Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's What If...? (11th August 2021, Disney+) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Jul 21, 2019.

1. GBlades

Trusted

In March 2019, it was reported that an animated series based on Marvel Comics' What If? comic book series was coming to Disney+. The series' stories will not affect the continuity of the MCU. The series will star Jeffrey Wright as the voice of Uatu/The Watcher and will debut in mid 2021.

Imgur Image

Cast:

Jeffrey Wright - Uatu/The Watcher
    All current MCU Cast members have also been confirmed to voice their characters

Each episode will examine a different crucial moment in the MCU's history and explore different outcomes, with the actors from the films reprising their roles for the show.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably the show that i'm most excited for

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

4. MidDave

Same. It looks like it's gonna deliver on the promise Wandavision teased and get. fucking. weird.

5. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Cool cool cool

6. phaynes12

yeah this one looks fun. voice cast is a bit suspect tho

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Marvel released the official list of all actors/actresses returning to voice characters. Looks like Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Holland and Brie Larson are the only big ones that didn’t return for this.

Andy Serkis (Ulysses Klaue), Angela Bassett (Ramonda), Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Benedict Wong (Wong), Benicio Del Toro (The Collector), Bradley Whitford (Agent John Flynn), Carrie Coon (Proxima Midnight), Chadwick Boseman (T'Challa), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Chris Sullivan (Taserface), Clancy Brown (Surtur), Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson), Cobie Smulders (Maria Hill), Danai Gurira (Okoye), David Dastmalchian (Kurt), Djimon Hounsou (Korath), Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark), Don Cheadle (War Machine), Emily VanCamp (Sharon Carter), Evangeline Lilly (The Wasp), Frank Grillo (Crossbones), Georges St-Pierre (Batroc), Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter), Jaimie Alexander (Sif), Jeff Goldblum (The Grandmaster), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), John Kani (King T'Chaka), Jon Favreau (Happy Hogan), Josh Brolin (Thanos), Karen Gillan (Nebula), Kat Dennings (Darcy), Kurt Russell (Ego), Leslie Bibb (Christine Everhart), Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk), Michael B. Jordan (Erik Killmonger), Michael Douglas (Hank Pym), Michael Rooker (Yondu), Natalie Portman (Jane Foster), Neal McDonough (Dum Dum Dugan), Ophelia Lovibond (Carina), Paul Bettany (The Vision), Paul Rudd (Ant-Man), Rachel House (Topaz), Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Sean Gunn (Kraglin), Sebastian Stan (Bucky), Seth Green (Howard the Duck), Stanley Tucci (Abraham Erskine), Taika Waititi (Korg), Tilda Swinton (The Ancient One), Toby Jones (Arnim Zola), Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor (Ebony Maw).

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  8. MidDave

Sounds fun

9. phaynes12

anyone watch yet?

bodkins likes this.
  10. bodkins

Trusted

I liked this way more than I expected to.

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I thought it was good. The animation is top of the line.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Watched the first episode and posted a video up on the ol' YouTube:

This was ok more or less - I'm not a fan of the animation. I don't really know what I want exactly, but this doesn't feel quite right for me. I also don't think that the voice acting is great - it's great that they had returning actors but either they weren't comfortable with the process, or because of COVID the recording process was isolated and awkward. But, overall it felt a little flat.

I'm hoping the future episodes actually get a little more weird - this was pretty straightforward save for the change of who becomes the super soldier.

13. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

This was fine. Animation is great, but the voice acting is... far from ideal. If you ever needed a clear example that irl acting =/= voice acting, this show is it.

14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

With Captain Carter being in Doctor Strange 2 I fully believe the tentacles belong to Shuma Gorath.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. MidDave

That was rad. Gimme more.

16. Anthony_ Aug 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2021)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That was pretty cool. Animation was really good. One nitpick with it was that Peggy’s choice to stay in the room isn’t really what caused this alternate reality. It was the Hydra agent’s choice to attack BEFORE Steve gets the serum as opposed to after. Peggy being in the room just allowed her to be the one to take the serum instead once that had already happened. If things had happened like they did in the movie just with Peggy in the room, then Steve would have still gotten the serum. Would’ve made more sense if like the Hydra agent had seen Peggy notice him and that made him jump the gun on the attack.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Dodge725

Trusted

Really liked this. I hope they play around more in these universes that have a lot of story still to tell in the future.

18. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoyed this. Animated Hayley Atwell weirded me out slightly at first, but I quickly got used to it.

I like that events move rapidly as a result of the episodes both being standalone and derived from already existing content, and they still managed to work in some cute character moments regardless.

Bring on Star-Panther.

19. phaynes12

the voice acting is truly worse than NPC in video game shit, but i enjoy the animation a lot

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Which is why Marvel should have got actual voice actors. IRL acting =/= voice acting

TEGCRocco likes this.
  21. phaynes12

well, i disagree. atwell did a very good job. it's the voice actors they recast for roles like steve and red skull, along with random background characters, who were absolutely awful.

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Red Skull was actually voiced by the same guy who played him in Infinity War and Endgame

23. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Steve and Red Skull were pretty easily the best ones IMO. Atwell did fine apart from a few lines, but Sebastian was REAL rough. Maybe it was just the script, but a lot of his delivery was very flat

24. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I didn't find myself having any problem with the voice acting while watching the episode. In retrospect, I guess a couple performances were a little stock; Stan and McDonough being the most notable to me. However, the most important cast (Atwell, Cooper, and whoever played Steve) didn't sound any different to me than I'd expect from a live setting, and I'm not sure the others were really given that much to work with.

25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

This was fun enough. The voice acting was fine to me!