Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (ABC) TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I recently caught up with the show. I got distracted from tv right as the Hive stuff started, but how I'm all up to date. This season has been very solid.

2. Flashbacks were good, but the episode felt pretty sloppy, like it was trying to condense 60 minutes into 45.

3. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Bummer they are taking off until the 29th.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Really interested to see if Johnny Blaze (?) comes back in some capacity. Could be a good foil.

The stuff with the director is pretty confusing to me. He seems to stop caring about Robbie when he gets his ass kicked.

This whole season is a little messy, but I'm enjoying it. Hopefully it gets a little bit more cohesive going forward.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Robbie Reyes' creators, Felipe Smith and Tradd Moore, on set. Short video that doesn't go deep or anything, but it's always cool seeing comic book people watch their creation come to life.

6. Watching this right after The Flash, I realized something about myself as a viewer: I'm more inclined to respond more strongly to "Oh god no, what the fuck just happened" (example: Ghost Rider going into Mack) than to "hah, that's cool" (Barry and Oliver vs everyone else) or even "ooh, drama" (when Barry tells everyone about Flashpoint). I think that's why I've always preferred Adventure Time over Steven Universe, and why I'm starting to realize I prefer SHIELD over any one of the DC/CW shows: I like a show that can blow my mind and leave me literally wide-eyed while still managing to carry around the same level of emotional weight.

tl;dr - this current season of SHIELD is fantastic.

Raku likes this.
  7. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

It's so weird that you posted this, because I had this EXACT thought last night after watching SHIELD after Flash. Usually i think Flash nails the feels and stuff, but the kind of plots going on in SHIELD are just way more satisfying to watch. This season has been phenomenal too. Loved this episode. Can't wait to see what happens now that Aida made herself a magic brain.

8. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Btw, were the gloves that Aida created essentially a form of the slink ring thing from Doctor Strange movie?

9. Tim

This week's episode really was great. Agents of SHIELD has such a habit of going in multiple directions at once, but somehow bringing various parts together at just the right time. I can't wait to see what happens with this android who has been taught to lie for a perceived greater good and who has access to the Darkhold.

10. I really hope that's not the last we see of Ghost Rider. Pretty underwhelming way to go.
    Also, I like how all the threads this season are now tying together, but really? An AI big bad after they did it in Age of Ultron? Also, why are there always two Mays? It's one thing for the show to retread a movie in the MCU, but for it to retread itself is just, ugh. The episode just before this one was so good, but now I'm not as excited for the rest of the season.

11. as_we_learn

Tomorrow's Just Too Late Prestigious

Finishing up season 3 and Skye is literally the worst character. She's constantly throwing fits and being wrong for the most part.

idlehands likes this.
  12. idlehands

Yeah, I have to completely agree. I'm only at the beginning of the fourth season but holy crap her character is terrible and just keeps getting worse.

as_we_learn likes this.

13. wait why does it look like chloe is in a cage

oh

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

A lot of shit happened in this weeks episode. Really enjoyed it.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

do androids dream of electric sheep?

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I feel like they are implying Coulson is the Watcher.

17. Tim

I actually somehow didn't watch any of this show since it came back, so I had to catch up these past couple days. (Not that many episodes, really, but with all my free time lately, it's weird I let it build up like that.)

Man, this season is one of my favorite seasons of comic book television I've ever seen.

I've always defended SHIELD as better than the average person gives it credit for, but it's always had clear flaws. Even the best stretches of episodes have had issues that kept it from reaching its full potential. But, not this year. The whole Ghost Rider arc had a lot of good, with the only major misstep being renegade Daisy (which still led to some good moments). And, now that she's been reinstated and the focus has shifted to LMDs, things have only gotten better. Aida totally could've become a lesser version of Ultron, but instead, she's become every bit as interesting as one of my fav MCU characters, Vision. Every other major character is at their best, too.

At a time when every comic book series, from the CW to Netflix, gets justified criticism for spreading stories out across too many episodes, SHIELD has found a way to weave multiple plots into a cohesive whole that keeps the season consistently fresh and moving at a brisk pace (something past seasons majorly struggled with) while still giving characters enough room to breath. Apparently this season has three major arcs; with how much I loved Ghost Rider and love LMD, I can't wait to see what #3 is.

This and Supergirl are easily my two favorite comic book series at the moment, largely for a lot of the same reasons. Hopefully people who didn't stick through this one through its many bumps, especially early on, check this season out when it hits Netflix and enjoy it as much as I have.

18. Tim

One last thought: With all the (understandable and not 100% unfair) criticism this show gets as the awkward little brother of the Marvel Netflix world, it's hilarious that this season is totally rocking it while the next Netflix series, Iron Fist, looks like a total waste of time. Too bad more people will give that season a shot than this one. Oh well.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I wish this was on the UK Netflix. Would definitely catch up with it but I got so far behind...

I'll watch Iron Fist because I'm interested in the Defenders but it does look a little underwhelming. Such a shame after JJ and Luke Cage.

Tim likes this.
  20. Tim

I'll watch the first episode of Iron Fist, but it's really up to the supporting cast to make me want to watch the whole thing. From what I've seen, I just don't care about Danny himself and don't see that changing.

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Bumping this thread to say:

Hooooollllyyyyyyyyy fucking shit that episode.

22. Really good Fitz/Jemma and Daisy/Jemma scenes/performances. Really good episode overall.

Tim likes this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This episode fucked me up.

Tim and Deanna like this.
  24. Tim

Yeah, wow, this week's episode was incredible. So many effective moments in so many ways. Always nice to get these chances for the cast to prove how good they are.

Can't wait to see how next week goes. The "return" of Ward should be cool, and Mack having his kid in the Framework could have a really heart-wrenching payoff.

25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Hate to break it to you but next week isn't until April 4th