
  13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Checking out Mastodon and would definitely join or move to a Chorus server if you started one, Jason.

14. Elder Lightning

Is there a preferred mobile app for Mastodon? Is the official one good enough, or any third-party ones that are recommended?

15. Official one is totally fine and supports a few features others don’t yet. I’ve tested ~7 apps and use a combination of three:

1. Ivory by Tapbots (alpha TestFlight)
    2. Official client
    3. Mammoth (TestFlight)

Metatext is very good as well, but has recently fallen out of support due to developer life events.

Elder Lightning likes this.
  16. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

justin. and Elder Lightning like this.
  17. Come be my friend!

97436D11-1A67-4C84-9153-C65030279545.png

18. Elder Lightning

Mary V likes this.
  19. It’s so good. I’m so happy.

385E19B8-0A11-45FE-933A-A9C107F629F1.png

Jacob Tender likes this.
  20. Once push notifications are added, there will be very few reasons to jump around apps. I do wish new follows were included in the activity list though.

21. I think on Pauls new poll “notification tab” may be a way to do just that.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  22. There we go!

Attached Files:

23. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

man, that looks great. im still using the official app, which to be fair, does the job. but would like something a bit more in depth

24. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i think the twitter alternative will be the thing jack launches when that eventually launches

SeanOsman likes this.