Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's What If...? (11th August 2021, Disney+) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Jul 21, 2019.

1. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

This one was the first one I didn’t really like.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it's pretty bad

3. Dodge725

Trusted

Yeah this was bad. Killmonger’s ideology was always what made him interesting and changing it to a simple revenge plot missed the mark. Plus all the main characters were the most unlikable versions of themselves.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

So I watched this episode, and I'm quoting you both specifically to comment on my thoughts.

I didn't dislike this episode; it wasn't as weird or interesting as some of the previous episodes, but I am still invested in how the world was left at the end and what will happen next, since the Avengers probably don't exist and with Shuri and Pepper joining forces.

It does make me wonder if these plots are going to be followed up on in a second season, since many of these episodes leave at clear cliffhanger moments that seem actively designed to lead to a Part II. I would be surprised if this wasn't the plan.

As for Killmonger, I agree with the first take more than the second. This did seem like a slightly more convoluted way to get Killmonger back to the same place he tried to get to in Black Panther the movie, except now T'Challa is the one dead instead of T'Chaka.

I'm not sure I get the take on them making this a "simple revenge plot" though. I heard and saw nothing in this episode that felt to me out of place in comparison to how Killmonger was in the movie. His motivation still seemed to be exactly the same here as it was there, unless I've missed something significant.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Also even if they simplified his goals to simple revenge, this isn’t the same Killmonger from Black Panther so it’s not like this ruins the character or anything. It’s an alternate universe Killmonger who just wants revenge.

I thought the ending of this one was incredibly abrupt and it made me leave the episode unsatisfied.

6. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

To the latter: I concur with the abrupt part, and I've felt that way about a couple of episodes now. It really makes me think there's no way these threads aren't being followed up on in Season 2.

To the former: This is the take I don't get though. Did he just want revenge here? It sounded like his motivations were exactly the same based on the things he said to Rhodes and based on the way he's playing everyone into going to war with each other. Is that not exactly what he was trying to do in the movie?

7. Anthony_

I was just saying even if he just wanted revenge here, it’s not like that means anything since this is an alternate timeline.

Penlab likes this.
  8. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The show does a pretty good job of capturing the same feeling I got from the comic: a bunch of ideas that are cool on paper but more often than not just end up being pretty ok at best in execution.

9. Anthony_

61EA821A-9E7E-4AE7-B963-956CD9554D50.jpeg

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I still think the doctor strange episode has been the best so far

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

New episode was okay. Enjoyed the fight between Thor and Captain Marvel

12. tomtom94

Trusted

I enjoyed this one a lot, was basically what I expected it to be, more in the vein of the first couple of episodes

13. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

This was a big fun goofy episode. I love everything about it. It was stupid in a really good way.

I presume that ending wasn't just a random development. And from what I've heard, it's not.

14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Infinity Ultron was on the poster so he’ll probably end up being the big bad of the remaining episodes

15. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Ugh think I’m just out on this show. This shit sucks.

Glad some of y’all are enjoying it, though

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

This is the kind of dumb, fun stuff I was expecting from What If. Interested in seeing where they go with the ending of this one

17. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah I haven't watched the past two episodes because I just don't... care? Aside from maybe the Dr. Strange and zombie episodes, these just haven't gripped me. I don't think I'll bother returning to it

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  18. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

So now that the vibe of the thread is being slowly murdered, what do you guys think the next episode will be about?

19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

So far I’ve enjoyed most of them but this one was a bit of a miss for me

20. tomtom94

Trusted

What if... HYDRA succeeded in taking down SHIELD

21. Dodge725

Trusted

They still have not done the Gamora, Daughter of Thanos one so that would be my guess since she already has a Funko pop and is featured on the show graphic on Disney+.

Penlab likes this.
  22. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, good point. I forgot about that. And I was also just trying to defuse the negativity a little, I guess, so I wasn't thinking.

I presume then that next episode will be about that, and then the last about Ultron. I wonder if there will be any post credits scenes to hint about Season 2 or to tie this into the larger MCU narrative.

tomtom94 likes this.
  23. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is how I feel. It was a goofy What If. I liked the light hearted comedy episode .

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I feel like this episode went a little too silly in some parts.

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This is the first episode I haven’t really enjoyed. Not for me at all.