Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mastodon - an open-source, decentralized social network Website

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by crunchprank, Apr 5, 2017.

1. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

There's been a lot of buzz in the past few days regarding Mastodon, and frankly whether it survives or not, I think the technology behind it is very necessary these days and it's wonderful to see that technology being applied to social networking.

TL;DR: Mastodon is like Twitter, but better and safer. However, the community is nowhere near the size of Twitter currently.

Before rushing off and just signing up, I highly recommend reading up about it to fully understand how it works. I also recommend doing the same before simply shrugging it off as not being as straight forward as simply going to a website and signing up (while it still is pretty simple, you'll need to understand the decentralized and instances part mainly).

Main Mastadon Instance: mastodon.social - Mastodon
    Mastadon FAQ: mastodon/FAQ.md at master · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub
    The creator's blog article: Welcome to Mastodon – Eugen Rochko – Medium
    Wired Article: Could Mastodon be the social network to replace Twitter?
    Motherboard Article: Mastodon Is Like Twitter Without Nazis, So Why Are We Not Using It?

Issues that I see most likely arising is the fact that it won't be decentralized as the creator is wanting. Most users (myself included) will want to use the main Mastodon instance (mastodon.social) mainly due to the fact that's where all the newest changes will get pushed to first as well as that's where the largest community is going to be. Either way I'm excited to see what becomes of this. It's innovative to say the least.