Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's Cloak & Dagger (Freeform) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Cloak & Dagger is a Marvel television series that will premiere on Freeform in 2018 with a 10-episode first season. The series is created by Joe Pokaski and stars Olivia Holt as Tandy "Dagger" Bowen and Aubrey Joseph as Tyrone "Cloak" Johnson.

I love these characters in both their original 80s Spider-Man incarnation and the Ultimate versions that appeared alongside Miles Morales; this kinda reminds me of both. I am 100% all in on this series.

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thoughts on this being on Freeform @Tim? I think if they build this up like The CW/DC, it could work out nicely for Marvel.

3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Ehhhh.

4. Tim

I don't really watch anything on Freeform at the moment, but based on what I know of it, I think it's a really good fit. Cloak and Dagger are traditionally a dark, angsty, melodramatic pair of teens in love, which is totally what this is leaning into. The CW DC content is a decent comparison.

5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

For sure. I watch Pretty Little Liars and that's it on that channel haha. Kinda glad that show will be over with this season, though. Not sure why I feel the need to finish it, but I do. I think this will work well there. I believe there was some New Warriors announcement today, but I don't recall where that show will air.

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'm going to watch this, because I dig the characters and it takes place in the MCU, but I do have some reservations about it being on Freeform. Hopefully @Deanna is right and they manage to pull a CW DC-esque success out of it.

OMalley and Deanna like this.
  7. Anthony_

8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

9. Anthony_

It will be interesting to see if the two shows cross-over at all. The tones couldn't be more different, with Cloak & Dagger being super dark and New Warriors being outright comedic. I just don't want them to feel like they have to shoehorn in a crossover just because everyone is doing them these days.

Deanna likes this.
  10. Tim

My sister watched (watches?) PLL, but I never had any interest in it. The approach for that show is definitely a good fit for Cloak and Dagger, though.

New Warriors is gonna be a half hour comedy on Freeform, but that one I think would've been a better fit for ABC. With the tone of that show, though, it's really not gonna make sense to crossover with this, SHIELD, Defenders, or anything else; seems like it should be relatively self-contained.

The best show for this to share a world with is definitely The Runaways (a more established Cloak & Dagger actually showed up in that series' original run), but since that one is on Hulu, I don't know how that'll work out. If that had been on Freeform, it and this one would've made for a decent shared corner of the MCU, but both stories probably also make the most sense to be totally self-contained for the foreseeable future.

OMalley likes this.
  11. Tim

Wonder what other characters will show up in this. Based on the Roxxon sign at the end, seems like they're likely using that aspect of the origin from Ultimate Spider-Man instead of Silvermane and the Maggia in their original War on Drugs-era origins. Though, I could see them combining elements of both. (Fun fact: They were at one point retconned to be mutants whose dormant mutations activated during the drug experiments, only for the mutant angle to get retconned back out.)

Depending on the specifics of the Mister Negative rights, I could see him being used eventually, especially if this gets a second season. With the Roxxon angle, maybe Miles' friend Bombshell could show up at some point, too.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it definitely is a good fit. I think maybe ABC just already has a full slate so it's probably easier to fit show in on Freeform. Especially with PLL being done with this final half of the season that started last night.

I hope they don't force the crossovers, either. When it's that different of a tone, it doesn't make much sense. I might be most interested in The Runaways, though. I loved that series more than I expected.

13. Anthony_

Yeah I'm surprised The Runaways is on Amazon and not also Freeform. Seems weird that they'd fracture the streaming audience like that.

14. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

This might be a little too Freeform-y for me, but I'm glad these characters are getting some sort of on screen content, I love them a lot. Tentatively excited.

OMalley likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Contender and Tim like this.
  16. Tim

About dang time. I've been starving for some news on this.

Deanna likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

so pumped

18. Tim

EarlyMorningRiser likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Contender likes this.
  20. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Tonight!

21. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

I’ve only seen the first episode so far, but I enjoyed this. They obviously changed up their origin quite a bit, but I have no problem with the way they went with this.

22. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I loved the premiere. Honestly like it better than all of the Netflix shows except DDs1 and JJs1. The Netflix shows, as cool as they were at first to be the “dark” side of the MCU, ended up being extremely boring. This and Runaways are much preferred, despite my misgivings with latter.

Or maybe I just like teen drama more than endless poor fight scenes, lol.

OMalley likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

OMalley likes this.
  24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Starting off strong

OMalley likes this.
  25. Tim

Hope I get a chance to watch the premiere this weekend. I don't keep up with any shows anymore, but I've been hoping to see these characters for years. Pumped to see what they did w/ 'em.