Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's The Defenders (Aug 18, 2017) TV Show • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I'd rather have had another season of DD or JJ.
    But this was enjoyable. It did a good job of bringing each character in and I enjoyed their interactions. I wish they'd combine Luke Cage and Iron Fist into one show, I'd totally watch a Heroes for Hire show.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Finished this yesterday. It was enjoyable on the whole. It was really interesting how much Luke Cage's interactions with Iron Fist made Iron Fist more bearable. (I say bearable as Iron Fist's whole characterisation has been awful. I don't know if it's because the actor is bad or the writing makes his acting bad, but it's bad and a blip on the whole show.)

Even though the first two episodes were slow, I did enjoy how they brought them all together.

My favourite part was when Jessica Jones rips into Daredevil's costume. "The scarf looked better" and then "Nice ears!" - absolute genius and I love they directly referenced the criticism of the costume development from DD1 to DD2. Luke talking privilege to Danny was great as well.

Jessica & Luke were the highlights for me. I thought the support cast who had room to shine when they were on screen great too - Misty, Colleen and Claire. Matt was alright and understood his conflicting emotions but Karen and Foggy are getting a bit irritating. I know they care about him but still. And I didn't really understand the character motives/development of Elektra at all.

I'm not familiar with the comics but I wasn't too sure why a white woman was in charge of The Hand - even if Weaver was solid enough. The pay off when she died was great as I was completely shocked. The Hand ended up being a worthwhile adversary but I'm pleased we can (presumably) move on from that now. Having said that, I think I would have preferred Gao as the main leader. In my opinion the old, wise, controlling lady from her first few few outings was far more sinister and intimidating as a character than anything they achieved in this season. Agree where people have said that they were the weakest part of DD2 and IF but I think they just about made the most of it in The Defenders.

Is there a second season of The Defenders commissioned or was it a one off and they'll just continue the solo series (with an occasional cameo from another superhero?)

Hearing above that Iron Fist and Luke Cage team up in the comics... man, wished they went with that. I don't know if I could sit through another IF season. Although Colleen is such a good character I probably will.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

Wooooo! Besides that last ep that seemed to fizzle a little bit, this was a lot of fun. I could watch the defenders talking off each other all day. Glad all the side kicks got their time too. The series seemed to end in a place where all their characters can go off into their own Season 2s now, except DD and that cliffhanger :-/

Impressed with how well they did Danny since he was the weakest part of his own series.

Kingjohn_654 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

A thought it was weird we never got a moment with Claire and Matt. She didn't even see shocked to see him and vice versa.

awakeohsleeper and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  5. I can't take Iron Fist/Danny seriously, don't know why. Only weak link for me.

DD and JJ are the best that's come out of this universe though.

awakeohsleeper and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

I feel like his story made so much more sense and had more weight in this series than it did his own. That opening flash back on the plane was really well done in ep 1. You have to remember he was raised in a mountain though, so when he acts childish its because.......well he is a child lol.

Agreed with DD and JJ being stand outs.

7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The story of Iron Fist was that he was an awful Iron Fist who was dumb and easily manipulated.

The writers making that the story didn't justify him being so awful. Embracing and acknowledging a weakness doesn't always make it effective.

8. Davjs

Trusted

In the last fight in the cave, why was his Iron Fist so weak? The same punch that could knock around Luke Cage or break down walls wasn't really doing too much to regular hand members who were being punched by it.

9. Greg

His chi was drained or something else convenient to the plot or some crap.

Alba and Davjs like this.
  10. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Man, I just did a huge run to catch up by marathoning through Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders.

I liked Luke Cage. Not as much as Daredevil S1 or Jessica Jones S1, but it was a solid set-up and handling for him.

Iron Fist's story was alright, but the cast was really hit or miss. Like others, I just want the damn suit busted out.

The Defenders was solid. Like everyone said, it started slow, but gained momentum towards the end. I hope Daredevil and Jessica Jones get things back to personal stories focusing on their own characters. Daredevil is definitely interesting where they left it.

11. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I did the exact same thing.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

13. Greg

Kingjohn_654 and Davjs like this.
  14. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

The date was awful. Released during back-to-school when people were getting ready or helping others get ready for it. Meanwhile, Game of Thrones was finishing up, just as baseball races heat up and football is starting. It just seems like a time when people wouldn't be solely focused on something they know will be on Netflix whenever they want to watch it.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

A team up series might always have less viewers as people might think "I need to watch the other series to catch up before I jump in here".

TSLROCKS and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  16. ^^I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe people thought because they didn't watch all the solo seasons that they shouldn't bother with Defenders. Though, the Avengers movies typically make more than the solo movies, so I'm curious why the mindset would be different.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I just thought the story seemed uninteresting.

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Good point. My theory would be due to the series having 13 episodes of their own (26 in Daredevil's case), and then nearly 8 hours of the team up season which might seem more of a chore than a two hour film that everyone is talking about.

Hard to tell! Shame, I think it's pretty solid overall - especially after the Iron Fist disappointment.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  19. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I wish they'd combine Luke Cage and Iron Fist into one show and make it better than both of their shows. Then if they can give DD and JJ shorter seasons so the plot isn't spread too thin again.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I'd much rather a Heroes For Hire series than another solo season of Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I'd also like to see Moon Knight get a series, but that's just me.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Finally watched this and honestly really enjoyed it a lot. It's the perfect length for these series I think, the 13 episode seasons always drag for me but this never lost my attention at all. Chemistry between the characters was great and the action was really good I thought

Hopefully we get more of this at some point

RyanPm40, Davjs and awakeohsleeper like this.